The D isn't built to handle what hit them today

Big Blitz

36 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

They know the issue...  But I hope they have the horses to execute the fix.  

When teams can take you to the woodshed between the tackles it tough to  win...

Teams are 116-822-3 when giving up 200 yards or more on the ground since 1988. 

Edited by Dr.Sack

53 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

These points are all entirely valid. The run defense has some pieces that simply haven't worked over the past two weeks and could be a problem going forward.

But what we're not talking about is what DIDN'T happen and continues to NOT happen. We're not seeing the kind of game changing plays or drive killing sacks that put the opposing offense in negative down and distance situations. The defense is most certainly lacking that elite edge rusher that must be accounted for and the sum of the parts just isn't enough. 

I've seen plenty of 3rd and long stops this season, but I haven't seen nearly enough of them end with the a Bill in the quarterbacks mug forcing a huge mistake. 

A premier edge rusher covers up a lot of deficiencies in other areas. 

I really can't figure out if this is shtick or if you're being serious in regards to the players you'd like to see the Bills target.

I love my certain players, I root for these guys before they are drafted and as always am very devestated when we pass on them or don't trade up for them time and again... So naturally I want to see them make their way to where they belong!

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

I know the Bills coaches and players will figure it out. 

All of the evidence they needed was provided today. What they need to figure out is where they are going to get defensive players that they need. They were defeated convincingly by the Eagles. They were obviously out classed.

Edited by Rocket94

Unfortunately we have no pass rush and Star gets pushed backwards, Hughes isn't putting up sack totals because he is the only guy they really have to worry about, we need another guy on the outside because Shaq Lawson and Trent Murphy aren't getting it done at all. Vic Beasley is supposed to be available by the Falcons, what about Carlos Dunlap of the Bengals? I'm hoping Star is gone next season, I just don't see him doing a good job out there, he gets pushed back quite a bit imo. I'm not down on Oliver whatsoever yet because he's a young guy trying to find his way and I think he'll eventually find it.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

We built a D built to cover....Read the article in the Ringer this week on how we built a team for the 2020s.  Fast.  And must cover. And get after the QB.  I think we know this anyway.  That's why we have Oliver.  

And no doubt we can cover and get to the QB especially against poor to above average lines. 

The bad news....

We are not built to beat big physical olines like the Eagles have. 

Edmunds is probably not going to be a run stopping force in the middle.  He was drafted because of his athleticism.  Meaning, he can cover.   

And when it all hits the fan like it did today and those big linemen get in space on those screens, and the RBs are good like Philly's are, combined with a coach that knows how to call a game....you got what hit us today.   

The Cowboys, Steelers, and Ravens---those are physical and good olines we'll see the down the stretch.  I think they might have 3 of the best olines outside of Indy.  

This is something that can and has to be addressed NOW.  Get a legit run stuffing DT like Detroit did last year with Snacks Harrison.  Completely fixed their run D.  If that guy is available get him asap.   

I don't know what Denver did today to slow down Indy and their run game but if anyone on their front 7 is available call them.  The Redskins might be shopping Kerrigan to.  

That's 3 games left vs good running teams with great olines.  Still have New England to.  That could be 4 losses.  And that's a problem.

We have to address it by Tuesday imo.  

Not sure we can get what we need by the trade deadline but totally agree with your assessment and should have been obvious to the FO after getting dismantled by New England last year.

Edmunds has the size to be a run stuffer just going to take some training.

Didn't want Oliver due to his size and attitude which McDermott pointed out in the preseason about needing to work harder.  Wanted DT Dexter Lawrence who is having a good season for the Giants and is 6'4" 342 and athletic.

There are some solid run stopping LBs in the draft who are also not liabilities in coverage with Auburn's KJ Britt and Northwestern 's Paddy Fisher, hopefully we can someone like them and DTs like Jordan Phillips.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rico said:

Don't let Ted Washington leave town.

Loved that guy should be in the HOF for NTs. If we could get a guy like him we would be all set.

This will always be a passing league but the run is still important and is making a comeback due to teams not being able to stop the run. The defense should have two big guys in the middle who crush the run and push the pocket. Small Athletic DTs are fun but get worn down in the run game.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

We built a D built to cover....Read the article in the Ringer this week on how we built a team for the 2020s.  Fast.  And must cover. And get after the QB.  I think we know this anyway.  That's why we have Oliver.  

And no doubt we can cover and get to the QB especially against poor to above average lines. 

The bad news....

Edmunds is probably not going to be a run stopping force in the middle.  He was drafted because of his athleticism.  Meaning, he can cover.   

And when it all hits the fan like it did today and those big linemen get in space on those screens, and the RBs are good like Philly's are, combined with a coach that knows how to call a game....you got what hit us today.   

The Cowboys, Steelers, and Ravens---those are physical and good olines we'll see the down the stretch.  I think they might have 3 of the best olines outside of Indy.  

This is something that can and has to be addressed NOW.  Get a legit run stuffing DT like Detroit did last year with Snacks Harrison.  Completely fixed their run D.  If that guy is available get him asap.   

I don't know what Denver did today to slow down Indy and their run game but if anyone on their front 7 is available call them.  The Redskins might be shopping Kerrigan to.  

That's 3 games left vs good running teams with great olines.  Still have New England to.  That could be 4 losses.  And that's a problem.

I was criticized for saying last week we should be concerned about Philly, Baltimore, Dallas, and of course the Pats.  I was very hopeful we would play better yesterday, but we were exposed.  That’s two weeks in a row we did not play well.  You never can count on all of the other games as well, but we looked so bad yesterday.

I truly hope I’m wrong and we correct our mistakes.

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd sure like to see Sean promote Vincent Taylor in leiu of Peko. I'd even reduce Star's snaps. We will need to be more stout up front in future games. I'm still not sure where Ed's proper position is?

I'm with you on this. He was effective in Miami, I suppose because he is new they have not rushed him in. But it's time to kick the tires, cannot be any worse than what we saw yesterday.

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The bad news....

OK, even if we do lose all four of those games, that six losses. Which means ten wins. 

Would you have been OK with 10-6 at the start of training camp?

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I keep saying it - Derek Wolfe is reportedly available - I’ve been high on him for years - that’s the player we should trade for - he’d fix a lot of problems and instantly become a fan favorite (IMO he’s a Kyle Williams clone).  Probably could get him for a fourth.

I'm down with that.

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The bad news....

what is the 10M DT doing?

You got a link to that article?  Be nice to have it?

The bad news....

That simply begs the question "why aren't we?"

Because big physical olines are not going away.

Just like to point out we traded a guy like that away (there may have been other legit reasons), and I think we thought that was what we were getting when we signed Lotuleilei.

But yes, I agree it would be nice to make a trade if someone legit is available.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Loved that guy should be in the HOF for NTs. If we could get a guy like him we would be all set.

This will always be a passing league but the run is still important and is making a comeback due to teams not being able to stop the run. The defense should have two big guys in the middle who crush the run and push the pocket. Small Athletic DTs are fun but get worn down in the run game.

The more things change the more they stay the same.