Does McD survive this year?

MAJBobby

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Exactly.

Has he not played enough football in his life to understand there may need to be an adjustment to a deep ball in 25 mph gales? 

I didn’t understand what he was doing at all on that play. 

He was running a go route and expected to take it to the house given how open he was. Also, given that the wind was at his back and Allen almost always badly overthrows his deep balls, why would he expect it to land short? I don't blame him for the play. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am not surprised at the Singletary touches. He had 10 touches total, the first two games of the season. 10 touches after coming back from injury over 2 games. I think Singelary is a good change of pace back not a workhorse. Sort of a combination between Spiller and McCoy.

This issue isn't that DS is not getting touches, the issue is we don't have a great stable of backs or a feature back like Shady. 

You don’t take a RB in the 3rd round if you only want to use him as a change of pace runner who gets minimal touches. That’s just stupid.

• Like (+1) 2

I feel like he will be canned after next year.  The Bills are showing us who they are after about half the season, at what point do we believe what we are seeing?  They are a team that finds ways to win against bad teams, coin flip against "ok" teams, and has a high probability of losing against good teams.  Playing the schedule game...

• Washington - Win
  • Browns - Loss
  • Dolphins - Win
  • Broncos - Win
  • Cowboys - Loss
  • Ravens - Loss
  • Steelers - Loss (or win this game but lose Broncos game)
  • Patriots - Loss
  • Jets - Win

Final record 9-7, miss the playoffs, Allen looks about the same that he does now.  Coach keeps his job (and he should), OC is potentially fired.  They go into next year facing a tougher schedule and potentially a new offensive system, Allen does not progress as much as we would like, they go 5-11, Coach is fired after four seasons and one playoff appearance.

I HOPE I AM WRONG.  But this staff is going to live and die with Allen, and I feel like they *think* they can continue to win games 17-14, with a strong defense and a limited offense. We have seen this thinking dating back to his first year as coach & Tyrod, and this season has given me no reason to think differently.  The lagging indicators look great - they are WINNING.  But the leading indicators and looking beyond the winning...I just do not feel like the winning can be sustained with the upcoming schedule and their playing style.  

Hope I am wrong....

Edited by Z-Mann

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He was running a go route and expected to take it to the house given how open he was. Also, given that the wind was at his back and Allen almost always badly overthrows his deep balls, why would he expect it to land short? I don't blame him for the play. 

Shouldn't expect anything.

Should track and adjust to a ball that’s in the air for 4 seconds and at least attempt to make a play on it.  Sometime it even meaning fighting through coverage. 

Im not blaming him for anything, but it shows why he’s not much of a deep ball threat despite his speed. 

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Let me start off by saying not a chicken little thread and I know that we are 5-2 and still have a favorable schedule to get to the playoffs. But that also goes to what I am about to say. 

Let’s say the Bills do not right the ship. If this season goes like seasons in the past of collapsing down the stretch after a 5-1 now 5-2 start does McD survive?  

With all the talk of the DNA and Standards and Process you you think McD survives a Bills collapse?  

BTW add another Blowout loss to the McD resume. 

If you have to say it's not a chicken little thread, it's probably a chicken little thread...

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Z-Mann said:

I feel like he will be canned after next year.  The Bills are showing us who they are after about half the season, at what point do we believe what we are seeing?  They are a team that finds ways to win against bad teams, coin flip against "ok" teams, and has a high probability of losing against good teams.  Playing the schedule game...

• Washington - Win
  • Browns - Loss
  • Dolphins - Win
  • Broncos - Win
  • Cowboys - Loss
  • Ravens - Loss
  • Steelers - Loss (or win this game but lose Broncos game)
  • Patriots - Loss
  • Jets - Win

Final record 9-7, miss the playoffs, Allen looks about the same that he does now.  Coach keeps his job (and he should), OC is potentially fired.  They go into next year facing a tougher schedule and potentially a new offensive system, Allen does not progress as much as we would like, they go 5-11, Coach is fired after four seasons and one playoff appearance.

I HOPE I AM WRONG.  But this staff is going to live and die with Allen, and I feel like they *think* they can continue to win games 17-14, with a strong defense and a limited offense. We have seen this thinking dating back to his first year as coach & Tyrod, and this season has given me no reason to think differently.  The lagging indicators look great - they are WINNING.  But the leading indicators and looking beyond the winning...I just do not feel like the winning can be sustained with the upcoming schedule and their playing style.  

Hope I am wrong....

'They are a team that finds ways to win against bad teams, coin flip against "ok" teams, and has a high probability of losing against good teams.'

You are totally right with this.

I cannot think of a big signature win under McDermott against a BETTER team. Maybe Minnesota, that's it.

if we keep beating the bad teams he will keep his job but we do lose to the better teams and there will be a point where this starts to be highlighted.

WE LOSE TO THE BETTER QBS AND BETTER COACHES. 

(The browns game is one this bills could win).

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

If you have to say it's not a chicken little thread, it's probably a chicken little thread...

giphy.gif

Or I have to say it because I know how a majority of this board will react to a question that is being critical of the HC.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Or I have to say it because I know how a majority of this board will react to a question that is being critical of the HC.

Well, yeah.. Cause you're asking a sensationalist question that is based on a huge hypothetical while the whole board is reeling from an emotional loss... Just because you dress it up, doesn't mean it's any less pointless. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, yeah.. Cause you're asking a sensationalist question that is based on a huge hypothetical while the whole board is reeling from an emotional loss... Just because you dress it up, doesn't mean it's any less pointless. 

5-2 record is great but we've been really poor since the bye. That falls on coaching.

Although there has been good there has been bad and we could have lost at least one other game realistically. I'm sorry but we DO NOT KNOW if this is a good team now even though the record is good at this point. 

3 minutes ago, london_bills said:

'They are a team that finds ways to win against bad teams, coin flip against "ok" teams, and has a high probability of losing against good teams.'

You are totally right with this.

I cannot think of a big signature win under McDermott against a BETTER team. Maybe Minnesota, that's it.

if we keep beating the bad teams he will keep his job but we do lose to the better teams and there will be a point where this starts to be highlighted.

WE LOSE TO THE BETTER QBS AND BETTER COACHES. 

(The browns game is one this bills could win).

Agree, I can see them winning or losing the Browns game.  I still feel like the Patriots will have something to play for, whether it's a 1 seed or undefeated season, so that's a loss.  I just feel like the Browns game is going to be a critical one, especially if they split against the Steelers and Broncos.  If they can win two of those three games, I feel like they have a shot at 10 wins and a playoff spot....

Emotional Loss?  They were outplayed and outcoached and their Defense that has all the assets on it just gashed for 218 on the ground in a game everyone knew they were running, so to ask a question about the Coach that is grounded in History is not pointless.

How would this team be right now if

NYJ could kick or dont lose Mosley?

If Josh doesnt complete the Comback against Bengals?

If Tenn could Kick?

If Fitz doesnt throw a pick on the 2?

16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You don’t take a RB in the 3rd round if you only want to use him as a change of pace runner who gets minimal touches. That’s just stupid.

Unsure if you are talking to me or McBeane, because that is exactly what seems to be happening. He has 20 carries over 4 games. We are way down on rushing attempts this yea. It is odd. Taking out any Allen rushes, we averaged about 22.5 carries per game in 2018, we are at about 18.5 on average this year. 

Yesterdays loss has sparked a lot of negativity.  A collapse would mean 8-8 and I still think we can win 10 games with this team against this schedule.

Terry and Kim must be tired of making coaching changes.  McD will continue to be the coach for a few more seasons at least. 

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

5-2 record is great but we've been really poor since the bye. That falls on coaching.

Although there has been good there has been bad and we could have lost at least one other game realistically. I'm sorry but we DO NOT KNOW if this is a good team now even though the record is good at this point. 

2-1 since the bye with a loss to the team that won the Superbowl two years ago.. In fact, our only losses are against the most recent SB winners.

You also don't know if they are a bad team. You don't know anything except what the record says.. which is 5-2.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Emotional Loss?  They were outplayed and outcoached and their Defense that has all the assets on it just gashed for 218 on the ground in a game everyone knew they were running, so to ask a question about the Coach that is grounded in History is not pointless.

How would this team be right now if

NYJ could kick or dont lose Mosley?

If Josh doesnt complete the Comback against Bengals?

If Tenn could Kick?

If Fitz doesnt throw a pick on the 2?

Yes. Emotional loss. Emotions are high after that loss.. Why is that confusing? 

Oh cool! More "what ifs" on top of your hypothetical.

I have a couple too...

What if Josh Allen doesn't throw those interceptions vs. NE. What if he doesn't get hurt. What if he doesn't fumble that football against the Eagles. What if Hyde doesn't take a bad angle on the Sanders run. What if we had drafted Tom Brady. What if we had traded for Bill Bellicheck. What if the earth was flat. What if we're actually in the matrix?

I get where you're coming from, and you're entitled to whatever opinion you desire and I'm not faulting you that at all... That being said, you might want to find an umbrella cause your "not a chicken little" post is coming across a little "sky is probably falling". 

;)

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Which is too bad that some have blinders on; after the past two weeks, McD and his staff need to be questioned.  You can't beat (and in some cases barely) bad to mediocre teams and loose to good to decent teams (albeit Philly is struggling) and not be questioned.  

4 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

If we lost 17-0, would that be a blowout?

Yes, that would be a blowout

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That would b a three score loss right?  And it would be even worse because they are shut out

It is 3 scores yes, but I wouldn't say we got blown out losing 17-0. To me 4 or 5 scores is a blowout. Like when we lost by 37 to the Saints in 2017, or losing by 30 the next week to the Chargers or the 44 point loss we had to the Ravens in the season opener last year. 31-13 isn't a blowout