Taco War in WNY becomes political

Beast

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Anybody been to these places?  Are they authentic taquerias?

If not, then they both suck.

Save your $$$$$.

Probably both be out of business in 5 years.

Yeah, Lloyds is decent.  Deep South is kinda bad but has good margs.  To be fair, neither is authentic but Lloyds is closer to a "real" street taco than Deep South. 

6 minutes ago, bbb said:

That's actually pretty funny.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Augie said:

My point is it sounds like they are just trying to survive, and I don’t think it’s fair to beat them up from both sides. If this was your next door neighbor and your kids were friends, would you want them crushed because they were just trying to sell some tacos to pay the mortgage? It’s NOT a what side of the political line do you believe in, it’s a family trying to make ends meet. I’m on the side of the family here. 

They are not trying to survive Augie, they are huge here in WNY.  I thought the apology was a bit bizarre too & not necessary.

Deep South is pretty much garbage. Outside of their owner being a creep and a right-winger, their tacos are just bad. Everything way too dry and almost inedible. Politics and molestation aside, I'd eat there if it was good, but it isnt.

Lloyd is good. Not authentic but at least tastes good. They cater to the "Elmwood Village" crowd, which is why they took flack for going to the ICE-boxes.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I'm sorry....a business 'apologized' for serving guys who a) are citizens and b) have a job?

I hope someone firebombs that place.

How very mature and civilized of you.

3 hours ago, wagon127 said:

I give this "controversy" a month before everybody forgets about it.

Its been a week and it would already be forgotten about if they would just stop apologizing.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Its been a week and it would already be forgotten about if they would just stop apologizing.

Exactly,

The 1st apology was only 3 days ago though. Very few people would have known about the original issue with serving at a detention center, if they never apologized in the first place. No matter where you stand on ICE, you have to agree with that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Exactly,

The 1st apology was only 3 days ago though. Very few people would have known about the original issue with serving at a detention center, if they never apologized in the first place. No matter where you stand on ICE, you have to agree with that.

Ehh...

Cimino said they received more than 5,000 negative Facebook comments, 95 percent angry, and three canceled truck visits.

It had enough steam before any apologies. Once folks start cancelling truck visits, they had to do something. But then just let it die.

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

They are not trying to survive Augie, they are huge here in WNY.  I thought the apology was a bit bizarre too & not necessary.

OK, big or small they are just trying to run a business. Are people protesting the electric company for proving power? The toilet paper vender. They are not taking a political position (as far as I know) or causing this to happen in any way. They’re just trying to sell some tacos!!!   I’m with you, it really is a bizarre and unnecessary apology in my mind. It’s unfortunate that that was their initial reaction, but I hope they can just move on without being hassled by anybody for doing....what they do. 

I had tacos for lunch! I wonder if this is what planted that seed in my mind?? 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Cimino said they received more than 5,000 negative Facebook comments, 95 percent angry, and three canceled truck visits.

If what I read earlier is what he really said (and I qualify that because the media gets so much wrong) - he said 4000 complaints came from the anti-ICE people, and then 1000 after the apology..............There is no friggin way.  Here is the tweet that sparked it.  There's about exactly 23 replies/complaints - that's it...........Nobody heard of this thing until their apology:

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Regardless of where you stand, this is an excellent case study of a business not understanding it's customer base and destroying itself with a few social media posts.

They won't be destroyed.  But it wasn't good PR as you suggest.

2 hours ago, stony said:

They won't be destroyed.  But it wasn't good PR as you suggest.

Idk. Food trucks live and die on big events, and Bills games are as big as you get in WNY. Losing all that revenue from last week's game, plus you have to think it will be the same for at least this week too, may be too much for them to handle.

This is interesting.  I was at the game yesterday and noticed the lack of a line at the Lloyd's counter in the Kelly Clubs.

I was curious why that was - every other line was packed.  As an out of towner, I figured their food was crap... but it seems this might have been the reason.

37 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

This is interesting.  I was at the game yesterday and noticed the lack of a line at the Lloyd's counter in the Kelly Clubs.

I was curious why that was - every other line was packed.  As an out of towner, I figured their food was crap... but it seems this might have been the reason.

This warms my heart 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

Who buys a taco at a football game?  At these marvelous cultural events, you have to choose the food you ingest wisely... Unless you enjoy making glorious butt explosions in the filthy head at the game.  LoL...

I guess it's Clubs... So you're not crapping in steerage with the hoi polloi... But still!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

9 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Idk. Food trucks live and die on big events, and Bills games are as big as you get in WNY. Losing all that revenue from last week's game, plus you have to think it will be the same for at least this week too, may be too much for them to handle.

They’ve got two brick and mortar stores w full bars as well. 

Never give an inch to the far left insanity. They'll keep pushing further and further if you don't stand up to their nonsense. Lloyd's has now shown they lack backbone and will be put in this situation again.

• Like (+1) 5

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Deep South is pretty much garbage. Outside of their owner being a creep and a right-winger, their tacos are just bad. Everything way too dry and almost inedible. Politics and molestation aside, I'd eat there if it was good, but it isnt.

Lloyd is good. Not authentic but at least tastes good. They cater to the "Elmwood Village" crowd, which is why they took flack for going to the ICE-boxes.

How very mature and civilized of you.

What's this about molestation?