Josh Allen - week EIGHT report card

rayray808

16 minutes ago, 808 said:

For all the talk about we drafted josh cause of his arm cause he could play in buffalo weather it hasnt really worked. Now we make an excuse that the weather was bad for him. 

also i think he and ej have something in common and it seems they have “slow eyes” he has a stronger arm and gets away with winging things in late. But it seems very similar to ej. And i dont see many saying it that way. 

How about this excuse.  Buffalo sucks at developing and or attracting talent.  

29 minutes ago, 808 said:

For all the talk about we drafted josh cause of his arm cause he could play in buffalo weather it hasnt really worked. Now we make an excuse that the weather was bad for him. 

also i think he and ej have something in common and it seems they have “slow eyes” he has a stronger arm and gets away with winging things in late. But it seems very similar to ej. And i dont see many saying it that way. 

Thank you!

Funny how folks around here conveniently overlook this.

McDermott was all about Allen's big body and big arm and how it would "cut through the wind" blah blah during crap weather in Buffalo, NY.

Hasn't really panned out.  He is usually off by about 7 yards on throws over 25 yards as well.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/28/2019 at 8:35 AM, VADC Bills said:

His performance is a D due to mistakes at critical times.

I think we tend to be  very kind to Josh because he is young and we so desperately want to anoint someone as the next Jim Kelly we tend to sugarcoat the obvious.

• He needs to know the playbook better so he can under stand quickly where his receivers are.
  • Jordan Palmer stated he was working with Josh regarding anticipating what his receivers are going to do during the off season, this is still an issue with Josh.This is clearly evident when Matt Barkley comes in during a JA injury it seems as though the whole field opens up although JA has a better arm he doesn't see the field as good. We will never regularly score 20 pts a game or have 300 passing yard games until this happens. ( The Tyrod comparisons aren't far off)
  • Notice how Carson Wentz was throwing screens and swing passes. This is how coaching can manage the game for a young QB. This should be part of the game plan from the beginning of the game and not a halftime adjustment. Our coaching staff feels Josh is a little better than what he is at this point.
  • He needs better focus so some of these fumbles can be avoided.

I remember there was a time not long ago when QB's took 2-3 years to develop ( Drew Brees, Payton Manning, Aaron Rodgers) Josh is going to be one of these guys..hopefully because there is a lot of upside here but don't be afraid to draft a QB in round 3 next year.

I tend to be kind to Josh, not because he's young, but because the guys around him on that side of the ball need to improve in so many ways.  I can't blame all of the offensive woes on one guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm wondering if the kid has major doubts about the play calling. Josh didn't look like his usual enthusiastic self in the 4th qtr.

McD is turning Josh Allen into Tyrod Taylor 2.0

Feels like it .   To Me Allen looked off in his demeanor right from the start like he knew the gameplan and was not into it.  If McDermott wants to play it safe run the ball and go play action from a pro set  Right now  I hate this shotgun small ball thing were running.  I'm still hopeful the offense improves as the season goes on but it looks like were talent deficient again on offense..  We simply dont have any scary players on offense that can dictate to  a defense.  John Brown is nice but if he's the best thing we got going that isnt saying much

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Those stats are haunting though. The Buffalo Bills wrote the book on ruining a quarterback. I hope that Josh isn't the next in line.

If they keep making him a game manager its not going to help him. Seen as they don't think this is their year, they should let Allen loose. Let him play like he was at the end of last year. The worst that happens is he throws more interceptions. Maybe he will learn from it but if not you at least know what you have. 

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I was at the game. The weather was terrible for the Eagles too yet they managed to score 31 points.

I also remember being told many times that we needed Allen because he has a strong arm which is needed for strong swirling Ralph winds.  Bouncing passes into RBs and underthrowing a wide open WR with the wind at his back is concerning.

And he seriously needs to shake the fumblitis.

Good news is there is another game Sunday.

Go BILLS !!!!

I feel like both the right tackle and right gaurd and left gaurd and left tackle all need to be replaced unfortunately and Morse has looked very average , too many jail breaks on Allen and yes his deep ball has been atrocious this year and I can't understand why. If he's not being gang tackled and jail broke on he wouldn't be fumbling like this because people would be blocking their man instead of being spun in a circle and helping Allen off the ground etc. 

On 10/28/2019 at 9:27 AM, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

For me, its a C, to be a D I would have to believe he was one of , if not, the primary culprits in the loss. I know the tendency is to say 16-34  he had a low completion. That number is skewed by the late game when we collapsed and he didn't complete his last 9 or 10. The game was over essentially after the 8 minute drive in the fourth. Eagles knew we had to pass, and the offensive line, in particular was like a sieve. I will balance all this by saying, it was pretty much within the parameters of performance we'd expect from Josh prior to the later fourth quarter. He looked especially good on the third quarter TD drive that put us back in it temporarily. He had 2TD and no INTs- which we'll take, but he doesn't escape blame completely, he fumbled and he has to be better with the protecting the fumble. I'm sticking with a C, it's not a good performance, but it's not a huge step back. The team on the other hand........

I left during the 8 minute drive after the Howard run for 15 or so. I felt confidant that a L was coming and I don't want to sit there and see my team fail.  So, I missed the worst parts of his game and have a generally favorable opinion of how he played.  16/24 for 170 was not too bad in those challenging passing conditions. 

I also missed Josh's fumble because I was at a concession stand ordering a hot dog for my son and have yet to replay my DVR of the game.  So, throw in that series of plays that got them fg shot at the end of the half and my eyes saw an A game from Josh.

15 hours ago, DCofNC said:

You have a solid point, but I still contend this is more philosophy than personnel, both Beasley and Smoke can be 1000 yard guys, you have competent TEs and a line that's about average.  If Daniel Jones can drop 300 yards with FAR less, as a rookie, there is no excuse.  I never cared fir the Daboll hire in the first place and now we look at it and ask, is he a genius handicapped by Allen or is Allen being put in a box by this scheme?  Truthfully, I think Allen could be the most infuriating guy on the planet if they just let him play.  I could see him throwing for 400 yards and running for another 100 one game and barely able to get out of his own way on others, ya know, much like college.  Now we get nothing but mediocre.  That's coaching and thats execution.  I think Allen is better than the scheme makes him look.  I feel he has taken a major step backwards this year.  If you notice, he generally plays well in the hurry-up when his brain gets out of the way and he just plays ball, but they won't let it happen.

I whole heartedly agree it's a matter of philosophy.   They are trying to turn a gunslinger QB prospect into a game manager because they play not to lose on offense.  It's depressingly reminiscent of the Jauron era where the Bills took another first round gunslinger propspect with ball security issues, JP Losman, and tried to turn him into a game manager. 

16 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Feels like it .   To Me Allen looked off in his demeanor right from the start like he knew the gameplan and was not into it.  If McDermott wants to play it safe run the ball and go play action from a pro set  Right now  I hate this shotgun small ball thing were running.  I'm still hopeful the offense improves as the season goes on but it looks like were talent deficient again on offense..  We simply dont have any scary players on offense that can dictate to  a defense.  John Brown is nice but if he's the best thing we got going that isnt saying much

I don't agree with the lack of playmakers.  Gore is a HOF player, yes on the very backend, but he could be doing what AP is doing if you give him the ball.  Singletary is averaging about 73 yards a carry, but apparently isn't worthy of getting more touches for some reason.  Smoke was SCARY when he had a qb who threatened to beat the D.  Beasley is a nusance over the middle and regardless of their gamebreaker status, Knox, Kroft and Sweeney all found big play opportunities.  

The coordinator who can't tell if he's trying to be Nick Saban or Billicheat needs to go.  Early in the year, the short stuff worked and moved the ball, as soon as defences moved up and into the lanes he has had NOTHING to counter it.  In games where the Blitz is thrown at him like crazy, refuses to run a screen, tries to run screens against zone coverage.. wtf?!  Run a qb sweep against 10 men in the box. Again, WTF!?   Designing run in general for Allen who has been sloppy as hell with the ball, WTF!?!?!? 

Last year Allen threw the ball deep at every opportunity, often for nothing, but he's scared to this year.  They took the best parts oc his game away from him.  Don't use the big arm and stay in the pocket... welp, might as well have kept Peterman.  Why draft a guy who is a dynamic playmaker and try to make him Matt Cassell?  WHAT IS THE POINT?! I am NOT a believer in Allen ever reaching the promised land, but for F☆☆k sake, let him do what made you draft him.  You could not have taken a worst prospect in that draft to run this style of offense.

Edited by DCofNC

It's week 9, we've played 7 games, with 5 of those games coming against teams with a defense ranked 22nd or worse, and Allen is yet to get an A on his report card. 

I'm not an Allen guy, but I thought he'd be better than he's been, especially when you reflect on how many opportunities he's had against the NFL's worst defenses. 

He and our passing game still need to improve dramatically, which is a concern because so few QBs over the years have made a big jump in their play from year 2 to year 3. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

There’s a pooch with KY all over it up at OBD, but who did the screwing??

next week they will have made sweet love instead, no?

Go Bills!!!

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

I whole heartedly agree it's a matter of philosophy.   They are trying to turn a gunslinger QB prospect into a game manager because they play not to lose on offense.  It's depressingly reminiscent of the Jauron era where the Bills took another first round gunslinger propspect with ball security issues, JP Losman, and tried to turn him into a game manager. 

Why do people like yourself keep referring to Josh Allen as a gunslinger?

I don't get it.