A Few Thoughts about the Eagles Game, in no particular order

Virgil

1 minute ago, DuckyBoys said:

its bad when your only threat on offense is John Brown who would be a terrific #2 

Exactly.  And people were actually suggesting this week that we should trade 2 first round picks for a 31 year old defensive player.  

And let’s not forget, the Eagles are a pretty bad defense.   As is Miami, of course.

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Exactly.  And people were actually suggesting this week that we should trade 2 first round picks for a 31 year old defensive player.  

And let’s not forget, the Eagles are a pretty bad defense.   As is Miami, of course.

Miami cant stop the run so we abandon it  Who knows what nonsese we try next week

40 minutes ago, mannc said:

Let's not forget that Philly has a front seven that beat the snot out of us.  A mean front seven on defense covers a lot of shortcomings in the rest of the team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He should look in the mirror. His hand picked defense got manhandled. 

An understatement to say the least. Everyone in the building knew the Eagles were going to run the ball there in the fourth and run they did. Today we saw the e get taken out of elite. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good write up Virgil.  

To the comments in the thread about Daboll ad the generally bad offensive performance.  I felt like the Eagles offense today is what the Bills want to be.  Misdirection and RPO

plays.  Good mix of run and pass, RB by committee, and the QB with a few select runs to pickup key first downs.

The O-line was bad today.  Right from the first series where incredibly they seemed to have no plan to block Cox, to missed blocks by 70, to Morse making a TFL on Allen and causing a fumble.  

• Like (+1) 1

Total team loss. 

Josh had little time to get in a rhythm, hurried all day.  Took off a few times when he should have set and thrown.  Running game was terrible.  Gotta get your running backs the ball more than 12 times on a day like yesterday.  And just stop with these designed Josh runs before you get him injured.

What killed us was the middle of the defense.  Every person in the stadium knew it was not going to be a day to rely on the passing game.  Defense gave up too many runs up the middle, some seemingly uncontested.  Simply unacceptable.  

I’m not a fan of McD’s penchant to only provide a serious pass rush/blitz at the moment you need them, 3rd down, long 2nd down.  Need to have a consistent, get in the QB’s face all game pass rush.  Do that and set the tone and rattle the QB.  Believe or D-backs are good enough to cover in those situations, not when the QB has extended periods to pass.  And as stated above, gotta be better stuffing the middle.

Something else that's been driving me nuts about our offense.  I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Josh Allen and his hard count cadence call for the ball to be snapped after the 3rd hut.  I don't know if he's trying to get the defense to jump offside or what but it's not only predictable, it's not working.  I think only 2 or 3 times during the game did the ball get snapped on the first or second hut.  All of the other times, it was on the third call, like clockwork.

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

And Down goes Frayzhuh!!  His inability to adjust to stop the run, or to put pressure on Wentz was just brutal. 

They did actually get some pressure early in the game on Wentz. He completed 2 passes on his first 8 dropbacks of the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Something else that's been driving me nuts about our offense.  I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Josh Allen and his hard count cadence call for the ball to be snapped after the 3rd hut.  I don't know if he's trying to get the defense to jump offside or what but it's not only predictable, it's not working.  I think only 2 or 3 times during the game did the ball get snapped on the first or second hut.  All of the other times, it was on the third call, like clockwork.

This is so right on. Makes me nuts. Kid has the exact same sequence every time. It was far too loud with Eagles fans but still. 

the O line was bad especially tackle. Josh was completing his drop in time with defensive ends being level with him on most plays. He stepped into space a few times but they were bad. Many times I shouted at the TV because Wentz had so much time. Josh had that much time maybe once. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

They did actually get some pressure early in the game on Wentz. He completed 2 passes on his first 8 dropbacks of the game. 

Lawson had pressure early. Murphy did bupkis

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We can, but what then?  Unless the Bills coaches put together some serious self-scouting and figure something out, it is looking as though we are missing something to go anywhere if we do.  IMO both some players and some coaching.

it is what I was talking about, a falling in self scouting.

A shame that one of the few games I was able to see while happening rather afterwards was so sloppy.

I hope Coach McD gave them a scolding but this was not all on the players.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They they dropped into pass defense coverage and allowed large second down runs....multiple times....without adjusting....

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

Sorry for the doom and gloom.  Today was a crushing loss for me and I can't spin it.  Sure, we are 5-2, but I don't want to be a 0-1 playoff team again.  Right now, that's all I can see from us and I can't see Daboll getting out of his own way to allow himself to scheme an offense that plays to our players strengths.  

Go Bills!

It's not doom and gloom.  You only can write about what you see, and what you saw yesterday wasn't quality football.   

I'm not discouraged.   My view all along has been that 2020 is the first year to expect the Bills to be really good.   The Bills need young guys, particularly Allen and Edmunds, to continue to grow into the stars I expect they will be, and the Bills one more infusion of talent through the draft and free agency.   Anything better than 9-7 this season would be great, but it won't surprise me if that's all the Bills can do.  

The Bills need the next three games.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

It's not doom and gloom.  You only can write about what you see, and what you saw yesterday wasn't quality football.   

I'm not discouraged.   My view all along has been that 2020 is the first year to expect the Bills to be really good.   The Bills need young guys, particularly Allen and Edmunds, to continue to grow into the stars I expect they will be, and the Bills one more infusion of talent through the draft and free agency.   Anything better than 9-7 this season would be great, but it won't surprise me if that's all the Bills can do.  

The Bills need the next three games.  

100% and in a way I am enjoying this period of struggle. I think it'll be good for the team long term. I'm interested to see how they deal with adversity, in particular an issue (run defense) that should theoretically be right in McDermott's wheelhouse. 

I expected this team to compete for a wildcard this year but like you I thought they'd have to wait for 2020 to realize their potential ie deep playoff run. They seem to still be on that schedule...I think seeing how they adapt this year will be very instructive re: their long-term prospects for success.