Is Tremaine Edmunds the answer at MLB?

KOKO NFL

36 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Luke Kuechly was DROY in his first season, and then DPOY, 1st team All-Pro in year two. 

Why are you naming one player like that is the norm?

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Of god. Will the “he’s only insert age here” excuse ever end? What’s the cut off?

There is actually no reason to do that?   He is improved over last year.....has been solid in most games this year.....I would say he is a player that actually makes this great defense work.

He isnt London Fletcher....London would have also gotten torched in pass defense the way we use him.....he isnt a "stick your nose in a beehive" linebacker....he is an incredible athlete that is still figuring out run support at times.....he is also making a lot of plays.

I dont see a reason to even defend him our team lost today

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s too often lost and easily taken out of plays. He was getting mauled in the run game. Absolutely destroyed.... They don’t have a choice at this point but if the inconsistencies continue they should be actively pursuing a MLB in the offseason. 

Your not listening....

THIS IS WHAT THEY WANT AT MLB.......a extremely long athletic can cover animal that does things other ILBs cannot do....its a passing league and in most games teams dont pass on us.   They are not going to change him out when the defense is for the most part playing dominantly.

If you want to complain that we are not scoring enough points to win games right now Im with you.....but the problem of this team is not Edmunds

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

There is actually no reason to do that?   He is improved over last year.....has been solid in most games this year.....I would say he is a player that actually makes this great defense work.

He isnt London Fletcher....London would have also gotten torched in pass defense the way we use him.....he isnt a "stick your nose in a beehive" linebacker....he is an incredible athlete that is still figuring out run support at times.....he is also making a lot of plays.

That is the player that Edmunds is supposed to be. 

7 hours ago, KOKO NFL said:

I've heard all the talk that our second year MLB is a physical freak with size and speed. My eyes, however, tell me he's not tough or instinctive enough to be a good MLB, let alone a great one. IMO Beane and McDermott need to take a serious look at this position in the off season and upgrade. Perhaps Edmonds is better suited for OLB? Fans can speculate but only the coaching staff can make an educated guess. So... is Tremaine Edmunds the answer at MLB?

i agree...i dont see the instinct

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Says who?

Well McD was running the defense in Carolina when Kuechly was drafted, who was an incredible athlete prior to be drafted, who was also drafted in the first round, who also played MLB in the same defense that we play, and also had the same run and pass coverage responsibilities. 

The phrase “he’s our Kuechly” has been written here no less than 100 times.

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

London Fletcher got a million tackles per game...unfortunately after a big gain by the runner

1 minute ago, Tcali said:

London Fletcher got a million tackles per game...unfortunately after a big gain by the runner

Yeah I was still a big fan of London Fletcher.....I know he got dragged often.

But I think if Edmunds played like Fletch in run support they would be happier......London Fletcher was not a freak athlete like Edmunds...he was just a instinctual football player

Allen and Edmunds are just good enough to hold us back for a few years because they were 1st rounders that we spent a lot of capital on. This regime will sink with them rather than let them go. Their situation is similar to Tannehill's when he was a fish. He played just well enough to stick around, but kept the team from being a serious threat. It's starting to look like Oliver could fit the same mold. Beane just can't get those 1st round picks right and that spells disaster for a GM. You've got to get those high picks right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Yes right,  most 20 year olds just jump right in and make the Pro Bowl at MLB.  

Sarcasm. I get it, but LB's seldom take time to develop. Just ask Leonard and Vander Esche. Let's just hope that proverbial light comes on, but it definitely should have by now.

Imo, there are two things that are hallmarks of NFL middle libebackers:

1.  Instincts

2.  Edginess 

When I watch Edmunds, I do not see an instinctual linebacker that plays with an edge.  I'm not sure how you grow into either of those things, but otherwise the talent is undeniable.  

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 2

Yes

Just needs to work on run defense in practice.

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Sarcasm. I get it, but LB's seldom take time to develop. Just ask Leonard and Vander Esche. Let's just hope that proverbial light comes on, but it definitely should have by now.

Vander Esch was my boy, really wanted him. Edmunds will be fine and has played well for us and even great in some games, he's still young and will continue to improve.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Allen and Edmunds are just good enough to hold us back for a few years because they were 1st rounders that we spent a lot of capital on. This regime will sink with them rather than let them go. Their situation is similar to Tannehill's when he was a fish. He played just well enough to stick around, but kept the team from being a serious threat. It's starting to look like Oliver could fit the same mold. Beane just can't get those 1st round picks right and that spells disaster for a GM. You've got to get those high picks right.

Right... but literally 2 days ago we were praising all of these people for the opposite of everything you just said in this post.

Im just saying the truth is somewhere in between.

11 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I think Edmunds could be a generational talent as a Sam, but think he’s a square peg in a round hole at the Mike.

Careful...I suggested this idea before the season and was told by a mod that I knew nothing in comparison to the coaching staff and should shut my mouth about it.

• Haha (+1) 1

To quote the infamous Aaron Rodgers ... R-E-L-A-X ... rated 12th among 70 linebacker .. I'll take it.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-rankings-top-25-second-year-nfl-players-week-7-2019

8. LB Tremaine Edmunds, Buffalo Bills

At the time that Edmunds was drafted, he was just 19 years old. That youth and inexperience showed early in his career, as he stumbled out of the gate with a 47.0 overall grade across his first eight career games. As the season progressed, though, his athleticism and playmaking ability in the middle of the Buffalo defense began to make it apparent that improvement was on the way. Edmunds did, in fact, improve his grade to 70.5 over the second half of the season, and he has carried over that improved play into 2019. His overall grade of 71.1 this season ranks 12th among 70 linebackers with 175 or more defensive snaps, anchoring one of the better defenses in the league.

and for those Vander Esch Lovers

Lastly, Vander Esch has recorded a run-defense grade of 44.4 this season while allowing 243 receiving yards as the primary coverage defender.

Edited by WideRightRevenge
added fact