Some positives from Sunday

finn

I was disappointed and frustrated, too, but I was also impressed by some things the Bills did yesterday. Allen played under control most of the time and kept his eyes downfield. The OL usually gave him enough time to make throws, and he moved well in the pocket to evade the rush. Gore played really well, again. Duke Williams had a pair of nice blocks on the Singletary touchdown. Brown came to play, as always, and Singletary's TD run showed what he can do if Daboll ever decides to give him the ball. Special teams smothered the trick play. The defense contained the Eagles most of the first half and had good momentum until the lost fumble.

In short, it wasn't all bad, not by a long shot. The Bills lost games like this even in the Super Bowl years. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What kills me is the play calls by Daboll where Allen immediately runs to his side after getting the ball to either set up to pass or follow through with a designed QB run. Those plays need to be taken out of the game plan because while they may have worked early in the year, the Eagles showed us that those tendencies are easy to gameplan for. Pretty sure we were 0-fer on all of those plays yesterday, losing the ball once, and putting Allen at risk for injury numerous times. Let Allen do his thing if and when the pocket collapses.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Maybe.  But let’s face it.  They got their butts handed to them- got outcoached, got manhandled up front, got lackluster performances from most players.  

These kinds of games happen from time time to time,  but they have things to fix before next week.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

Let Allen do his thing if and when the pocket collapses.

That was just about every play.  The OL has regressed or the play calling has changed.  I think they need to go back to the quick hitters to Beasley to slow down the pass rush.

• Like (+1) 2

Not to make an excuse but the SB champs from 2017  had just lost 2 straight and got embarrassed on National TV last week.

They were hungry.

I just hope this team composes itself before they face Washington.

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

That was just about every play.  The OL has regressed or the play calling has changed.  I think they need to go back to the quick hitters to Beasley to slow down the pass rush.

Beasely absolutely and I'd like to see quick hitters to John Brown too - he is more likely to take it to the house on a blown coverage than Beasely. Beasely seems to be a little too concerned about taking a hit sometimes and he goes down prematurely. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Conlan58 said:

Beasely absolutely and I'd like to see quick hitters to John Brown too - he is more likely to take it to the house on a blown coverage than Beasely. Beasely seems to be a little too concerned about taking a hit sometimes and he goes down prematurely. 

Agreed.  Quick passes to Beasley, Brown, Knox, Mackenzie, Singletary, etc.  Call plays that can be successful and don't get your QB killed.  The plays they've been calling put a lot of pressure on Josh Allen.

Daboll has to make a conscious effort to get Beasley the ball. He can’t be covered inside 5-10 yards. Rub routes, quick outs etc. He’s good after catch too. 

It it sickens me to watch Edelman in New England’s system, “same as ours” and we don’t use him the same.

Knox needs more quick targets.

I too am disappointed in Daboll.

Daboll has too many plays and over complicates things. Daboll time and time again has the wrong players executing plays that other players are better suited for. Daboll is about to lose Josh and then this is going to turn bad. I hope I’m wrong. The best place for Daboll is the booth. Bring down Allen’s QB coach to the sideline. Allen doesn’t need a hot headed negative guy on the sideline right when he comes off the field after a mistake. McDermott needs to understand Josh is 10x more important than Daboll.

4 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Daboll has to make a conscious effort to get Beasley the ball. He can’t be covered inside 5-10 yards. Rub routes, quick outs etc. He’s good after catch too. 

It it sickens me to watch Edelman in New England’s system, “same as ours” and we don’t use him the same.

Cole Beasley is not even close to Julian Edelman. We all hate JA but it’s not even close.

Knox hasn’t proven that he can catch the ball on a regular basis. 

I’d get Singletary involved earlier, eliminate the “QB sweeps”, bench Lee Smith. 

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Daboll has too many plays and over complicates things. Daboll time and time again has the wrong players executing plays that other players are better suited for. Daboll is about to lose Josh and then this is going to turn bad. I hope I’m wrong. The best place for Daboll is the booth. Bring down Allen’s QB coach to the sideline. Allen doesn’t need a hot headed negative guy on the sideline right when he comes off the field after a mistake. McDermott needs to understand Josh is 10x more important than Daboll.

Sure Jan.

Look, dabs play calling has been questionable but so has Josh's Quarterback play, i dont see JA throwing a hissy fit about Daboll, though. You are crazy!

15 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Problem is he can't catch when he does get the ball.

1 hour ago, finn said:

I was disappointed and frustrated, too, but I was also impressed by some things the Bills did yesterday. Allen played under control most of the time and kept his eyes downfield. The OL usually gave him enough time to make throws, and he moved well in the pocket to evade the rush. Gore played really well, again. Duke Williams had a pair of nice blocks on the Singletary touchdown. Brown came to play, as always, and Singletary's TD run showed what he can do if Daboll ever decides to give him the ball. Special teams smothered the trick play. The defense contained the Eagles most of the first half and had good momentum until the lost fumble.

In short, it wasn't all bad, not by a long shot. The Bills lost games like this even in the Super Bowl years. 

Not one positive from this game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

What kills me is the play calls by Daboll where Allen immediately runs to his side after getting the ball to either set up to pass or follow through with a designed QB run. Those plays need to be taken out of the game plan because while they may have worked early in the year, the Eagles showed us that those tendencies are easy to gameplan for. Pretty sure we were 0-fer on all of those plays yesterday, losing the ball once, and putting Allen at risk for injury numerous times. Let Allen do his thing if and when the pocket collapses.

Daboll is a horrible coordinator, and if he thinks he's helping his young QB by asking him to run the ball so frequently he is a complete idiot.  

Gore had 9 carries, Singletary 3.  12 runs from your backs in a bad weather game????????  This team NEEDS a strong running game because of the frequent poor home weather conditions.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Daboll is a horrible coordinator, and if he thinks he's helping his young QB by asking him to run the ball so frequently he is a complete idiot.  

Gore had 9 carries, Singletary 3.  12 runs from your backs in a bad weather game????????  This team NEEDS a strong running game because of the frequent poor home weather conditions.

With respect to the second statement, this is exactly what we were thinking inside the stadium yesterday.  At one point the Eagles' leading ballcarrier had more carries than Gore, Singeltary, and Allen combined.   With the wind being what it was yesterday, that was inexcusable.  

What cost use he game yesterday was the fact that we were pushed around on both sides of the ball.  Some of the pass pro was decent, but they ran at will on us and we couldn't establish much of a run game against them.  Cutting Shady was and is the right move, but we could really use a back with speed to attack the edges.  

3 hours ago, finn said:

It’s amazing to me how people forget about the positives. Both TD drives were great. The D was excellent the entire first half. If JA didn’t fumble at the end of the half,  it would have been a different game. In fact, I was sure we would win the game after we scored in the 3rd quarter. 

i am convinced that the run game defensive issues are correctible. Just got to tip your hand to Pederson for adjusting at halftime and figuring out what was going to work in the run game for them. 

If this team only had the Eagles on their schedule, they probably would beat them more often than not. But this team isn't mature enough to be a 13, 14, or 15 win team. They are going to have games like the one yesterday against other teams down the stretch. I do think they are still a 10 or 11 win team. The positive I have, is that the week before the Eagles were blown out by Dallas, and they were able to come back and play better this week. I'm confident the Bills can do the same. Not just against the Redskins, but all of their next 4 opponents.