A lesson learned? It is not all about Defense

40 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Was so tired of being shouted down when I and others say they want to see what the offense has & that 14-10 wins are not sustainable.

This team was 5-1 and I was upset with how they play & the coaching philosophy and today it was on full display. 

5 ugly wins and today no sense of purpose until the third quarter.   The drive to get it to 17-13 was the only time the Bills looked really in-sync.  

I want the Bills to come out wanting to throw for 300+ & score 30+ points.

Been a long time since that was the mindset (yes scored over 40 vs. NYJ & Miami last year)......  

I admit, the "winning" part usually gives me the beer-goggles needed to accept any amount of ugly.

I mean who among us would scoff at a fugly 1 point victory in a SB? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You got that right!  This board will blame anyone and anything except Allen.

Why?  Because they know the QB is by far the most important piece in the whole puzzle, and the thought that Allen isn't what was hoped for is more than your average Bills fan can handle.

Nah, most Bills fans are actually used to it. They can handle it just fine. It’s not that simple though; there was a lot wrong out there today besides the QB. 

Our offense has the pieces to be more dynamic/ aggressive, it’s the offensive theory / game plan that is lacking imo.  Sure wish I could do something about this....

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. The two key moments that lost us this game were one on each side. The fumble by Allen and then when Allen had brought us back down the field and within a score the drive the defense immediately gave up. 

There is a lesson from this game that you need an O that can go score for score and we as yet do not. But the other lesson is once a weakness against the run is out there on tape expect every OC to challenge you on it. The Bills have to fix that because the D has to be the better unit on experience and resources allocated. 

B-I-N-G-O       And this is why I am clamoring for a trade for another WR. We just don’t have enough weapons to compete and 1 more draft likely won’t fix that either. This is the NFL and scoring under 24 won’t win you games against the best teams regularly. But with this loss putting us 2 back of the Pats, I doubt Beane makes any moves of consequence because he knows we are likely not challenging for the division. 

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Why?  Because they know the QB is by far the most important piece in the whole puzzle, and the thought that Allen isn't what was hoped for is more than your average Bills fan can handle.

Well, let’s turn it around on you.  Do you feel that the defense and ST held up their end today, or is pointing out problems there just an Allen-excuse strategy in your view?

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The big debate on this board in 2017 was Mahomes v Watson.  Unbelievably, the Bills, at pick 10, had a shot at both and selected neither.

Will haunt us for at least the next decade.

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Our offense has the pieces to be more dynamic/ aggressive, it’s the offensive theory / game plan that is lacking imo.  Sure wish I could do something about this....

Go Bills!!!

Sorry I don’t think we have the pieces yet. Watch our spread passing plays including that 4th down play. Josh has no one open too often and that’s a big problem. A bad secondary blanketed our WRs today often. It’s not just design. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, let’s turn it around on you.  Do you feel that the defense and ST held up their end today, or is pointing out problems there just an Allen-excuse strategy in your view?

Bills D had a bad day, but the game was wom when the eagles scored 17. The offence has to be able to hold up their end when the d is struggling.

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing on display was poor team effort in all 3 phases. 

Special teams - missed field goal and blocked extra point.

Defense -  gave up over 200 yards on the ground and unable to get off the field on 3rd.

Offense - Josh Allen giving the ball away on our own doorstep, 3 fumbles, missed open Wr's all over the field and poor offensive execution as a whole.

All three phases were bad...all three phases contributed to the loss.

The Eagles were a desperate team, desperate for a win.  Wounded teams are dangerous teams, period.

Furthermore they attacked the same spots on defense that Miami exploited last week.  Levi is bad..period, and has been exposed.

This was just a bad game all around...blame is everywhere.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep waiting for those to tell me.....  "I don't care about the offense or watching an exciting/enjoyable game......  All I want is a win and 10-7 is perfectly fine".....

Look at what most folks are telling you in this thread.  They are happy with how things are.  I guess they will be happy about a wildcard playoff loss and that 10-7 record you mention, too.  That's exactly what we are on pace for.  

You would think this board would want more, but apparently it doesn't!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

D was a problem today, without question. The offense was gifted a fumble recovery deep in PHL territory and couldn’t do anything. That was the beginning of the end of this game. Totally different after that. They just couldn’t hang and the D was gashed, then gassed. 

I said earlier this year that this "good" defense will not be able to sustain this all year. The lack of consistency on offense will eventually break down the D. It started last week and got worse today.  We're not blowing out the Redskins. It will be close, low scoring and again Dumbell will struggle with play selection. I can easily see McB replace Daboll after the season. This so called Belichick disciple is a fail.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Was so tired of being shouted down when I and others say they want to see what the offense has & that 14-10 wins are not sustainable.

This team was 5-1 and I was upset with how they play & the coaching philosophy and today it was on full display. 

5 ugly wins and today no sense of purpose until the third quarter.   The drive to get it to 17-13 was the only time the Bills looked really in-sync.  

I want the Bills to come out wanting to throw for 300+ & score 30+ points.

Been a long time since that was the mindset (yes scored over 40 vs. NYJ & Miami last year)......  

Can’t do it with Josh as QB.  I feel like it is the EJ experiment all over.  Let’s go trade for a receiver and that will help.  Not.  

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Look at what most folks are telling you in this thread.  They are happy with how things are.  I guess they will be happy about a wildcard playoff loss and that 10-7 record you mention, too.  That's exactly what we are on pace for.  

You would think this board would want more, but apparently it doesn't!

That might be all they can do this year.  Everyone would want and undefeated Super Bowl season but......................

reality.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I said earlier this year that this "good" defense will not be able to sustain this all year. The lack of consistency on offense will eventually break down the D. It started last week and got worse today.  We're not blowing out the Redskins. It will be close, low scoring and again Dumbell will struggle with play selection. I can easily see McB replace Daboll after the season. This so called Belichick disciple is a fail.

Definitely could happen. I don’t see a big breakthrough where they start to get better results. Nip and tuck games all season looks probable. 

28 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

Win 10 or 11?  Against who.  They beat the Redskins, Dolphins, and Jets, and likely the Broncos.

Are they winning on the road against Cleveland, Dallas, Pittsburgh or New England. Or at home against the Ravens?   I don't see it.  9 wins.

28 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

In 2019 you do not keep teams to 0-14 pts for 16 weeks. Once you can accept how football is played in 2019 we can get somewhere. 

27 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You can not win in this league thinking 14-10 will do it, which is how the coaching staff play calls..... 

3 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

Can’t do it with Josh as QB.  I feel like it is the EJ experiment all over.  Let’s go trade for a receiver and that will help.  Not.  

Some folks get it around here.  Not many, but at least a few do.

• Like (+1) 1