A Few Thoughts about the Eagles Game, in no particular order

Virgil

I just hope we can win another game!  Spot on. Let’s fix/improve and move on to the skins.

5-2 is certainly not too shabby so far.  We were a borderline playoff team starting the season.  We still are.

D2561FA1-B358-4CE5-860B-EA684661A2C2.jpeg

Edited by JinxedBill

24 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

true.  But not if we play like we did the last two games.  If we played ANY other team last week we likely are 4-3.  

might want to change Ravens and Denver to Loss if last 2 weeks continue 

Yeah, beating the Ravens would be a big win. And probably an upset.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

We can, but it's not going to be as easy it seemed before two weeks ago.  I see 4 more slam dunk wins.  I could argue each of the remaining.

This game alters nothing about the big picture for the season.

When we play bad teams, we squeak out wins.

When we play good teams, we lose.

Expect this team to qualify for the playoffs as a wildcard, face a good team on the road, and lose.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

We can, but it's not going to be as easy it seemed before two weeks ago.  I see 4 more slam dunk wins.  I could argue each of the remaining.

Great writeup as usual, Virgil! 

My huge concern is that there are no slam dunk wins for us... there should be... but look  at the Jets, Bengals, and Dolphins games. Throw in the Titans as well. A couple bad bounces and breaks, and those slam dunks become losses for us (putting us right back in the cellar of the NFL).

Yes I’m pretty pessimistic right now, and am firmly in the ‘we’re nowhere near as good as our record shows’ camp.  I love the Bills.. I just don’t see this team being truly worthy of a playoff spot.... Either they need to make some roster improvements, or our coaches need to get their sh!t together quickly!  If not, there are no easy wins remaining on our schedule.  That’s a scary thought. 

I'm laying this at the foot of McD, Daboll, and Frazier.  McD screwed up before the game even started, benching McKittrick for Foster, who had one target and didn't adjust to the ball.  Foster slows down, maybe he draws a PI call.  Why Foster on a day with 30mph winds?  The ST reason I heard before the game, since McK only returns kicks, kinda made sense, but why not wait for a calm day at The Cap?

Then he elects to receive, instead of deferring.  While the wind worked out in the end, Philly could have screwed him on the wind by electing to kick in the 2nd half.

He dropped the challenge flag on the borderline non-PI call on Brown, but THANK GOD it was after the snap, which resulted in the Motor screen pass TD.  McD was a *****in' disaster today.

Daboll let Josh handle it 42 times, versus just 12 for Gore/Motor.  On a day where most of the game was within two scores, that's inexcusable.  The worst call was 3rd and two on your own 20 yard line.  Eschew the HOF'er for your rookie QB who's already put the ball on the carpet.  That play cost the Bills the game, as the Eagles go in for the TD and never look back.  

And Down goes Frayzhuh!!  His inability to adjust to stop the run, or to put pressure on Wentz was just brutal.  Repeated failures on 3rd down, no spy on Wentz, nothing.  Schwartz had no problem stopping us with two practice squad guys on the DL starting their first NFL game.  We were terrible by comparison.

In the biggest game of the season, complete coaching failure in all phases of the game.  May we hope for better going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John in Jax said:

Someone said it in the game day thread, and it bears repeating here: The Bills are who we thought they are. And the latter "we" refers to those of us with some actual football knowledge, and DO NOT wear rose-colored glasses. LOL

You're giving yourself way too much credit here, you with the "actual football knowledge."

Your spot on.   I'd add the defense continues to be not aggressive enough to force mistakes by the opposing qb  How is it on every 2nd and 10 we get gashed for most of that on a simple draw play.  Offense I'd start with what exactly is our identity?  Seriously I cannot figure out what we are trying to accomplish other than possibly get Allen injured yet again.  There are drives where they look like a bad jv high school offense .  For the love of God please stop with the endless hard count  Allen's cadence has drawn way more false starts than anything helping the offense and it helps the defense time the snap knowing they are down to  few on the play clock  I'm over the disappointment and in full disclosure elated we sit at 5-2.  Now to not overreact and try and enjoy the week up to a winnable Skins game

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Good post all around, Virgil. Regarding the above, I don't know if you saw the article about McD and the coaching staff, but supposedly they're all open to criticism from the players. Hopefully, Josh gets into Daboll's ear about the play-calling. I'm guessing he's not happy with it either.

In a way, I see Daboll as being a lot like Josh. He's still learning this job at an NFL level, just like Josh is. At times, both have shown signs of competence - and occasional brilliance now and then - while at other times we're scratching our heads and asking, "What the hell was he thinking?" Best case scenario, they grow and learn together, and contribute to each other's success.

We don't have the luxury of training Dumbell while we're training Josh. We needed an experienced OC who can teach JA at a developmental pace. Not a clueless guy who's making more mistakes than his young qb.

1 hour ago, John in Jax said:

Someone said it in the game day thread, and it bears repeating here: The Bills are who we thought they are. And the latter "we" refers to those of us with some actual football knowledge, and DO NOT wear rose-colored glasses. LOL

I did say earlier in the game day thread that “the Bills are who most people thought they were.”  More referring to the rest of the league, fans and media.  I still stand by that statement!

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'm laying this at the foot of McD, Daboll, and Frazier.  McD screwed up before the game even started, benching McKittrick for Foster, who had one target and didn't adjust to the ball.  Foster slows down, maybe he draws a PI call.  Why Foster on a day with 30mph winds?  The ST reason I heard before the game, since McK only returns kicks, kinda made sense, but why not wait for a calm day at The Cap?

I wasn't at the game, but from what the commentators said, the ball was completely destroyed by the wind.  Even the defenders seemed to have lost the ball in the air.  I can't put that on Foster.

I can blame Daboll for not calling his number more than once though.  If that was the play, then McKenzie should have started

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

I wasn't at the game, but from what the commentators said, the ball was completely destroyed by the wind.  Even the defenders seemed to have lost the ball in the air.  I can't put that on Foster.

I can blame Daboll for not calling his number more than once though.  If that was the play, then McKenzie should have started

Just read your Don't Post Angry thread, but I'm still pissed.  I'm in Denny Green mode.  "WE LET 'EM OFF THE HOOK!"