A Few Thoughts about the Eagles Game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We can, but what then?  Unless the Bills coaches put together some serious self-scouting and figure something out, it is looking as though we are missing something to go anywhere if we do.  IMO both some players and some coaching.

Exactly. We're pretty much an exactly average team. I'm looking at fivethirtyeight's continuous update to their ELO rankings, where 1500 is set as average. We're at 1493. 18th in the NFL. Thanks to the weakness of the AFC though, that's 8th in the conference with a 65 % playoff chance, but still: weaker than Jax, Titans, Indy, and way below Baltimore. The weak schedule has put us in great position, and so far the Bills haven't blown it (Philly is, on paper and on the field, a better team, and obviously the Pats are too), but this is still a middle of the pack team.

Virgil, I think you're right about the O line. It's a veteran crew that outside of Morse and Dawkins is composed of cast-offs from other teams and a project (Ford) who've played reasonably well, but who are limited, and those limitations are showing. Today was a tough day for the deep ball to emerge, but still: the deep ball has been missing all year. And to your thoughts let me add "where's Jerry Hughes?" 

Yeah, that's a pretty spot-on summation, Virgil.

We were really beaten by a better team in all facets of the game.

Some of the run-blocking by the Eagles made it look like men playing with boys out there.  Way too easy.

Oh... and the "Charlie Sheen" play is the most perfectly named offense play ever.  It was a complete train-wreck !

One more thing... props to Eagles  Mafia  fans for really making their presence heard on the broadcast of the game.  If seem like there was a lot of their fans there.

Edited by Bad Things

46 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Great writeup as usual, Virgil! 

My huge concern is that there are no slam dunk wins for us... there should be... but look  at the Jets, Bengals, and Dolphins games. Throw in the Titans as well. A couple bad bounces and breaks, and those slam dunks become losses for us (putting us right back in the cellar of the NFL).

Yes I’m pretty pessimistic right now, and am firmly in the ‘we’re nowhere near as good as our record shows’ camp.  I love the Bills.. I just don’t see this team being truly worthy of a playoff spot.... Either they need to make some roster improvements, or our coaches need to get their sh!t together quickly!  If not, there are no easy wins remaining on our schedule.  That’s a scary thought. 

Other than the Redskins IF Haskins has to play QB (Keenum concussion, so it ought to be a slam dunk if that happens), I agree. Even the Dolphins gave us a good scare ...

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Other than the Redskins IF Haskins has to play QB (Keenum concussion, so it ought to be a slam dunk if that happens), I agree. Even the Dolphins gave us a good scare ...

Well, it's the NFL after all and the Bills aren't the Patriots so I think you have to assume that every game will be tough.

1 minute ago, vincec said:

Well, it's the NFL after all and the Bills aren't the Patriots so I think you have to assume that every game will be tough.

Agreed, but Haskins has looked completely lost.

You could also get the Broncos with Drew Lock at QB, but I won't discount him until he sees some regular season action ... for all I know he's the next Gardner Minshew.

Have to say I agree with all your points and your assessment. I have been feeling this way all season, doubting the coaching, the offense in toto, the D personnel, and the 5 wins. But unlike you, I am not depressed because, in Dennis Greens immortal words, the Bills "are who thought they were." Or maybe Warren Buffett's adage is better: " You don't know who's been swimming naked until the tide goes out. "

Edited by yungmack

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

^^^

This.

The vibes I got from the boards before today:

Josh Allen is a 4th quarter master who will always come through in the clutch.  That one poll most even thought he would have led the win against the Pats if not injured.  

The Bills are a good team that's why other teams look bad

Just trust the process.  We are 5-1.  "The process" guarantees wins no matter what it looks like 

After today:

This team is trash

Josh Allen sucks

We were 5-1 because we had a cupcake schedule 

The OC should be fired

Like you I think the Bills are in the middle.  2020 was really the year I had the high expectations for.  9-10 wins is still definitely doable though this year.  

Doable?  9 wins would be totally unacceptable at this point.   With this schedule, 10 is barely acceptable, after starting 5-1.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

We can, but it's not going to be as easy it seemed before two weeks ago.  I see 4 more slam dunk wins.  I could argue each of the remaining.

min a matter of minutes you went from maybe not winning another game to 4 slam dunks. 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

min a matter of minutes you went from maybe not winning another game to 4 slam dunks. 

There are zero slam dunks on our schedule.  We have a bottom of the barrel offense that’s going to cause us to struggle to beat even poor teams like Miami, Washington and the Jests. We should still win 10 games, but we’ll have fight and scrap every week in order to get there.

Edited by mannc

18 minutes ago, mannc said:

Doable?  9 wins would be totally unacceptable at this point.   With this schedule, 10 is barely acceptable, after starting 5-1.

It’s not like they give you extra wins because you start well. I had them starting 5-1 and finishing 10-6. Totally acceptable.

The thing that stands out the most for me is the lack of talent the Bills have. The Star and Murphy signings were horrible. John Brown is good, but the other receivers leave a lot to be desired. The O line Morse is good the rest of the guys they signed are spot starters at best. They need to take their 70 million in cap space and spend it on bringing real talent in here.

I agree with your take on Allen.  Through the first 3 quarters I was feeling like he was on his way to having one of his best games. 

But the inability to stop the Eagles offense put to much pressure on a Bills offense that's still a work in progress.  Get 2 stops on those 3 TD drives in the 2nd half and I absolutely believe Allen and the O get another TD to win the game 20 - 17.  But if you had told me ahead of time that the Eagles were going to score 31 points in a WIND GAME I would have said the Bills got their butts kicked.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It’s not like they give you extra wins because you start well. I had them starting 5-1 and finishing 10-6. Totally acceptable.

They have the weakest schedule imaginable.  The Bills might very well play only three games against teams with winning records.  As I said, 10-6 is barely acceptable.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea... 11-5 should be the bare minimum with this cake walk schedule for a regime in year 3.... still plenty of time to rebound, but for such a team heavily invested in the defense, they've looked pretty mediocre on that side of the ball the last couple weeks. 

Yeah, I’m just so sick of watching an offense with literally zero playmakers.  It’s just depressing.

Edited by mannc

1. McD and staff coach not to lose

2. No pass rush

3. No turnovers 

4. Special teams suck

5. Odd play calling

6. Pre-snap penalties 

7. Defense collapses

Tell me what has changed in three years? 

Beane needs to make two moves to fix an overrated defense. They need a pass rusher and a big body to spell Star.  Murphy needs to be benched. Lawson wasn't that good today either but he is a far better player than Murphy. Teams are going to run all over them if they don't start Lawson.  Murphy is the defensive equivalent to Peterman only far more expensive.