How do we fix the run defense?

Murphy and Star have been huge busts and make little to no impact. Hughes is past his prime. Oliver is undersized. We have a young MLB who has big potential but looks lost currently. The only other LB that has any business starting is always hurt. Phillips is out for the year but even when healthy is a solid rotation guy at best. 

Our front 7 is a bit of mess.

25 minutes ago, Process said:

Murphy and Star have been huge busts and make little to no impact. Hughes is past his prime. Oliver is undersized. We have a young MLB who has big potential but looks lost currently. The only other LB that has any business starting is always hurt. Phillips is out for the year but even when healthy is a solid rotation guy at best. 

Our front 7 is a bit of mess.

The healthy Phillips is good though. Can’t just leave him out. Maybe the bills can convince Kyle to come out for the last 8 games ?‍♂️

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There are run blitzes.

Can't see it with McD.  His whole scheme is about not giving up the big play.   Blitz into the wrong hole and you'll get gashed big time.   

I think one thing they need to do is find an upgrade to Peko when he's rotated in...

Edited by Lurker

Just now, Lurker said:

Can't see it with McD.  His whole scheme is about not giving up the big play.   Blitz into the whong hole and you'll get gashed big time.   

I think one thing they need to do is find an upgrade to Peko when he's rotated in...

I think Beane is probably looking at trades, guys on other teams’ practice squads etc. right now.  Two games now where teams dominated our D line.

FWIW ... for comparison, PFF has Dareus and Star as roughly equal in their rankings this year, Ed Oliver a tick higher, and Jordan Phillips as considerably better than those 3.. But Harrison Phillips was better than all of them. So losing him hurt a lot.

In general, McD's defense prizes speed/quickness/versatility over size/strength, so a guy like Harrison played a critical role. I imagine any team with a good power running game can exploit that. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It seems as if the past 2 games have exposed a pretty serious flaw in the Bills defense. Miami laid a blueprint for having success on the ground against our front and the Eagles buried us because of it. It’s imperative that the Bills get infront of this issue and squash it before it leads to more losses. What is the solution to the flawed run defense? A change up in the DT rotation? Less Star? Less Oliver? Perhaps a trade for a run stuffing DT or even a 2 down MLB? More Alexander in obviousl run downs? Less nickel? Any thoughts?

it was a problem last year as well

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I think this is entirely correctible. As wandstedian as this sounds, it’s about gap control.  They have issues with that on zone and stretch runs. But I think they can be coached up on it. 

I hope it’s this.  But my view of today is they just got physically whipped, and when that happens things like gap control become secondary.

Edited by oldmanfan

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I hope it’s this.  But my view of today is they just got physically whipped, and when that happens things like gap control become secondary.

I hope I’m right too!! 

I am less worried about the physicality. The Bills were winning on that front for almost the entire first half. They got gassed late. Everyone is just remembering that last few drives.

i am more worried about that long run and the stretch runs where they were giving up like 5-6 yards a pop. I think that’s gap control.