Do the Bills ignore WR in the draft again next year?

Troll Toll

I was pretty disappointed last year when we didn’t go after a receiver in Round 2. With the defense looking good to start the year, I figured we’d do something in the next draft. However, with the Dolphins and Eagles exploiting big weaknesses on our defense... do you think our defensive minded HC will prioritize the offense?

And then who's playing RT and DT for you?  You can't fill all the holes in one or even two drafts.  But yes I do think they will go for mote offensive players, in particular a WR and a tackle.  Doubt they will resign Spain so Ford moves inside next year, and draft or sign a FA RT.  Also could use another RB too

But they also do need a pass rushing end and depth at LB though the rookie on IR may solve some of that.

There were a bunch of impact WRs available in round 2 this year, and we ignored them.  Meanwhile, we have zero offensive weapons. Zero.  Not one guy who defenses have to worry about.

In the last 3 yrs, we’ve  drafted one WR before round 6: Zay Jones.   KC already had Tyreek Hill, Kelce, and Sammy Watkins, but they still pulled the trigger on Mecole Hardman in round 2. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

There were a bunch of impact WRs available in round 2 this year, and we ignored them.  Meanwhile, we have zero offensive weapons. Zero.  Not one guy who defenses have to worry about.

In the last 3 yrs, we’ve  drafted one WR before round 6: Zay Jones.   KC already had Tyreek Hill, Kelce, and Sammy Watkins, but they still pulled the trigger on Mecole Hardman in round 2. 

Youre exactly right on this.  I am not a big Allen fan by any means but the kid was literally carrying them as far as he could yesterday.  They need players who defenses have to key on.  They need guys who can take a 5 yard pass to the house.  Its been an issue for a long time here.

Everyone complains about the qb here but when is the last time we had an all pro wideout tight end or runningback?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Youre exactly right on this.  I am not a big Allen fan by any means but the kid was literally carrying them as far as he could yesterday.  They need players who defenses have to key on.  They need guys who can take a 5 yard pass to the house.  Its been an issue for a long time here.

Everyone complains about the qb here but when is the last time we had an all pro wideout tight end or runningback?

I’m not sure about this, but I don’t think we’ve had a pro bowl TE in the 60 year history of the franchise.  Think about the odds of that...

1 hour ago, Troll Toll said:

I was pretty disappointed last year when we didn’t go after a receiver in Round 2. With the defense looking good to start the year, I figured we’d do something in the next draft. However, with the Dolphins and Eagles exploiting big weaknesses on our defense... do you think our defensive minded HC will prioritize the offense?

I can't say it enough.....the 2020 class at WR will be the best in many years, if not the best I have ever seen. I don't even think that it will be possible to ignore the WR position.

This group is SO good that if Levy/Jauron were running the team, they might even draft one instead of an undersized defensive back.

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And then who's playing RT and DT for you?  You can't fill all the holes in one or even two drafts.  But yes I do think they will go for mote offensive players, in particular a WR and a tackle.  Doubt they will resign Spain so Ford moves inside next year, and draft or sign a FA RT.  Also could use another RB too

But they also do need a pass rushing end and depth at LB though the rookie on IR may solve some of that.

McDermott ran the 2017 draft.  Beane ran the 2018 and 2019 drafts.  That's three drafts, and the hallmark of those three drafts is that the Bills consistently spent draft capital to move up in the draft order  -- Jones, Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, Ford.   Trading up for a first round QB is one thing, but continually spending picks to trade up for other positions isn't a very smart use of draft resources, particularly when the prospects drafted don't appear to be anything special while other players at the same positions taken later have turned out as good or better than the players the Bills traded up to get.   The most egregious example is trading up to take Zay Jones with JuJu Smith-Schuster available.

• Like (+1) 4

Add one WR in the draft.  

Add 2 DTs (or one if we’re able to resign Jordan Phillips).  

trade Dawkins because he isn’t worth the big money he’s about to get.  Get his replacement at LT and a RT.  Slide ford to LG to replace Spain who’s on a one year deal.

add a good pass rushing DE to replace shaq. If we somehow resign Shaq, replace Murphy with that DE.

SLB and other LB depth.

TE- as long as I don’t have to see any more penalties on #85, I’ll be happy.  Geez.