Jerry Hughes 55

KW95 - JA17

Just now, KW95 - JA17 said:

Good morning all,

What is going on with JH55.  I havent seen much from him all year.  Often we read that STAR is not doing his job or Ed Oliver hasnt done much....Where is "the so called leader" on that line? 

Jerry Hughes is the same player he has always been.   He is a slightly above average number 2 pass rusher who desperately needs to play with a number 1 pass rusher to be productive.   He is the only person on the defensive line that offensive coordinators have to worry about.    He needs a Mario Williams level talent on the other side of him, not Trent Murphy.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, KW95 - JA17 said:

Good morning all,

What is going on with JH55.  I havent seen much from him all year.  Often we read that STAR is not doing his job or Ed Oliver hasnt done much....Where is "the so called leader" on that line? 

Last week on the Miami film, he was getting held a lot.  Like, a lot.  TBD this week.

• Like (+1) 3

He's always been an above average pass rusher with habit of getting personal fouls. His only good years came from playing with Mario Williams on the other end and Dareus/Kyle in the middle. He's not THE guy, just a guy.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SydneyBillsFan said:

Well this year he's playing like he's 55

Can you point to some specific plays that demonstrate 55-year-old level of play?  Feel free to use games where the all-22 is out

2 minutes ago, Buffaloed in Pa said:

Stick a fork in him.  Running in the sand

Same question - can you call out some specific plays in specific games that demonstrate this?

What I see is he's trying to rush the passer, but when he's the one they can focus on, he gets neutralized.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last week on the Miami film, he was getting held a lot.  Like, a lot.  TBD this week.

Seems like a recurring theme that I have pointed out for years on here.  He is blacklisted by the NFL.  I don't know why the Bills dont see this.

Can you point to some specific plays that demonstrate 55-year-old level of play?  Feel free to use games where the all-22 is out

Same question - can you call out some specific plays in specific games that demonstrate this?

What I see is he's trying to rush the passer, but when he's the one they can focus on, he gets neutralized.

and held a lot.

3 minutes ago, Pay_Poyer said:

He's still good enough to get pressure (although not all the time now) but not good enough to get a lot of sacks.  He definitely needs someone opposite him that the line needs to focus on at this point

He has become Aaron Schobel with regard to rushing the passer.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hughes gets held a lot almost every week...it's kind of unbelievable actually...if they would throw even half the holding flags against him he would lead the league by a wide margin.

• Like (+1) 2

Zero sacks and minimal pressure on the QB in general - it has been a pattern all year.

For whatever reason, he is currently ineffective.

Nobody would love to see him bury Keenum this week more but unless there is huge turnaround i cannot see it happening.

7 minutes ago, KW95 - JA17 said:

Seems like a recurring theme that I have pointed out for years on here.  He is blacklisted by the NFL.  I don't know why the Bills dont see this.

Yeah, Eric Wood indirectly and gently called him out in a media interview.  Said when he (Wood) was a young player, he'd get fouled or he'd get flagged for holding and he'd get in the ref's face and jaw at them.  Then he'd keep getting called for holding, while guys got away with stuff on him, big surprise.

So he said he tried shutting his mouth and treating the refs respectfully even when he pointed things out, and lo and behold things changed for him.

I don't think Hughes has tried that strategy, but even if he has, I think it may be too late in his career for a change to take hold.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

has somebody come in and referenced his pressures yet? that's usually the go-to.... the good ones GET HOME.

solid player..... but we need so much more from the rush.

Loved last year when I said JH was overrated and everyone on here was justifying his play with the PRESSURE STAT....