The D isn't built to handle what hit them today

Big Blitz

We built a D built to cover....Read the article in the Ringer this week on how we built a team for the 2020s.  Fast.  And must cover. And get after the QB.  I think we know this anyway.  That's why we have Oliver.    EDIT:  https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/25/20929585/beginners-guide-to-buffalo-bills-surprising-5-1-start

And no doubt we can cover and get to the QB especially against poor to above average lines. 

The bad news....

We are not built to beat big physical olines like the Eagles have. 

Edmunds is probably not going to be a run stopping force in the middle.  He was drafted because of his athleticism.  Meaning, he can cover.   

And when it all hits the fan like it did today and those big linemen get in space on those screens, and the RBs are good like Philly's are, combined with a coach that knows how to call a game....you got what hit us today.   

The Cowboys, Steelers, and Ravens---those are physical and good olines we'll see the down the stretch.  I think they might have 3 of the best olines outside of Indy.  

This is something that can and has to be addressed NOW.  Get a legit run stuffing DT like Detroit did last year with Snacks Harrison.  Completely fixed their run D.  If that guy is available get him asap.   

I don't know what Denver did today to slow down Indy and their run game but if anyone on their front 7 is available call them.  The Redskins might be shopping Kerrigan to.  

That's 3 games left vs good running teams with great olines.  Still have New England to.  That could be 4 losses.  And that's a problem.

We have to address it by Tuesday imo.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not sure if they’ll make the move to address it this year but I do think you’re dead on in your assessment.  

Harrison Phillips going down and forcing us to rotate in Kyle Peko has only exacerbated that fact.   

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We built a D built to cover....Read the article in the Ringer this week on how we built a team for the 2020s.  Fast.  And must cover. And get after the QB.  I think we know this anyway.  That's why we have Oliver.  

And no doubt we can cover and get to the QB especially against poor to above average lines. 

The bad news....

We are not built to beat big physical olines like the Eagles have. 

Edmunds is probably not going to be a run stopping force in the middle.  He was drafted because of his athleticism.  Meaning, he can cover.   

And when it all hits the fan like it did today and those big linemen get in space on those screens, and the RBs are good like Philly's are, combined with a coach that knows how to call a game....you got what hit us today.   

The Cowboys, Steelers, and Ravens---those are physical and good olines we'll see the down the stretch.  I think they might have the 3 of the best olines outside of Indy.  

This is something that can and has to be addressed NOW.  Get a legit run stuffing DT like Detroit did last year with Snacks Harrison.  Completely fixed their run D.  If that guy is available get him asap.   

I don't know what Denver did today to slow down Indy and their run game but if anyone on their front 7 is available call them.  The Redskins might be shopping Kerrigan to.  

That's 3 games left vs good running teams with great olines.  Still have New England to.  That could be 4 losses.  And that's a problem.

We have to address it by Tuesday imo.  

Wait until we play Dallas.  Physical on both sides of ball

17 minutes ago, TallskiWallski83 said:

Harrison Phillips injury along with Star Latoulelei's massive regression are why we are where we are. 

I'd sure like to see Sean promote Vincent Taylor in leiu of Peko. I'd even reduce Star's snaps. We will need to be more stout up front in future games. I'm still not sure where Ed's proper position is?

• Like (+1) 3

The DL has been mediocre for years now

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd sure like to see Sean promote Vincent Taylor in leiu of Peko. I'd even reduce Star's snaps. We will need to be more stout up front in future games. I'm still not sure where Ed's proper position is?

I'd like to see Oliver get some snaps at DE 

• Like (+1) 2

You bend something back and forth enough times its going to weaken and break  This defense gave up too many third down conversions and it showed in the 4th quarter  Frazier has to sack up and be more aggressive or drop 8 and cover better Eagles had no deep speed yet we gave them too much room to operate  Our D ends are absolutely invisible and Star is being pushed around  Plus once again we could not bring the qb down  The tackling in the pass rush vs the qb this year has been horrible  We make immobile qbs look like Randall Cunningham

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The DL has been mediocre for years now

I'd like to see Oliver get some snaps at DE 

So would I, in fact I thought the orginal plan for Ed was to be an "in motion" hybrid DE. Moving all along the line. That has yet to happen. He's not big enough to ever be a 1 tech DT. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

At some point soon, the Bills will have to address The DE and DT positions. I don't believe that Harrison Phillips is the answer either. The Bills will also need a dynamic MLB and move Edmunds outside next year. The Bills are improving, and McDermott is really getting the most that he can out of the players that he has. This rebuild is moving along, but I would focus on playmaking defensive players and a Wr in the 2020 draft.

Edited by Rocket94

17 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Frazier has to sack up and be more aggressive or drop 8 and cover better Eagles had no deep speed yet we gave them too much room to operate

In all seriousness, I can’t recall us consistently playing our corners up and pressing the receivers. It may have happened during Rex’s years, but I just don’t recall it being done consistently for like 20 years now. DC after DC, corners are always playing off. It’s infuriating. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 3

I know this is about the run, but where has Hughes been all year? He used to be a force, now he's invisible. Murphy has been at least good against the run.

Edmunds this year is still awesome in cover but seems to me to have regressed against the run.

The Bills D has really been gouged at times against the run in the last 3 years but hold on to your worries. I think the Eagles coach is really a wiz at designing plays that confuses the D. It wasn't straight them  getting overpowered.

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds is better in space than in the slop/traffic.  He probably would fare better as a OLB of course it helps if your D tackles dont get pushed back 5 yards. The ends have been terrible  Lawson is actually been the best of the bunch because its paytime  I think Hughes is either hurt or has lost a step.  Murphy sucks, he makes me wish for the return of Chris kelsay. Oliver so far looks like a whiff or a guy who doesnt have a true position

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure why the loses projected by the OP are a "problem."  I have them all as losses.  I had today as a loss prior to the game, and NE as well.

That's about what this team is: good enough to be a wildcard playoff team with a 10-6 record, maybe even better.

My concern is the playoff game, which will only be against a good team, not a crappy team, and they are probably going to have a good QB, an offense that can score, a good OL, a good D, etc etc.

We'll get to that game but go no further.