Inside Left Zone

Protocal69

This is the play the BILLS could not stop today. Here is a excerpt from Tim Graham article from the Athletic....

https://theathletic.com/1328440/2019/10/27/we-had-to-endure-that-ass-whupping-eagles-use-same-run-play-to-bludgeon-bills-defense/

Philadelphia amassed the most rushing yards in the Doug Pedersen era and defeated Buffalo 31-13 in misty rain and gale-force winds.

Pederson kept repeating one play — inside zone left — over and over and over. The Bills’ prideful defense struggled to stop it.

“It was the same run,” Eagles right guard Brandon Brooks said. “Maybe a different formation or something, but the same run nonetheless. To continue to be successful, knowing there’s nothing they can do to stop you, there are very few feelings like that.

“Everybody in the stadium knows what’s coming. They know it’s coming, yet there’s absolutely nothing they can do to stop you.”

It should be interesting couple days in the BILLS defensive film room this week to say the least. I hope we do not have to make a trade to get this fixed.

Bills remaining schedule running backs:   https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

Redskins: Adrian Peterson, Chris Thompson                Run Blocking Power Rank: 32

Cleveland: Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt                             Run Blocking Power Rank: 24

Miami: Mark Walton, Kalen Ballage                                Run Blocking Power Rank: 8

Denver: Phillip Lindsay, Royce Freeman:                       Run Blocking Power Rank: 6

Dallas: Ezekiel Elliott, Tony Pollard                                 Run Blocking Power Rank: 5

Baltimore: Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards                           Run Blocking Power Rank: Tie 13th

Pittsburgh: James Conner, Jaylen Samuels                  Run Blocking Power Rank: 27

New England: Sony Michel, James White                      Run Blocking Power Rank: 22

New York Jets: Le'Veon Bell, Ty Montgomery               Run Blocking Power Rank: Tie 13th

For context before this week games Phi was ranked #1 in Run Blocking Power

Edited by Protocal69
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dallas is going to destroy the Bills on both LOS. It’s like the early 90’s again where the NFC is the more physical conference. 

The Bills will have a shot against Denver because Flacco is a statue and it’s at home. Baltimore is going to be tough.

The game that concerns me is the next Dolphins game. The Miami players know this will probably be Miami’s best shot at a win with how close they played the Bills in Buffalo.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Dallas is going to destroy the Bills on both LOS. It’s like the early 90’s again where the NFC is the more physical conference. 

The Bills will have a shot against Denver because Flacco is a statue and it’s at home. Baltimore is going to be tough.

The game that concerns me is the next Dolphins game. The Miami players know this will probably be Miami’s best shot at a win with how close they played the Bills in Buffalo.

Dallas game looms as yet another national TV embarrassment. 

• Like (+1) 1

Gap control is done primarily by your D linemen.  Face it, their lines physically dominated our lines.  It's that simple.  Yes, Edmunds needs to read plays better so he hits the right space.  But their O line dominated the second half, and their D line threw guys from our O line around like rag dolls. 

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This is what I thought. Looked like the zone runs were the problem. That means a lot of it has to do with poor gap control. 

They had the big run, but mostly it was linemen tackling downfield because they had blocked our linebackers.  There were several big negative runs too, that's how noticable the struggles were on like every other play

Very reminiscent of last year's Colt's game.  They found a run that worked and just kept pounding away.  Calls into question the ability of the DC to adjust.  Although if you have guys just getting beat physically I'm not sure how much adjustments would help.

1 hour ago, chef4131 said:

IMO Edmunds is going to start to come under some pressure from fans if this continues.  

Well, he should

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Very reminiscent of last year's Colt's game.  They found a run that worked and just kept pounding away.  Calls into question the ability of the DC to adjust.  Although if you have guys just getting beat physically I'm not sure how much adjustments would help.

And OldManFan astutely identifies the other part of the issue.  We are pitifullly slow to make adjustments on defense.  If a team finds something that works, they can count on it continuing to work. 

If the scheme adjustment plan is "we weren't fitting the run right last week, so this week we'll just take the same guys and start fitting it right", that's probably an insufficient plan.

I do think the Bills coaches felt that having Milano back would make sufficient difference and now they know they're wrong.  At least hopefully now they know they're wrong.

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

This is the play the BILLS could not stop today. Here is a excerpt for Tim Graham article from the Athletic....

https://theathletic.com/1328440/2019/10/27/we-had-to-endure-that-ass-whupping-eagles-use-same-run-play-to-bludgeon-bills-defense/

Philadelphia amassed the most rushing yards in the Doug Pedersen era and defeated Buffalo 31-13 in misty rain and gale-force winds.

Pederson kept repeating one play — inside zone left — over and over and over. The Bills’ prideful defense struggled to stop it.

“It was the same run,” Eagles right guard Brandon Brooks said. “Maybe a different formation or something, but the same run nonetheless. To continue to be successful, knowing there’s nothing they can do to stop you, there are very few feelings like that.

“Everybody in the stadium knows what’s coming. They know it’s coming, yet there’s absolutely nothing they can do to stop you.”

It should be interesting the BILLS defensive film room this week to say the least. I hope we do not have to make a trade to get this fixed.

Bills remaining schedule running backs:   https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

Redskins: Adrian Peterson, Chris Thompson                Run Blocking Power Rank: 32

Cleveland: Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt                             Run Blocking Power Rank: 24

Miami: Mark Walton, Kalen Ballage                                Run Blocking Power Rank: 8

Denver: Phillip Lindsay, Royce Freeman:                       Run Blocking Power Rank: 6

Dallas: Ezekiel Elliott, Tony Pollard                                 Run Blocking Power Rank: 5

Baltimore: Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards                           Run Blocking Power Rank: Tie 13th

Pittsburgh: James Conner, Jaylen Samuels                  Run Blocking Power Rank: 27

New England: Sony Michel, James White                      Run Blocking Power Rank: 22

New York Jets: Le'Veon Bell, Ty Montgomery               Run Blocking Power Rank: Tie 13th

For context before this week games Phi was ranked #1 in Run Blocking Power

Good post - good work finding the article and putting the post together.

And the inverse of what Brandon Brooks says is also true.  When your D continues to be gouged by the same play and there's nothing effective you can do, there are probably very few worse feelings.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, he should (Edmunds come under pressure)

And OldManFan astutely identifies the other part of the issue.  We are pitifullly slow to make adjustments on defense.  If a team finds something that works, they can count on it continuing to work. 

If the scheme adjustment plan is "we weren't fitting the run right last week, so this week we'll just take the same guys and start fitting it right", that's probably an insufficient plan.

I do think the Bills coaches felt that having Milano back would make sufficient difference and now they know they're wrong.

It also reminds me of the Saints game a couple of years ago where they ran the ball down our throats. To this day I never trust the run D of the BILLS under McDermott. Pass Defense Yes. Run Defense NO

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Who was on the field for those runs?  Which of Star, Phillips, Oliver, LoRax and Marlowe?  Very curious because from what I saw, Oliver was actually our best and only run defender yesterday.

It's very difficult for me to see during commercial film because I 100% have "slow eyes" and the broadcast doesn't usually switch to the actual game action until just  before the snap.  But from what I did see, they were running a lot of heavy nickle ("Buffalo") with Marlow, and Lorax defensive snaps were down.  I think Star was down too and we were seeing Peko.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

They succeeded in the run game yesterday because they physically manhandled the Bills front 7.  Scheming may have helped some but they were just physically more dominant. 

No, that's not entirely it, @oldmanfan.  They broke for big yards with one specific play (inside left zone) because they ID'd a weakness.

We were actually getting some good stuffs (no gain, no gain, -1, -1) even late in the 4Q.

That's not what happens when you're just getting physically manhandled.  That's when their O gets 2-4 yds on every run play.

Here, scroll down and have a look at the playby

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201910270buf.htm

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Who was on the field for those runs?  Which of Star, Phillips, Oliver, LoRax and Marlowe?  Very curious because from what I saw, Oliver was actually our best and only run defender yesterday.

They all shared in this. I thought the LB's were the worst part yesterday. Safeties not too far behind.