How do we fix the run defense?

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Trading for a DL shouldn’t even be an option. 

The reality is that Star sucks (not shocking to anyone who actually pays attention), Hughes looks like his career as a pass rusher is over, Lawson is mediocre, and Murphy sucks (shocking nobody).

Our best player on the DL is Phillips. There’s likely no fixing the problem at this point in the year. 

The problem with Star is if your not gonna provide pass rush then you better be making sure that LOS doesnt move while someone else is doing it......

I would like to see what that DT we got off waivers from Miami might be able to provide.....Peko really doesnt do it for me.

5 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think the offense is going to pretty much be this for a while. The OC is a complete idiot who refuses to use Singletary but loves Frank Gore. The QB is someone we all like but he’s inconsistent at best. The Defense is the backbone of this team and needs to not give up 200 yards on the ground. We are a team that is going to play complementary football wether we want to or not. You can’t have the defense getting gashed for 9 min drives because they can’t top the run. 

He didnt love Frank Gore enough today.  

9 carries on the day, and only a few handoffs for Singletary.   This is where we see a lack of head coach game experience with McD.  

He knows by halftime we are up against an offense with an Oline that's knocking us off the ball and protecting Wentz.   It's a four point game and we're still in it, but its imperative that we dont keep going three and out on offense and handing it back them.

Instead of ball control and rhythm passing to move the chains and mix in the run effectively, Daboll sticks with his plan and runs what he believes will work best without regard for the fact that our defense is getting shredded.   That should have been a call by McD to say, look we need to adjust to maximum time of possesion plan, whatever that is.  

Same goes for 3rd down calls when you know you're gonna go for it on 4th down.  Perfect time to show pass (it was 3rd and 10) and then hand it off.  The box will not be stacked and there's a good chance you'll get 5-8 yards on the run there.  Instead they called two pass plays, fell short and gave away the last chance we had to stay in this game.

I'll bet Daboll called that 3rd down pass not knowing McD was gonna go for it on the next play.  

The loss of Harrison Phillips was huge.  We need a space eater, and Star ain't it.  Unlikely we will trade for anyone, so we better learn to "fit it up".  Edmunds is still young, so I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him yet.  The front 7 didn't get it done.  I agree we should blitz more, as our secondary is one of the best in the NFL.  Hope it was just a bad day, but we'll find out next week against the Deadskins.

The loss of Harrison was huge--- he was already taking time away from Star. Right now, they can dump Peko and bring up Taylor. Less time for Lotulelei in the rotation.

The edge guys are providing no rush-- maybe move Oliver, Lawson and Alexander around the line a bit.

Edited by par73

26 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The loss of Harrison Phillips was huge.  We need a space eater, and Star ain't it.  Unlikely we will trade for anyone, so we better learn to "fit it up".  Edmunds is still young, so I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him yet.  The front 7 didn't get it done.  I agree we should blitz more, as our secondary is one of the best in the NFL.  Hope it was just a bad day, but we'll find out next week against the Deadskins.

Our secondary is OK, but not anywhere close to great. We need more talent at CB. The only DT that's playing very well is JP. Edmunds has been a real disappointment IMO. He just doesn't have good awareness at all. That could get better with experience, but there's no guarantee. He definitely needs a much bigger mean streak too.

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Trading for a DL shouldn’t even be an option. 

The reality is that Star sucks (not shocking to anyone who actually pays attention), Hughes looks like his career as a pass rusher is over, Lawson is mediocre, and Murphy sucks (shocking nobody).

Our best player on the DL is Phillips. There’s likely no fixing the problem at this point in the year. 

Star sucks.... why does that make me think of coffee?

From the mouths of babes...

My dear wife, who watches the games with me only because she loves me (I believe), said something before, during one of our games.  It was along the lines of "How come the other team's players look bigger than ours?" to which I replied "That's because the opponent's O-linemen are usually bigger than our D-linemen."  to which she replied "I guess, but their D-linemen look bigger than our O-linemen, too." 

Checkmate.

Athletic, Paywall.  Tim Graham.

https://theathletic.com/1328440/2019/10/27/we-had-to-endure-that-ass-whupping-eagles-use-same-run-play-to-bludgeon-bills-defense/?source=shared-article

" The Buffalo Bills were unable to say why it happened.  ......But linebacker Lorenzo Alexander could explain how it felt to have the Philadelphia Eagles pulverize them into New Era Field turf pellets. “It is suffering,” Alexander said. “You’re out there and you’re losing, and it’s wet, cold. All their fans are out there, cheering for them, and you can’t stop anything. Tip your hat because they blocked very well, and we didn’t make plays. “We had to endure that ass-whupping.”

Pederson kept repeating one play — inside zone left — over and over and over. The Bills’ prideful defense struggled to stop it.

Why couldn’t the Bills stop inside zone left?

“I’m not exactly sure right now,” Bills linebacker Tremaine Edmunds said.

“I wish I could tell you,” Alexander said.

“It reminded me of the New Orleans game as you’re enduring it. … But that season, we were able to correct it and go on to the playoffs.

“So I think based on experience and being in this league, that’s why there’s no real panic. There is a sense of urgency, though, in getting it corrected and challenging guys so this doesn’t become a pattern of who we are.”

Let's hope they can correct it before another 5-2 start disappears under a pile of "L"s

68 - NYest
129 - Giants
66 - Bungles
74 - Pats
102 - Titans
109 - Fish
218 - Eagles

I'm calling this a fluke.  plain and simple 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/rushing/sort/rushingYardsPerGame/dir/desc

GB is averaging 123 rushing ypg allowed,  KC 145.

It could be worse  

Buffalo's average is 109 after yesterday ...   91.3 prior 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost