Don't Post When Angry

Virgil

2 hours ago, BillsDude said:

The reason I do not get upset at an “occasional” loss, or with this loss in particular  is because:

(1) I do not have expectations that are unrealistic. I do not expect the Bills to win all home games or all non-New England games. I expected the Bills to lose about 6 or 7 this year. This likely still will happen. 

(2) I expect on any given Thursday, Sunday or Monday there to be upsets, as not always does the better team win, and this is because of mistakes,  wrong calls, bad luck, injuries, bad weather, momentum, slightly more motivation. etc.

(3) People often assume that if a team loses, they did not give either the effort or they think the coaching decisions were awful. Not always. For many losses, the team could have played their best, orbhad sound game plans, but that other team just played better.

Those who critique “every loss” are unrealistic. Most games have 3 point spreads. It is hard winning in this now parity league.

(4) For blowout losses, I feel better for those than close losses. If we get our rears kicked, then maybe more lessons will be learned, and any over confidence prior, be now tamed. 

(5) Yes, we had had like 17 years of no playoffs, before heading there 2 years ago, so I get any frustration, here we go again,  or victim mentality. But, I have faith in McD and Beane, and where we are heading. Getting to the playoffs that first year under them, and heading in that direction again this year, I have bought in. Making the playoffs seems like an obtainable goal this year, based on our weaker schedule, and record. And  winning a playoff game is realistic too, if we gel as a team, get some luck, learn from things. 

(6) I do not care if we beat bad teams or great teams, nor the score, as long as we win enough games and get to the playoffs. I do not care what the media thinks about  us, otherwise. Do you think New England’s image is tainted from beating up on the AFC East year after year? Nobody cares at years end who beat who, and how they looked in their Wins. All they care about is wins and losses, at seasons end.

(7) Whenever the Bills lose I focus on something good about the team, or some good about a player or group of players

For this game, I focused on Allen. I did not focus on his fumble, low completion percentage, or low yardage. I focused on his two more TD passes, and 0 INTs. In the last 3 games, he is 6TDs, 1 INT there.

(8) Most players and coaches are likely trying their absolute best each game. Critiquing them too much thus seems to serve no purpose. Some players are just not as good as others, or it takes them longer time to learn. They have families too. And they are likely their worst critics, for if they mess up. No need to pile on.

(9) If all else fails, I use Humor. This does not mean I do not get a little down after a loss, but within minutes I am over it, because of positive thinking, or from using some humor. 

(10) There are other things in life to be happy about, when our expectations for a game fails to materialize. Life is as happy as we want it to be. 

(11) Next week, Washington will be toast. 

Your forgot (12) the dynamic duo of Robert Foster and Duke Williams will combine for another catch next week. ——- this is my attempt at your (9)

Edited by Locomark
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I’m just glad there are other fellow Bills fans out there who aren’t happy with mediocrity.

Is 5 and 2 medicrity?

Or is it just a reason to complain as soon as possible.

The team is still on schedule for a playoff record.  We have 10 new starters on offense and its not gelling as fast as we would like it to....but most games our D is making sure we win.

Today they didnt....onto the next game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

In both of those seasons flaws were exposed and subsequently exploited over (EDIT: a large portion of the schedule).  Unless they get cleaned up by next week, future opponents are sure to replicate what happened today and last week.  The issue is, Buffalo doesn't have the personnel.  

Doug Peterson took the Eagles to a SB win in his 2nd season as HC.  He did so after taking over from another HC who had made his share of mistakes and was unceremoniously fired.

Funny thing is, this answer is a stock response I've seen for years.  People identify the positions Buffalo is weak at without acknowledging that the decision makers are equally as weak.  Problems aren't solved, the result is average or thereabouts, and the cycle is repeated.  

It's getting closer to the point where McBeane's strategy for building this team should be scrutinized more.

I think the strategy is fine, the implementation can be scrutinized but I think this is a four year rebuild.  Beane has had two drafts so far.  

5 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

As long as Hyde recovers the onsides kick, the Bills may squeak out a win over the vaunted Redskins next week. #yay #pretenders

There is no such thing as an easy win in the NFL, I believe every win is earned not given. A win is a win whether it's squeaking by or blowing the opponent out and when you get into the playoffs anything can happen. Does it matter how we get there as long as we get there? 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ChasBB said:

There is only one thing that ticked me off today - Allen's fumble.  Protect the damn ball.  Every single play, protecting the ball is JOB ONE.  That was a game changer.  You can't give the ball away deep in your own end and win football games - ask Philadelphia (vs. Dallas).  Not at home, not on the road, not anywhere, not ever.

If you think THAT is why they lost, then you must have missed the middle of the defensive line getting pimp slapped all over the field. The defense lost this game, specifically the defensive tackles. They got beat like Ike did Tina.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

If you think THAT is why they lost, then you must have missed the middle of the defensive line getting pimp slapped all over the field. The defense lost this game, specifically the defensive tackles. They got beat like Ike did Tina.

I stand by what I said.  Turnovers are game-changers - end of story.

Edit: Oh, and you are correct - after that 2nd quarter fumble, I tuned out.  The fumble was enough to tell me Buffalo didn't want it on this day.  You give the ball away in your own end of the field shows you didn't come to win - no point wasting my time with the remainder of the game.

Edited by ChasBB

9 hours ago, ChasBB said:

There is only one thing that ticked me off today - Allen's fumble.  Protect the damn ball.  Every single play, protecting the ball is JOB ONE.  That was a game changer.  You can't give the ball away deep in your own end and win football games - ask Philadelphia (vs. Dallas).  Not at home, not on the road, not anywhere, not ever.

Okay but when you are running the 2 minute offense from your own end is a designed QB sweep on 3rd and 2 the smartest play call or the dumbest one in the world ever?

ESPECIALLY given that the call fooled NO ONE because we have run it like 50 times this year. The eagles D knew exactly what was coming and JA got smothered and the ball punched out.

I put that on daboll what a terrible play call.

Why not let your future HOF who gets 4.6 yards a clip take that hand off?

How about the explosive rookie who got zero touches in the first half????

Yeah. Dabs is wearing thin on me.

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

Today sucked because, as Bills fans, we are tired of being perceived as we are.  And before anyone tries to say, it's only one game, don't take it personally, etc; you are posting on a Bills forum where you have an avatar, rep, and probably a signature.  It's more to us here, right or wrong.  Today was about slamming home the point that we are finally a different Bills team with a better coaching staff and players.  That if you see us on your schedule, no matter who you are and what your record may be, that you should be genuinely worried.  That the networks should be hoping to get us on primetime. 

I agree with everything you said 100% but this part especially. I’ve gotten so fed up with people who think 1:00 games are the best and don’t realize how much a slap in the face it is that the Bills only primetime game is Thanksgiving when even the Dolphins got a MNF. You should want attention you should want primetime because it means you matter and your team is respected for being good.

Today was my worst fears come true which is that they are a paper tiger currently and that against a big boy with some

national weight they can’t hack it. It’s exhausting to go 20 years now where the show constantly keeps dropping. Just as how last week I kept saying a win wasn’t just a win, how it happened mattered the same can be said about how they lossed.

They will probably be around 7-3/8-2 come Dallas but again that will be the measuring stick which now I’m coming to dread.

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

At least, that's what I tell myself not to do.  But I'm about to fail miserably.  If you aren't frustrated or in the mood for a rant, it's best to just move on now.

Being a Bills fan is hard.  We have to play better than every other team within a few games of our record to be taken seriously.  Granted, after 20 years of ineptitude, we've earned that.  When you wear a Bills shirt out, in non-Bills territory, you can hear the pity when someone says: "Hey, you guys aren't doing that bad this year."  I want to tell them to shove their pity up their ass.  The Bills are the team you pick to lose unless they are playing a bottom 5 team.  Until we prove otherwise, and do it convincingly, we are a .333-.450 team.

For example, no one cares that the Browns blew out the Ravens.  Why?  Because the Ravens have played complete games this season.  The Ravens have made the playoffs more seasons than they've missed.  That blow-out loss to the Browns can simply be dismissed as an off day against a division opponent.  Yet, we are 5-2 who beaten anyone and they are going to win their division while all is well.

We are coming up on the second half of the season, and to me, this is where coaches earn their paychecks.  This is why we've been 5-2 in years past and failed miserably.  Teams adjusted to us, but we didn't adjust back.  We've had offenses that were lighting up the league with Bledsoe and Chan, only to completely fizzle out in comedic fashion.  Once you reach week 8, teams have enough film to break down tendencies and whatever else.  So, when I see a Bills team that continues to come out of the gates flat at both the open and halftime, it gives me zero confidence they can make the big season adjustments.  I don't think Daboll is capable of fitting our scheme to our players.  He doesn't use any of our receivers more than 5 yards down field other than Brown or the occasional deep shot.  He thinks he's still coaching the Pats or Alabama where TE's and FB's magically play like Moss.  

Today sucked because, as Bills fans, we are tired of being perceived as we are.  And before anyone tries to say, it's only one game, don't take it personally, etc; you are posting on a Bills forum where you have an avatar, rep, and probably a signature.  It's more to us here, right or wrong.  Today was about slamming home the point that we are finally a different Bills team with a better coaching staff and players.  That if you see us on your schedule, no matter who you are and what your record may be, that you should be genuinely worried.  That the networks should be hoping to get us on primetime. 

But more importantly, for us fans, so you can believe you are going to see a complete game played more often than not.  That losses happen, but you can expect them to get em next time.  That our expensive defensive and offensive lines are going to knock the ***** out of the other team.  That you can be disappointed if we DON'T make the playoffs.  

I'm done.  It's out.  It's been bottling up since the game.  I hated my BBFS all morning because it was strong.  I kept reading what everyone had to say on here and thought, it could be different.  But it fought back and that sinking feeling returned once the game started.  Even down 4, when you thought the 2019 Bills would kick it into gear and win the 2nd half, Thanos caught the returning hammer and beat us with it.  Yes, I went there.

Good evening everyone.  Let's sleep it off.

I'll put it like this, crazy hold on John brown not called(drive stalled), tackling our punter(flag thrown then picked up drive stalled), after the whistle Josh allen inexplicable facemask and thrown to the ground by his face mask no call(drive stalled).  The biggest issue I had was with the offensive line not playing for *****(how many false starts can we get smh), and also our d against the run is terrible. I was at the game the weather played a huge factor. On the plus side the most important thing is working out, Josh Allen is maturing nicely. Drops mic

The Bills are a work in progress.  They're still make too many physical and mental mistakes to run with the big boys of the league on a consistent basis.  The Eagles played desperate tough football today.  They handled the weather better than the Bills, made adjustments to their game plan, and executed well.  The Bills for most of the day did none of that.  Philly won the war in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The result leaves the Bills at 5-2 with an expected win next week to go 6-2 at the halfway point needing to split 4-4 to make it to 10-6 and an anticipated playoff spot.  But there's no guarantee of that.  

That said it doesn't excuse the situation.  Daboll's offensive game plan is both frustrating and unimaginative.  Just based on formation I can guess with about 90% accuracy run or pass and I can only imagine how easy it is to "read" his offense for professionals.  It seems like the defense is in the huddle.  The Eagles had several players out on the defense but instead of spreading them out and making the subs play in space the Bills use multiple bunch formations that allow the defense to bring numbers to the point of attack more easily.  The QB run with Allen right before the 2-minute warning was just dumb.  For one, he wasn't going to get the 1st down and two he fumbled.  This led to 8 points and a huge momentum shift.  Still Allen brought the team down for a potential FG with 2 seconds left but Hauschka missed the FG attempt.  Note in both our losses he missed a half ending FG. 

The defense got pushed around all day.  On their final scoring drive the Eagles converted 3 3rd and 10 attempts.  The "D' not so elite.  Multiple times players over pursue, cannot shed blocks, or hold contain, or gaps.  Maybe a DT or DE at the trade deadline?  

Lastly, what was this coaching staff doing during the bye?  And if it wasn't for Tre White last week we'd be staring at 4-3.   

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

8 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I think the strategy is fine, the implementation can be scrutinized but I think this is a four year rebuild.  Beane has had two drafts so far.  

11 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

We have  holes all over this roster.   We still need help at OT, WR, DL, and a legit 2CB.  We are also thin at RB and LB, Lorenzo and Gore will be retiring.  

Another draft and a few FA pickups will get us closer, all assuming that Allen continues developing.  

Relax everyone. 

It does not follow that the strategy is fine when, as you note in the second post, Buffalo has "holes all over this roster."  Three off-seasons of player acquisitions, a total roster turnover, and there are still glaring personnel issues.  Never mind that they've had coaching stability meaning the same system being in place during most of that time. 

Every year the expectation keeps being delayed so as to not be critical of the current rebuild.  Happened during Jauron.  Happened during Chan. Happened for the Whaley years.  The past may not predict future performance, but the result the past 2 weeks out of their bye indicates something is wrong. 

They're not successful enough on draft day or in UFA to build a team.  The man with final say on everything is McD.  And right now he's not getting it done.  His strategy for winning games and building the roster is mediocre after nearly 2.5 seasons at the helm.

You hear and read a lot about the Bills' fantastic fans but if you just look at this board, a very large portion seems like really negative people. After decades of failure, 5-2 with a young QB isn't good enough for you? You think we're going to be rock solid every game? Very few teams are. Think of your expectations before the season started and look at this 5-2 from that perspective. When our defense is hot we can beat any team. If you look at 5-2 and see a future 5-11then you have a problem with your attitude.

13 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

As long as Hyde recovers the onsides kick, the Bills may squeak out a win over the vaunted Redskins next week. #yay #pretenders

Didn't the Pats just squeak out a win against us? They must suck too. lol

Its a game we got our asses kicked in. It happens. If we are going to lose a game, this is one we wanted to lose. Has no impact on tie breaker. Keep winning and keep our conference record strong and we will be just fine. Throw away the tape and move on. Was an ugly game that just came off the rails. Nothing more. I hope.. ?

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

At least, that's what I tell myself not to do.  But I'm about to fail miserably.  If you aren't frustrated or in the mood for a rant, it's best to just move on now.

Being a Bills fan is hard.  We have to play better than every other team within a few games of our record to be taken seriously.  Granted, after 20 years of ineptitude, we've earned that.  When you wear a Bills shirt out, in non-Bills territory, you can hear the pity when someone says: "Hey, you guys aren't doing that bad this year."  I want to tell them to shove their pity up their ass.  The Bills are the team you pick to lose unless they are playing a bottom 5 team.  Until we prove otherwise, and do it convincingly, we are a .333-.450 team.

For example, no one cares that the Browns blew out the Ravens.  Why?  Because the Ravens have played complete games this season.  The Ravens have made the playoffs more seasons than they've missed.  That blow-out loss to the Browns can simply be dismissed as an off day against a division opponent.  Yet, we are 5-2 who beaten anyone and they are going to win their division while all is well.

We are coming up on the second half of the season, and to me, this is where coaches earn their paychecks.  This is why we've been 5-2 in years past and failed miserably.  Teams adjusted to us, but we didn't adjust back.  We've had offenses that were lighting up the league with Bledsoe and Chan, only to completely fizzle out in comedic fashion.  Once you reach week 8, teams have enough film to break down tendencies and whatever else.  So, when I see a Bills team that continues to come out of the gates flat at both the open and halftime, it gives me zero confidence they can make the big season adjustments.  I don't think Daboll is capable of fitting our scheme to our players.  He doesn't use any of our receivers more than 5 yards down field other than Brown or the occasional deep shot.  He thinks he's still coaching the Pats or Alabama where TE's and FB's magically play like Moss.  

But more importantly, for us fans, so you can believe you are going to see a complete game played more often than not.  That losses happen, but you can expect them to get em next time.  That our expensive defensive and offensive lines are going to knock the ***** out of the other team.  That you can be disappointed if we DON'T make the playoffs.  

I'm done.  It's out.  It's been bottling up since the game.  I hated my BBFS all morning because it was strong.  I kept reading what everyone had to say on here and thought, it could be different.  But it fought back and that sinking feeling returned once the game started.  Even down 4, when you thought the 2019 Bills would kick it into gear and win the 2nd half, Thanos caught the returning hammer and beat us with it.  Yes, I went there.

Good evening everyone.  Let's sleep it off.

You aren't the boss of me.

If I didn't post when I was angry my count would be in the negatives.

• Haha (+1) 1

I believe in what the Bills are doing. Beane and McDermott have had a lot of holes to fill in this regime, but their work is far from complete. McDermott has done a masterful job this far squeezing out play from a few marginal players. The Bills need more talent to conduct some of the schemes.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

It does not follow that the strategy is fine when, as you note in the second post, Buffalo has "holes all over this roster."  Three off-seasons of player acquisitions, a total roster turnover, and there are still glaring personnel issues.  Never mind that they've had coaching stability meaning the same system being in place during most of that time. 

Every year the expectation keeps being delayed so as to not be critical of the current rebuild.  Happened during Jauron.  Happened during Chan. Happened for the Whaley years.  The past may not predict future performance, but the result the past 2 weeks out of their bye indicates something is wrong. 

They're not successful enough on draft day or in UFA to build a team.  The man with final say on everything is McD.  And right now he's not getting it done.  His strategy for winning games and building the roster is mediocre after nearly 2.5 seasons at the helm.

First off we are already achieved more under McD than any team Jauron or Chan had fielded and we did that while blowing up the roster.  

I think we will not get to an solid team until the holes I mentioned  are addressed AND we will not get to elite unless Allen develops into a real #1 QB .  The talent we have right now is at a Wild Card Playoff Team level, just like about 12 other teams, so anything can happen on any week with any of the teams at this level.  There will be highs and lows, good weeks and bad.  We just had our first really bad game and people are losing their minds. 

I get it, you don't like the coach, you don't like the GM, you are not happy with the rebuild, and  you want an elite team in 2.5 years.  We are not that, we are a work in progress with a 5-2 record against an easy schedule. 

I sure don't know who to hire to get to that level in 2 to 3 years.  Not sure that even Bellichik could do it, he tried at Cleveland and NYJ and he did not do it.  At New England,  he inherited a strong roster from Parcells and they drafted Brady in round 6.  So even the best ever has not met your desires. 

5 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Okay but when you are running the 2 minute offense from your own end is a designed QB sweep on 3rd and 2 the smartest play call or the dumbest one in the world ever?

ESPECIALLY given that the call fooled NO ONE because we have run it like 50 times this year. The eagles D knew exactly what was coming and JA got smothered and the ball punched out.

I put that on daboll what a terrible play call.

Why not let your future HOF who gets 4.6 yards a clip take that hand off?

How about the explosive rookie who got zero touches in the first half????

Yeah. Dabs is wearing thin on me.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but there's just no excuse for putting the ball on the ground.  It's not something you see the Patriots doing routinely.  Serious teams protect the football.  Serious players protect the football.  I like the direction Buffalo is going, on the whole, but I can't take a team seriously wherein its players don't understand protecting the football is paramount to all else.  It just can't happen.

6 hours ago, ChasBB said:

I stand by what I said.  Turnovers are game-changers - end of story.

Edit: Oh, and you are correct - after that 2nd quarter fumble, I tuned out.  The fumble was enough to tell me Buffalo didn't want it on this day.  You give the ball away in your own end of the field shows you didn't come to win - no point wasting my time with the remainder of the game.

If you think that fumble is the "end of story" regrading why this team lost, then that is all you want to see.