Does McD survive this year?

MAJBobby

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Singletary has hads 20 carries....in 4 games.  His YPC are meaningless at this point.  He's an afterthought for Daboll.  Their "run" game begins and ends with Frank Gore.

Let's add 9 receptions and he's still at nearly 8 yards per touch. Why wouldn't you give him the ball more often? It really seems a better option than dismissing 29 touches as luck, or whatever. I truly don't understand why some are dismissing this rookie who was billed as a playmaker, and is currently living up to the hype? He just had a TD last week, where is this pessimistic attitude coming from? Of course you give him the ball more.

Daboll has been uninspiring and unimaginative to say the least. He's not scheming to any of the players strengths.

You know who'd be a decent OC with this collection of players? Greg Roman. Yeah that's right! I said it!

His skill set designing run plays with Gore (Power), Singletary (Elusive), Yeldon (Pass Catching) and a sprinkle of McKenzie (Speed) would be pretty good, IMO of course.

G    YDS    YPA    COMP%    TD-INT    RAT     Baker Mayfield
7    1690    7.4    57.6              6-12       67.8

G    YDS    YPA    COMP%    TD-INT    RAT      Josh Allen
7    1493    6.7     60.1               9-7          80.4 

Both teams need better pass protection and then see what happens    

6 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

But he was mentioned as a hot candidate for upcoming head coach jobs. These mentions were baffling to me as great offensive minds have their teams average 25ppg minimum. 

As we've seen all over the league, if you've been within 50 feet of Belichek's dirty jock strap, you are the next big thing in coaching. Feel bad for whoever jumps on the Daboll grenade.

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

But what has Singletary really done to demonstrate that he's a "playmaker?" He's been productive with his touches, but I just don't see any explosion or burst. The vast majority of his yards have come via wide open space.

I understand that he wasn't drafted to be a workhorse, but I also don't know that he's really got enough going on to even be considered a valuable change of pace back.

Didn't like the pick at the time. Don't like it now. Maybe Daboll is just an idiot(quite possible) or maybe he doesn't believe Devin is going to do much when he has to make a play in traffic.

Worst thing is that we desperately need a playmaker in the backfield. I agree that they made a mistake going into the season with this stable of running backs. At any rate, they do need to get DS the ball more often because he's at least theoretically capable of popping off 20 plus yard gains. There just aren't any dynamic offensive "weapons" and I think he was/is supposed to be that guy.

But yeah, this is a silly question. The Bills will almost certainly finish the season above 500 and that's not going to precipitate a change at the HC position nor should it. Gotta stick with him at least one more year for better or worse.

I think we are on the same page here.  I don't get the hype on a guy with 20 total NFL carries. I think at best he projects to a change of pace back. 

With an offense that struggles with consistency (That is putting it nicely), I think the safe bet is Gore where he gets you a couple yards every time he touches the ball. You are probably right that DS struggles in traffic or between the tackles.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My initial reaction was yes but after seeing some of McD W/L stats, blowouts, opponents avg offenses that kill his teams, etc etc. After starting 5-1 and should there be a collapse to, say 9-7 and not get in or get in and lose 1st round, IDK, I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk he stays. Maybe put some pressure on him to make DC/OC changes because they both stink and go from there, he would still be on the hot seat in 2020. 

After 3 years McD seems to be an adequate coach against bad teams and a bad coach against good teams who is frequently out coached way too many times. 

On 10/28/2019 at 9:14 AM, George C said:

Oh brother.ll here comes the bandwagon fans who want instant super bowls .

Do you want to become the Browns?

Of course we stick with this group..for the next foreseeable future.

We need more talent, and it’s coming through the draft..

How dare these fools demand instant success!

Sure, we haven't won a playoff game in twenty-four years, but these things take time! 

Fools!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pop gun said:

My initial reaction was yes but after seeing some of McD W/L stats, blowouts, opponents avg offenses that kill his teams, etc etc. After starting 5-1 and should there be a collapse to, say 9-7 and not get in or get in and lose 1st round, IDK, I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk he stays. Maybe put some pressure on him to make DC/OC changes because they both stink and go from there, he would still be on the hot seat in 2020. 

After 3 years McD seems to be an adequate coach against bad teams and a bad coach against good teams who is frequently out coached way too many times. 

I have are opposing concerns. 

1) Consistency and continuity are both needed for success.  Changing coaches means changing schemes, and that always sets a team back.  Even if the new hire swears he'll leave the good parts alone history shows us it's overwhelmingly likely, he won't.  A 3-year coaching carousel is the path to perpetual mediocrity.

2) As the DeMotivator says, "Consistency: it's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up"  I am concerned that McDermott and Daboll are checkers players in a league where the ultimate winners play chess.  He's not alone in that - I would say the same about a number of other contending coaches.  But I think it's a legit concern.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

You Friggin people one bad loss and y'all want to fire everyone.

How many times did we take a beat down during the SB years, plenty. 

This team will come back angry and play lights out this week.

It's not like we were 2-5 at this point last year.