Do the Bills ignore WR in the draft again next year?

Troll Toll

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I can't say it enough.....the 2020 class at WR will be the best in many years, if not the best I have ever seen. I don't even think that it will be possible to ignore the WR position.

This group is SO good that if Levy/Jauron were running the team, they might even draft one instead of an undersized defensive back.

Yes Bill, Levy and Jauron would have drafted another DB.  McD seems to like his Dlineman so...

52 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

You can't rule out pass rusher with the 1st pick......just sayin, kinda 50 50 odds Id bet.

I can see McD justifying that his defense needs another pick and going DE.  Murphy, Hughes, and Lawson's contracts are either expiring after 2019 or 2020.

3 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

I was pretty disappointed last year when we didn’t go after a receiver in Round 2. With the defense looking good to start the year, I figured we’d do something in the next draft. However, with the Dolphins and Eagles exploiting big weaknesses on our defense... do you think our defensive minded HC will prioritize the offense?

What do we do in UFA first? I could see us taking a WR somewhere in the draft. I don't consider it the most pressing need, I'd put RB ahead of that because Singeltary looked slow to me yesterday and while Gore's had his moments am not sure we keep him around long term. 

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Add one WR in the draft.  

Add 2 DTs (or one if we’re able to resign Jordan Phillips).  

trade Dawkins because he isn’t worth the big money he’s about to get.  Get his replacement at LT and a RT.  Slide ford to LG to replace Spain who’s on a one year deal.

add a good pass rushing DE to replace shaq. If we somehow resign Shaq, replace Murphy with that DE.

SLB and other LB depth.

TE- as long as I don’t have to see any more penalties on #85, I’ll be happy.  Geez.

We still have UFAs to sign. I think we keep Jordan as he having a career year and he seems to love playing here. One could argue he's been our best D-lineman this year. 

Watching Foster not even make the slightest attempt at catching the one long ball yesterday, reminded me we only have 2 viable  WRs on the team... which is 2 more than last year.   But, it's just mind numbing that they want to build a modern passing attack, that they call the game as though they do have a modern passing attack, but they only have 2 WRs on the roster.    So should we draft a WR?  Yes. 

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

What do we do in UFA first? I could see us taking a WR somewhere in the draft. I don't consider it the most pressing need, I'd put RB ahead of that because Singeltary looked slow to me yesterday and while Gore's had his moments am not sure we keep him around long term. 

Singletary looks fine. He just needs more touches. I don't get whey they refuse to use him. Every game he plays he seems to make a great play with only handful of touches. 

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

We still have UFAs to sign. I think we keep Jordan as he having a career year and he seems to love playing here. One could argue he's been our best D-lineman this year. 

I realize that.  I didn’t want to list every single move.  

1 hour ago, George C said:

What good did Watkins do for Manuel....

let’s figure out our defensive front...

This is disingenuous comparison unless you think that Allen is a bust like Manuel.  If that is the case, then why are you good with the Bills going DE instead of QB?????

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Your point is taken but do you put Josh in a class with Manuel?

I'm not sure that EJ would have played well if he had Randy Moss and Jerry Rice on his team.

I totally agree.  All QBs -- even the great ones -- need protection and targets to be successful.  The Bills have a functional OL that could be improved.  They have functional receiving corps that could use some significant improvement.   They need a true #1 WR who is sure-handed and fast enough to stretch the field.  He needs to be a good route runner in order to get open. 

IMO, the Bills are probably going to be drafting in the bottom half of the 2020 draft, so it's a perfect place to pick up top notch guard or center.  A lot of top OLers, especially  interior OLers,  come out of the bottom half of the first round like Pouncey and DeCastro for the Steelers.  Interior OL would be my first priority in the draft, especially with Morse  seemingly being concussion prone. 

I would like to see the Bills either trade for a top WR by tomorrow or sign one in FA rather than take one in the first round.   It's going to take a couple of years for a young WR to hit his stride -- if he ever does.   First round WRs, especially in the lower half of the first round, are very risky picks in that they seem to be either stars or busts.    If the Bills are honestly trying to build a winning team around Josh Allen then he's going to need somebody of the caliber of AJ Green or Julio Jones (two marquee WRs mentioned to be available).   A top notch WR can indeed make a mediocre QB look pretty good and he can make a talented QB great.  The Bills need to get Allen at least one.

Edited by SoTier

22 hours ago, SoTier said:

McDermott ran the 2017 draft.  Beane ran the 2018 and 2019 drafts.  That's three drafts, and the hallmark of those three drafts is that the Bills consistently spent draft capital to move up in the draft order  -- Jones, Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, Ford.   Trading up for a first round QB is one thing, but continually spending picks to trade up for other positions isn't a very smart use of draft resources, particularly when the prospects drafted don't appear to be anything special while other players at the same positions taken later have turned out as good or better than the players the Bills traded up to get.   The most egregious example is trading up to take Zay Jones with JuJu Smith-Schuster available.

Actually forgot it has been 3 years for McD.  Last year they had 10 picks.  Many here felt there would be trades as there really wasn't ten roster spots for rookies to take.  years prior, don't recall exactly how many picks they did or didn't have.   61 other teams also didn't pick Ju Ju, there's always going to be someone you wish you had picked instead.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Actually forgot it has been 3 years for McD.  Last year they had 10 picks.  Many here felt there would be trades as there really wasn't ten roster spots for rookies to take.  years prior, don't recall exactly how many picks they did or didn't have.   61 other teams also didn't pick Ju Ju, there's always going to be someone you wish you had picked instead.

Other teams didn't trade up to take Zay Jones though.  Passing on a prospect is one thing.  Trading up to take a lesser prospect at the same position is another but continue to make excuses. 

I sometimes see posts saying that they could see McD pushing for drafting D with the first pick in the upcoming draft. I just don’t see it playing out that way. 

the first reason is that last year, defense was very strong in the draft while wide receivers were...not incredible. So they drafted where the draft was strong and filled in via free agency (Brown and Cole). This year is crazy strong at WR. So they will draft where the draft is strong and fill in via free agency as is their M.O.

the second reason is that I see McD as a head coach and not a coordinator with an additional title. Some coaches that are large and wear red load up on what they know and neglect the other side. I think google ? is that kind of head coach. McD, I think, is more of an overseer who has much input but trusts in his coordinators and coaches. The BB model, if you will. 

so I think we can stay calm. Needs will be addressed with the strengths of the draft and filled in via free agency. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

I sometimes see posts saying that they could see McD pushing for drafting D with the first pick in the upcoming draft. I just don’t see it playing out that way. 

the first reason is that last year, defense was very strong in the draft while wide receivers were...not incredible. So they drafted where the draft was strong and filled in via free agency (Brown and Cole). This year is crazy strong at WR. So they will draft where the draft is strong and fill in via free agency as is their M.O.

the second reason is that I see McD as a head coach and not a coordinator with an additional title. Some coaches that are large and wear red load up on what they know and neglect the other side. I think google ? is that kind of head coach. McD, I think, is more of an overseer who has much input but trusts in his coordinators and coaches. The BB model, if you will. 

so I think we can stay calm. Needs will be addressed with the strengths of the draft and filled in via free agency. 

I'm pretty sure the draft is strong at DE also, which we clearly need too.

I love Singletary and think he’ll be a good player in this league for a long time, but the Bills create their own holes. I would’ve much rather gone into the season with Lesean McCoy and 3rd round draft pick Terry McLaurin. This isn’t a revisionist post based on the success Scary Terry has had thus far. The team needed a WR. McLaurin had good size, elite speed, and a productive college career. I thought he was worth a flyer. Adding Singletary when we had much more pressing needs felt like adding Spiller when Lynch and Jackson were already in the fold. RBs can be found in almost any round, the Bills continue to overvalue the position.

5 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Compared to which NFL teams ? 

So Brown and Beasley aren’t any good?  Foster has shown he can play.  Duke looks like he could be a gamer if given the chance.  The rest aren’t #1, but don’t have to be.

Play calling and o-line play are a big part of our “WR problem”.  When given time, Josh has shown he can play well.  Not going to have good numbers with anyone when he’s taking off instead of setting his feet, or getting jumpy in the pocket.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/28/2019 at 6:44 AM, NewEra said:

Add one WR in the draft.  

Add 2 DTs (or one if we’re able to resign Jordan Phillips).  

trade Dawkins because he isn’t worth the big money he’s about to get.  Get his replacement at LT and a RT.  Slide ford to LG to replace Spain who’s on a one year deal.

add a good pass rushing DE to replace shaq. If we somehow resign Shaq, replace Murphy with that DE.

SLB and other LB depth.

TE- as long as I don’t have to see any more penalties on #85, I’ll be happy.  Geez.

I understand what you mean about Lee Smith, but Knox & Sweeney are only rookies and I believe they are only going to get better.

I don't see Tight End being that much of a need in the future.