Do the Bills ignore WR in the draft again next year?

Troll Toll

12 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I understand what you mean about Lee Smith, but Knox & Sweeney are only rookies and I believe they are only going to get better.

I don't see Tight End being that much of a need in the future.

Adding a playmaker or two would be huge.  Sweeney is an alright guy but let’s not get ahead of ourselves about his upside.  We could definitely do much better. Knoxs potential has me salivating.  Knoxs hands have me throwing up.  Allen and this offense could someone better than Sweeney 

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I love Singletary and think he’ll be a good player in this league for a long time, but the Bills create their own holes. I would’ve much rather gone into the season with Lesean McCoy and 3rd round draft pick Terry McLaurin. This isn’t a revisionist post based on the success Scary Terry has had thus far. The team needed a WR. McLaurin had good size, elite speed, and a productive college career. I thought he was worth a flyer. Adding Singletary when we had much more pressing needs felt like adding Spiller when Lynch and Jackson were already in the fold. RBs can be found in almost any round, the Bills continue to overvalue the position.

Easy to say now after watching McLaurin play..

On 10/28/2019 at 8:15 AM, mannc said:

There were a bunch of impact WRs available in round 2 this year, and we ignored them.  Meanwhile, we have zero offensive weapons. Zero.  Not one guy who defenses have to worry about.

In the last 3 yrs, we’ve  drafted one WR before round 6: Zay Jones.   KC already had Tyreek Hill, Kelce, and Sammy Watkins, but they still pulled the trigger on Mecole Hardman in round 2. 

Speaking of available impact WRs...

There was this guy named Watkins.  He actually used to be on the team before we gave him away for nothing.

That was after we spent enormous capital on trading up to get him in the first place.

True story.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Adding a playmaker or two would be huge.  Sweeney is an alright guy but let’s not get ahead of ourselves about his upside.  We could definitely do much better. Knoxs potential has me salivating.  Knoxs hands have me throwing up.  Allen and this offense could someone better than Sweeney 

Than how high of a priority is Tight End than any of the other positions?

57 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Than how high of a priority is Tight End than any of the other positions?

Not top priority.  I figured we would add whichever position we could get for the best value.  We were probably in the market for WR, DL,OL, LB, TE, and possibly RB.  He wasn’t going to overpay for anything.  Which seems to be the case.  

On 10/28/2019 at 8:49 AM, SoTier said:

McDermott ran the 2017 draft.  Beane ran the 2018 and 2019 drafts.  That's three drafts, and the hallmark of those three drafts is that the Bills consistently spent draft capital to move up in the draft order  -- Jones, Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, Ford.   Trading up for a first round QB is one thing, but continually spending picks to trade up for other positions isn't a very smart use of draft resources, particularly when the prospects drafted don't appear to be anything special while other players at the same positions taken later have turned out as good or better than the players the Bills traded up to get.   

Excellent, insightful post.

Beane and McD constantly state that they evaluate everything they do to try to get better.  Let's hope Beane and Co. fully evaluate their penchant for trading up in the draft, to consider whether it makes sense to continue into the future.  

3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Easy to say now after watching McLaurin play..

Guess you missed the part where I said his size, measurables, and collegiate production were worth the 74th selection. On a team that needed a WR. It wasn’t a revisionist post.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

...many of the TBD collegiate experts here say the 2020 WR draft is the "best in years"......sure similar comments are made every year about positions, but look at some of the stats from kids that are draft eligible......how could we NOT be in the mix?..............

Next year’s WR class is looking very good according to the people who project these things. The other big need this team has (edge rusher) is likely going to be filled in free agency as there look to be a number of good edge rushers out on the market and the Bills have the cap space to go after a big fish and a couple of other modest contracts while not impacting their ability to secure their own talent to extensions. So if they take care of the pass rush in free agency WR will be the biggest need on the roster come the draft and in a supposedly good WR class that all lines up for them to add a WR early in the draft. 

I think in round 2 they then go to RT or TE to add another piece around Josh but WR will be a big add in the draft as it just lines up for the Bills to take one. 

On 10/28/2019 at 8:21 AM, thenorthremembers said:

Everyone complains about the qb here but when is the last time we had an all pro wideout tight end or runningback?

They'll tell you RBs are a dime a dozen and shouldn't be drafted before rd 3 and use the Patriots as an example of why you don't need a true #1 receiver.

Wash, rinse, repeat.  They never learn.

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I think it's hilarious how many fans think another wide receiver will magically resolve Allen's difficulty in reading defenses, protecting the football, and throwing accurate passes.

What blows me away is how many people are perfectly content averaging 18.1 PPG on offense

This fanbase is delusional 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I think it's hilarious how many fans think another wide receiver will magically resolve Allen's difficulty in reading defenses, protecting the football, and throwing accurate passes.

A lot of a QB's development is having confidence and I believe a big, rangy target would absolutely inspire that.