A Message of Calm from a Josh Allen Skeptic...

BigDingus

19 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Triple up on that concern. I feel like Daboll has cut off Josh's balls. Josh doesn't have that killer instinct when running like he had before. I understand the need to try to make him a pocket passer, but look what Lamar is doing with his legs. Josh was doing the same thing, but now he  hesitates too much. Daboll seems to call plays to Josh's weaknesses instead of playing to his strengths. The running calls with Gore up the gut all the time are also so predictable. It feels like defenses know what we are going to do and react accordingly. 

The play calling seems to be getting worse as the year goes on and any unpredictability that keeps a defense on its heels is a thing of the past.

play calls are the same they are just even less effective with 7 games of film now showing the same lousy plays over and over  Given how the field was and wind, why exactly did we not see the jet sweep used today?

• Like (+1) 1

People trying to label him a non franchise QB or a franchise QB at this point are both jumping the game. He hasn't proven either to be true and honestly I'm not going to judge him until the end of year 3. He was a project with high upside, we all knew that when he was drafted so this is going to be a process to determine what he is. 

I have seen enough to remain hopeful that he will be a franchise guy, he has improved alot but still has work to do. 

36 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't like Daboll either, but it's also an indictment on McDermott's ability to hire the right OC. I actually like McD, but not many HC's get to burn through OC's without a period of sustained success to provide the organization sufficient confidence in the HC himself. We'll see.

100% agree. Daboll is McDermott problem ultimately. I saw McDermott listening in on the offensive play calling today with the game play script in his hand. I don’t believe he has always been doing that. Correct me is I am wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

That QB run call on 3rd and short after the 2:00 warning was mind boggling. Totally asinine and unoriginal play call on a wet and windy day deep on your side of the field is inexcusable. Oh, and BTW the D was playing well before that deflating play that turned momentum and eventually the game.

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

That QB run call on 3rd and short after the 2:00 warning was mind boggling. Totally asinine and unoriginal play call on a wet and windy day deep on your side of the field is inexcusable. Oh, and BTW the D was playing well before that deflating play that turned momentum and eventually the game.

I think Dumbell is living off the running success of Josh last year. You know, when no teams had a spy on him until the Lions game. Now yards are coming a little tougher for Josh even though he still has some good scrambles. But the best way to turn your qb into an injured Cam Newton is to do what Daboll is doing. All this incessant designed runs have to stop. He'll have plenty of opportunities to run when the pocket collapses.  He's learned how to slide after the Jones hit. Let him learn from the pocket or occassional roll outs but stop with these jet sweeps. Your going to get him hurt or brutal game changing fumbles like today.

5 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

People trying to label him a non franchise QB or a franchise QB at this point are both jumping the game. He hasn't proven either to be true and honestly I'm not going to judge him until the end of year 3. He was a project with high upside, we all knew that when he was drafted so this is going to be a process to determine what he is. 

I have seen enough to remain hopeful that he will be a franchise guy, he has improved alot but still has work to do. 

Spot on post.  I wish I had seen at least a few a few games where he aired it out consistently with success- unfortunately there has been none    ?

• Like (+1) 1

Id love to have rosy view of Allen after today like the OP but I just cant see any improvement. Great that he's not making bad decisions and getting INTs but what is he doing that's positive? His running is still decent and he is very elusive but the deep ball touch is abysmal. Again today he had another receiver open and this time underthrew him WITH the wind! He has arm strength but doesn't have it combined with the ability to put a ball in a window. And this something we need because sometimes our receivers don't get a lot of separation. I'm still waiting for that big breakout game which hasn't happened yet.  I just don't want to go through yet another high draft QB who just disappoints like Losman or EJ. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

Triple up on that concern. I feel like Daboll has cut off Josh's balls. Josh doesn't have that killer instinct when running like he had before. I understand the need to try to make him a pocket passer, but look what Lamar is doing with his legs. Josh was doing the same thing, but now he  hesitates too much. Daboll seems to call plays to Josh's weaknesses instead of playing to his strengths. The running calls with Gore up the gut all the time are also so predictable. It feels like defenses know what we are going to do and react accordingly. 

The play calling seems to be getting worse as the year goes on and any unpredictability that keeps a defense on its heels is a thing of the past.

3rd and 1 end of second half- pound Gore or DiMarco for the yard and keep chains moving. No reason so sneak Josh there. Results a turnover and that slid the rest the of the game. 

30 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Id love to have rosy view of Allen after today like the OP but I just cant see any improvement. Great that he's not making bad decisions and getting INTs but what is he doing that's positive? His running is still decent and he is very elusive but the deep ball touch is abysmal. Again today he had another receiver open and this time underthrew him WITH the wind! He has arm strength but doesn't have it combined with the ability to put a ball in a window. And this something we need because sometimes our receivers don't get a lot of separation. I'm still waiting for that big breakout game which hasn't happened yet.  I just don't want to go through yet another high draft QB who just disappoints like Losman or EJ. 

cmon the wind knocked the football straight down  Today is not the day to go complaining about the long ball

17 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Lol ^^^ 

Tryhard alert.     Brees was trash for the Chargers fwiw 

Nothing funny about it. 

Julian Edelman average yards of separation, 3.0 -  always open, always making catches.

Cole Beasley average yards of separation, 3.5 - never utilized, practically non existent

On New England, he's on his way to a pro bowl...period.

His whole career Beasley created separation, this is exactly the reason we went after him in the off season.

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

laugh it up Buttercup....

The 5-foot-8 Texas native quickly turned out to be one of Dak Prescott’s favorite targets last season, and Beasly turned in career highs in targets (98), receptions (75), receiving yards (833), and tied his career high in touchdown receptions (five). As PFF notes, his slot catch rate was the highest among slot receivers in the NFL last season. The 78.9% he posted last season improved on his already impressive career catch-percentage of 72%.

In fact, Beasley stacks up to not just the elite slot receivers, but also the best wideouts in entire league.

By Football Outsiders’ DYAR metric (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement), which assigns value to a wide receiver’s performance compared to replacement-level production, Beasley was the fifth most valuable receiver last season, ahead of players like Antonio Brown, A.J. Green, and DeSean Jackson. Similarly, he was also the fifth-ranked wideout in DVOA, which grades the receiver on a per-play basis and measures players on how much better they are than the league average at their position.

And that was Dak Prescott throwing him passes...not Tom Brady.

Very nicely thought out and written. 

I agree with most of what you’ve said. I think Allen could really benefit from another receiving option. Brown is a great #2, and Beasley is a solid slot option, but they need a go-to #1 option for him. 

Allen consistently plays well for about 30% of the game. he has not had a single full game where he has played well.

Barkley has.

I havent given up on him--But the meandering play where nothing seems to happen needs to stop.

1 minute ago, Dkollidas said:

Very nicely thought out and written. 

I agree with most of what you’ve said. I think Allen could really benefit from another receiving option. Brown is a great #2, and Beasley is a solid slot option, but they need a go-to #1 option for him. 

wr is not the problem

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

Nothing funny about it. 

Julian Edelman average yards of separation, 3.0 -  always open, always making catches.

Cole Beasley average yards of separation, 3.5 - never utilized, practically non existent

His whole career Beasley created separation, this is exactly the reason we went after him in the off season.

its hardto cover those mini me's

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

That is completely false.   Im tired of the excuses for Allen. 

Cole Beasley averages 3.5 yards of separation per play.   That is wide open in the NFL, its on par with the best in the league, and its always open. 

Smoke averages 2.5, which is about the league average in terms of separation. 

These guys are open, Allen simply isnt connecting. 

Why do you think Beasley is getting more aggravated by the week?  The plays are there to be made and these players are open. 

If Beasley was on New England he'd be pro bowl bound. 

It's been widely reported that the team is looking for another receiver and were in talks with Denver about Emmanuel Sanders who ended up in SF. So, if Brandon Beane was happy with all that separation the current receivers are getting, why would he be looking for another WR? 

Matt Barkley came in for Allen against the Patriots and played around ten min of the 4th QTR. In that time he threw an INT, he was sacked, he fumbled, called for a penalty because of a delay of game because he didn't get the play off in time. The Bills line also was called for a false start...so its not just on Josh Allen. 

As to the frustration in why Beasley slammed his helmet, its easy, because they just didn't connect on that third down play. Josh was hitting the deep ball a lot last season and he is not hitting them this year. Lots of QBs have misses now and again. Allen currently has a 62.4 completion percentage and Brown is the second most targeted with the better completion percentage. 73.3 vs 65.2 Beasley is the more targeted receiver with the lesser completion percentage despite that he might get more separation. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

It's been widely reported that the team is looking for another receiver and were in talks with Denver about Emmanuel Sanders who ended up in SF. So, if Brandon Beane was happy with all that separation the current receivers are getting, why would he be looking for another WR? 

Matt Barkley came in for Allen against the Patriots and played around ten min of the 4th QTR. In that time he threw an INT, he was sacked, he fumbled, called for a penalty because of a delay of game because he didn't get the play off in time. The Bills line also was called for a false start...so its not just on Josh Allen. 

As to the frustration in why Beasley slammed his helmet, its easy, because they just didn't connect on that third down play. Josh was hitting the deep ball a lot last season and he is not hitting them this year. Lots of QBs have misses now and again. Allen currently has a 62.4 completion percentage and Brown is the second most targeted with the better completion percentage. 73.3 vs 65.2 Beasley is the more targeted receiver with the lesser completion percentage despite that he might get more separation. 

Have you seen the trows to Beasley??? 

I don't think Allen has hit him in stride all season.   Every damn pass Beasley is diving all over the ground to catch. 

It wasn't  "widely reported" Buffalo was looking for a Wr.  If the were, it would be a big monster who open when he's not and can out muscle Dbs to make catches from an inaccurate Allen. 

Its common knowledge our receivers have been called "the smurfs."

They are doing everything they can to make him better, but its obvious its not panning out very well. 

There is no signs of life out of Allen and he's a turnover machine. 

Im not ready to pull the plug, but im deeply concerned and discouraged with his play.  He's playing no where near franchise caliber, nor is he showing flashes of it. 

Allen says the right things, does the right things in the community, and no doubt works his ass off, but he is really, really far off anything resembling a franchise guy or superstar. 

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

How much more proof do you need to see to understand that although Allen has a great arm, that is he is still very raw and developing as he plays. Clearly, he should NOT come out throwing and be the focal point of the offensive scheme at the start. He is not an elite starting QB just yet. 

First off, most every draft pundit stated that Josh Allen was a "project" QB that needed to sit and learn for a year. Instead he was thrown into the fray in the very first game because this coaching staff miss judged the starter in Nathan Peterman.  You yourself stated you thought Allen was graded as a third round pick and needed time to develop. 

Plus, the Bills don't have that "go to" receiver that is always open, always getting separation! Not at the WR position or the TE position. Or, the pass play designs are not allowing the receivers to find those open lanes. Some have been, but mostly not.

I go back to that first drive in the second half of the Miami game in which the offense came out running with four straight runs and ended a 98 yard TD drive with 6 passes, 6 runs and Josh going 6 for 6 passing. That drive was also marred by a -10 yard holding penalty on Buffalo, which they overcame. 

You may see Josh as a QB that needs to throw from the start to find rhythm.  I think he needs to realize the onus isn't on him to make all the offensive plays from the start and thus is calmer, more settled down as he plays. He didn't start the second half of that Miami game by slinging it all over as the Bills came out running, found success and allowed Josh to get into a rhythm quickly because he wasn't being forced to carry the offense. 

What we are seeing is the reason as to why Brian Daboll has never fielded a passing offense better then 23th in yards in a season out of five seasons as an NFL OC. Most of the time his offenses have been near last. He's just not that good. 

If we tried it for a game you would see my point. Josh would look like *****. It isn't who he is. In fact the first two drives yesterday we DID come out and try to establish the run like it was the 1970s and then ask Josh to make one throw per set of downs. He completed a check down to Smith and held the ball too long and took a bad sack on the other. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Nothing funny about it. 

No he wouldn't be, he doesn't catch it when it hits his hands

• Like (+1) 2

IMO its the offense as a whole.  Including Dabol.  Everyone that has anything to do with the offensive side of the ball is the reason the offense is so bad.  It's not just Allen.  Its everyone.  Except for maybe Brown.  He has been our best pickup this off season.

As for the defense.  Someone found something to exploit because it has been swiss cheese for two weeks now.  I thought it was just Milano being out against Miami, but that isn't the case.  There is a hole in our D and it has been exploited.