Lack of Singletary touches

Big Gun

Another country agrees with you:

Jay Skurski "Upon Further Review" "It's time for Devin Singletary to Get More Touches"
(TBN Blitz, may be paywall)

The rookie running back inexcusably did not get a carry in the first half of Sunday’s 31-13 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles at New Era Field.

In the first Bills drive of the 3Q "Singletary capped the drive by taking a flare pass 28 yards for a touchdown on a third-and-13 play. That cut the Bills’ deficit to 17-13 with 9:44 left in the third quarter.  It also raised a fair question – shouldn’t more be done to get Singletary involved sooner?

It's been said by many that a rookie QB's best friend is a strong run game.  Even Tom Brady was asked to QB against the background of a strong rush game that helped carry the offense during his first year starting in NE, when the team went 11-5 and won his first SB: 473 rush attempts to 489 pass attempts, #13 rush offense and #22 pass offense.

Dak Prescott, Jared Goff, and even Deshaun Watson have benefited by a reliable rushing game.  But somehow it's not a priority here, with a QB drafted as a known project.

Devins stats, avg 5 rushes 2.3 receptions for 7.3 touches per game and avg 57.5 combined yards/game or 7.9 yards everytime he touches the ball. Must not be good enough to keep him on the field. Maybe Gore has bonus clauses for touches or something. 

Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD 1D Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       4 1 20 172 1 7 23 8.6 43.0 5.0 12 9 58 6.4 1 1 28 2.3 14.5 75.0%   29 7.9 230 2 0  
2019 22 BUF rb 26 4 1 20 172 1 7 23 8.6 43.0 5.0 12 9 58 6.4 1 1 28 2.3 14.5 75.0% 4.8 29 7.9 230 2 0  

Edited by pop gun

11 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I kept seeing Singletary open in the flat for passes where Allen looked at him but then looked back down the field...most ended up incomplete. Like he wanted to throw it to him but just couldn't let himself throw it short

He had 4 catches for 30 yards and the TD play was 28.... They were getting to him quick in the flats, Allen May have seen something different then you. 

I have been saying this since the first game that Singletary needed more touches.  It is mind boggling to tell you the truth. Everyone thought he would get more touches in his second game but he didn't.  I am not saying he has to start over Gore because Gore has had a good season so far but the rookie needs more touches. 

What I can't figure out is we pass more than we run with a 2nd year QB and the team does not not have enough weapons in the passing game.  Outside of JB the Bills do not have much for weapons.  JB is really a number 2 and outside of that there isn't much.  I like the fact that the team has been trying to pass more but if your QB is not getting it done how about helping him out by running the ball more.

It has been a common pattern with this team that when the running game is working they go away from it but when Josh struggles passing they continue to let him pass and forget the running game.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BananaB said:

He had 4 catches for 30 yards and the TD play was 28.... They were getting to him quick in the flats, Allen May have seen something different then you. 

I just mean I saw him almost pump it in his direction but pull it back, then when he went back it was too late, twice I recall. I don't care , just sucked after ending in incompletions instead

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

How many RBs in the NFL even get 25 touches per game in today's league? That's an insane number for a guy that the coaching staff clearly doesn't trust to be the #1 guy yet.

The list consists of one guy: Leveon Bell before he left the Steelers. 

EDIT: I just checked. Christian McCaffrey is averaging 25 touches so far this year. But still, it’s a small club, and I’m not sure anyone knows whether Singletary warrants joining it or would be able to sustain that workload.

A dozen touches? Yeah, absolutely...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Agreed.

The Bills need to commit to Singletary as their lead back, and commit to running the ball a heck of a lot more than they have been. They need to establish the line of scrimmage, get positive yardage on 1st and 2nd downs and give Allen reasonable distances to overcome on third down. From that, we should then be able to throw off play action, allowing us to take shots down the field for big chunk plays which is something we've lacked all year. 

Bottom line:  At the very minimum, it should be an equal time share.  Not talking about snaps, talking about primary ball carrier in the run game.  

Honestly, I think they should try and start Singletary and feature him with Gore as the power/short yardage back and pass pro back.  

But if not, then at the very least it should be more balanced with Singletary should start getting 10-12 carries a game with Gore similar.  

They also need to involve Singletary as a recieving back more.  Right now he’s seeing snaps as that, but looks to me he is being used more as a safety valve rather than a primary weapon in play design too often.  Daboll should know how to better use him as a weapon the way NE has used backs for years.  

This offense needs someone else besides Brown to be a play maker.  And while Gore is playing well in his role, he’s not a dynamic threat the way Singletary has the potential to be.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bottom line:  At the very minimum, it should be an equal time share.  Not talking about snaps, talking about primary ball carrier in the run game.  

Honestly, I think they should try and start Singletary and feature him with Gore as the power/short yardage back and pass pro back.  

But if not, then at the very least it should be more balanced with Singletary should start getting 10-12 carries a game with Gore similar.  

They also need to involve Singletary as a recieving back more.  Right now he’s seeing snaps as that, but looks to me he is being used more as a safety valve rather than a primary weapon in play design too often.  Daboll should know how to better use him as a weapon the way NE has used backs for years.  

This offense needs someone else besides Brown to be a play maker.  And while Gore is playing well in his role, he’s not a dynamic threat the way Singletary has the potential to be.  

I honestly thought before the season started, Gore was going to be a 4th quarter back and short yardage back.  

When the defense is starting to tire...Gore them up.  
I'm not sure what's going on.

• Like (+1) 1

While we all agree he definitely needs more touches; one of the reasons he isn't getting as much playing time is because he could be seen as a liability in pass protection as a rookie.  This can be an issue with smaller backs and those who don't do much pass protection in college.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

While we all agree he definitely needs more touches; one of the reasons he isn't getting as much playing time is because he could be seen as a liability in pass protection as a rookie.  This can be an issue with smaller backs and those who don't do much pass protection in college.

Maybe but that can't be the exact reason because the Bills have gone to an empty backfield quite often this year.  Even if that was the case he should still get more carries then what he has been getting.  They should be running the ball more than what they have been doing.

1 minute ago, Iverwig said:

Maybe but that can't be the exact reason because the Bills have gone to an empty backfield quite often this year.  Even if that was the case he should still get more carries then what he has been getting.  They should be running the ball more than what they have been doing.

I don't disagree at all.  It's just my conjecture, that perhaps he's not the feature back because he still needs to work on pass pro, assignments, and the bills run a lot of play action.  

6 hours ago, pop gun said:

That guy needs to have about 25 touches a game. 

He looked dynamic earlier in the year and still didn't get touches, he looked great on his catch and run for TD yesterday and didn't get many touches after.

Someone needs to be held accountable for him NOT getting more touches.

His skill is what got Shady cut, right? it wasn't Gores skill. These coaches need to be held accountable for Devins lack of touches. 

There are only 2 backs in the league getting 25 touches or more per game. It is Fournette and McCaffery. 

That said...I look at it differently.  Rarely do coaches have a guy on the sideline who is capable, but not used. The larger gaffe is that the FO and coaching staff didn't evaluate the talent properly and are reeling from a bad off season/pre season decision. I am not sure Singletary was ever ready to be a feature back.

Our carries(not touches) per game should have gone: 

~10-15 to Shady

~10-15 to Gore

~5 to 10 Singletary

Singletary and Gore's carries flip flop depending on game flow. 

16 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Ok, I hear that and am not disagreeing but if you give him the ball he doesn't have to worry about blocking.