A Few Thoughts about the Eagles Game, in no particular order

Virgil

You either believe talent trumps scheme or vice versa.  In today's game, I don't know what to believe.  On paper, we should have been able to run up the middle all day on the Eagles as well as abuse their secondary.  The weather would imply that this was going to be a low scoring game where better ground game won.  Lastly, a 5-1 team at home against a 3-4 team that just got blown out.  Even watching the Bills enter the stadium before the game, you could see the energy just wasn't there.  Eagles fans were all over the stadium.  People hate the term "Billsy" or "BBFS", but on a week where we got the most geographic viewership of the season, the critics picked us to win, and we could go 6-1 for the first time in forever, the Bills put up the type of game we all know too well this past 20 years.  Now, we will be the team that everyone called pessimists predicted; a 5-2 team that can't beat a team with a winning record.  And yes, they are right until they are wrong.  Along with that, 8-4 through 12 just became a lot more of a possibility.

1 - Outcoached - This game stops and starts here for me.  No matter what play we called on defense in key situations, the Eagles always had a counter.  They used screen passes, wheel routes, and QB scrambles to keep the defense on the field.  Even when they punted, it never felt like we ever shut them down.  What's worse is that we had plenty of negative plays where it was 2nd and long.  Then, almost every single time, they busted out a big run up the middle to make it 3rd and 10 or better.  It happened so much that you really have to wonder how the Bills couldn't know it was coming.  This was a game between two teams trying to establish who they were going into the second half of the season and could have broke open/destroyed a season.  The Eagles showed up and we didn't.

2 - Defensive Line - In the second half, when the Eagles were shoving it down our throats, we ran with our heavy set of Star, Phillips, and Johnson to no avail.  We couldn't generate enough of a pass rush with our core 4, but got upfield enough to be susceptible to the screens.  Then, when that wasn't happening, Wentz scrambled out enough to hurt us.  Long story short, this defensive line that's meant to be a strength was destroyed by a team who hadn't rushed well all season and was without a key starter.   I've also given this 7 games to finally say, where was Oliver?  I'm tired of the excuses about a guy who's contributions don't show up on the stat sheet.  That's what I hear about Star all the time.  Oliver saw a lot of single blocks and got held up.  Phillips gets in the backfield more in my opinion.  It's about time for our top 10 pick to start making an impact on the game.

3 - Daboll - I'm getting incredibly frustrated with his playcalling as well as his priority reads.  In the first half, we make no attempt to hide rushing formations vs passing.  We allow the opposing defense to stack the box.  When we were in shotgun in the first half, we bunched the receivers near the ball, allowing them to continue to stack the box.  Then, when he does call a play more than 10 yards down field, we are throwing to TE's and FB's.   I'm not saying they should just let Allen play street ball, but let him play to his strengths.  Line up in more shotgun formations, spread the receivers across the entire field with a single back.  This opens up rushing lanes, gives receivers space to work in (why we brought in Beasley), and gives Allen better options to run if he sees it.  This offense is extremely hit or miss, with way more miss.  The majority of our scoring plays came on broken plays or where Allen is allowed to improvise.  Today was no different.

4 - Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!

5 - Allen - I was good with Allen today.  People want to jump on his fumbles, but he only lost one of them.  The other two were going to be negative plays regardless.  The fumble he did lose came on a play that they've run with great success in the past.  On this specific play, Morse tripped while pulling to block and let a defender come in free at Allen.  I don't expect a lot of QB's to hold onto that ball.  Execution was the issue there, not Allen nor the playcall.  Other than that, Allen only missed a few throws, but many of them were miscommunication with the receivers.  I'd be curious to know who was wrong on the plays, but Beasley and Knox had to large ones that missed first downs or touchdowns.  Allen's first TD pass was setup completely by Allen and he did a good job of squaring his shoulders on throws.  He used his legs well and slid at the right time.  I'm not blaming the offense on Allen and before you call be an Allen apologist, see my first 5 reviews of him.  I like what I'm seeing of him.

6 - Defensive LVP's:  Edmunds, Wallace, & Marlowe - I'm not sure if I missed an injury or something, but Marlowe played way more snaps than usual.  On the busted TD run to start the second half, I think he is the one that got double tackled with Milano.  He also whiffed on a few passes.  Not sure if his playing was a strategy thing, but his presence was a liability on the field today.  I'd be curious to know more about this.   Same for Wallace as he was abused on the few passing plays they made.

Edmunds had his worst game of the season.  Howard bowled him over on a few plays and he was back to getting eaten up by blockers.  He did have a few good plays where he tracked the ball well, but overall just a liability in a game where we were ran all over.

7 - Finishing plays - I marked down at least 4 plays where a Bills player is calling for a flag before the ball even hits the ground.  Maybe there were a bunch of missed calls, but the Refs seemed to overall let them play.  I'm more concerned about the victim mentality that I saw out there as the game wore on.  We looked pathetic out there as a team getting beaten and then whining for more calls.  Again, maybe there was more to this, but not a good look.

8 - Tre - I have to give probs to Tre again this week.  He was covering everyone.  Tre was the main reason you didn't hear Ertz's name until the 4th quarter, but also was all over the field covering everyone it seemed.  I know Ertz is having a down year, but it's not easy for a DB to cover a TE like Ertz.  I was surprised that Hyde wasn't covering him today.  Regardless, Tre was out best defensive player on the field today.

9 - Offensive Line - Just too many jailbreaks today against Allen, especially on the edges.  I don't really care what scheme Schwartz brought against us.  There were just too many plays where Allen was harrassed and offensive lineman are standing up straight.  And while I still blame Daboll's formations and scheme, this line is not creating the holes they should be on rushing plays.  This is now multiple weeks in a row where they look confused and aren't getting a good push.

10 - Justified Anger - There's always going to be both sides of the coin when it comes to Bills fans.  There's those who will say it's only one game and we are still 5-2 while there are others who will say we suck and the 5-2 is just a mirage.  I'm in between honestly.  We can only play the schedule as it's written.  There are other teams equally benefiting from easy scheduling and a weak AFC.  However, the inconsistency on offense and need for 4th quarter comebacks have been a tipping point all season.  Today showed how badly it can go the other way.  If we make the playoffs, we are going to play more complete team and will need to play a complete game.  Through 7 games, we haven't and it's getting harder to justify why that hasn't happened yet.  We all wear our fandom on our sleeves and in a game where we were shown in the entire north east, we were embarrassed.  Even if we go 6-2, the narrative will be the same; we haven't beaten anyone.  Winning this game would have proven to many that the Bills have arrived, something that so many of us need after the past 20 years.  Now, we are back to dreaded 5-2 again with just as many questions about our offense as when we started the season.  Some are calling for a trade for a top WR.  Honestly, who is out there besides injured 31 year old AJ Green who may not even be available.  Even further, I'd challenge that Daboll wouldn't even know how to use him if he were here.  

Sorry for the doom and gloom.  Today was a crushing loss for me and I can't spin it.  Sure, we are 5-2, but I don't want to be a 0-1 playoff team again.  Right now, that's all I can see from us and I can't see Daboll getting out of his own way to allow himself to scheme an offense that plays to our players strengths.  

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We lost

we are 5 and 2

i predicted 10 wins this year

we can still get there

We can, but it's not going to be as easy it seemed before two weeks ago.  I see 4 more slam dunk wins.  I could argue each of the remaining.

Everything leading up to this game just felt off to me for some reason.

The fact that it was on fox and I couldn't have a few frosty beverages made it even more unbearable to watch. 

Oh well, on to Washington. 

Edited by The Wiz

The play calls where Daboll has Allen sprinting to right or left as frequently as he does are incredibly frustrating. You eliminate one half of the field immediately and on purpose. Essentially doing the defense a favor. I get that Josh is good on the run, but you know what’s more impactful? Calling an offense that makes the defense respect you and cover the entire field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We lost

we are 5 and 2

i predicted 10 wins this year

we can still get there

We can, but what then?  Unless the Bills coaches put together some serious self-scouting and figure something out, it is looking as though we are missing something to go anywhere if we do.  IMO both some players and some coaching.

• Like (+1) 4

It's been said the difference in talent level in the NFL from the great to bad teams is minimal. Today was about NEED. Iggles needed/wanted it way more than we did. I would not want to be in the film room this week it was ugly.

On too Washington and 6-2.

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 1

That turnover by Josh before halftime was killer. 2 minutes til halftime at our own 25 yd line, up 7-3. Gift them 8 points right there, and they get the ball back to begin the 3rd qrtr. Boom 17-7. They had 3 point to that point. Killer, just killer.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Virgil said:

10 - Justified Anger - There's always going to be both sides of the coin when it comes to Bills fans.  There's those who will say it's only one game and we are still 5-2 while there are others who will say we suck and the 5-2 is just a mirage.  I'm in between honestly. 

^^^

This.

The vibes I got from the boards before today:

Josh Allen is a 4th quarter master who will always come through in the clutch.  That one poll most even thought he would have led the win against the Pats if not injured.  

The Bills are a good team that's why other teams look bad

Just trust the process.  We are 5-1.  "The process" guarantees wins no matter what it looks like 

After today:

This team is trash

Josh Allen sucks

We were 5-1 because we had a cupcake schedule 

The OC should be fired

Like you I think the Bills are in the middle.  2020 was really the year I had the high expectations for.  9-10 wins is still definitely doable though this year.  

Edited by Another Fan

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Derek Wolfe reportedly is available and might save our season.  He’s the player I want in a trade. 

I hope he does something because right now, there is blood in the water.

Every team will be ramming it down our throats.

• Like (+1) 2