A lesson learned? It is not all about Defense

17 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The Bills have an a excellent defense that had a bad day.

Hell, the 85 Bears even had a couple off days.

The offense looks putrid. That’s the storyline.

Is that your storyline that you wish to discuss and defend?

24 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The offense needs to start pulling their weight.  You can't expect the defense to be lights out for the full 60 minutes.

Lights out, no.  But our D couldn’t get out of their own way today.

• Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Bills Defense is good, not great and this continual play it close to the vest and between the 20's eventually is exposed.  And vs. a 3-4 team at home.

Lot's of lessons learned and hope the Coaching Staff has some answers.  

Luckily the next 4 games are all very winnable.  

This game is just more data suggesting we are still right on track...

...to make the playoffs as a wildcard team, but then lose the first game.

That's as far as this QB/offense will take us.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s not all about defense, but I’m really not sure that’s the lesson I take watching this game.

Our D got gashed badly.  Blown out.

If you want to win against any decent team you have got to be able to stop the run up the middle on D

If you want to win against any decent team you have GOT to be able to get off the field any time you have them pinned 3rd and >10

Agree. The two key moments that lost us this game were one on each side. The fumble by Allen and then when Allen had brought us back down the field and within a score the drive the defense immediately gave up. 

There is a lesson from this game that you need an O that can go score for score and we as yet do not. But the other lesson is once a weakness against the run is out there on tape expect every OC to challenge you on it. The Bills have to fix that because the D has to be the better unit on experience and resources allocated. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

They were great, then after the bye week, they became sloppy. In this case, having a great defense ended up being a detriment. Daboll relied too much on our D, and today we paid for it

Dumbell's entire job is based on how well our defense plays. His offense is too complicated andhis plays take way too long to develop. He continues to shove the JA designed runs down our throats. Even at the risk of injury or fumbles. He's never taking this offense to the next level and he's wasting precious time in Josh's development. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. The two key moments that lost us this game were one on each side. The fumble by Allen and then when Allen had brought us back down the field and within a score the drive the defense immediately gave up. 

There is a lesson from this game that you need an O that can go score for score and we as yet do not. But the other lesson is once a weakness against the run is out there on tape expect every OC to challenge you on it. The Bills have to fix that because the D has to be the better unit on experience and resources allocated. 

Agree back atcha.  But add a third:  while we had some ineffective play from our O, that 8 1/2 minute drive we gave up in the 4th was a back breaker.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Dumbell's entire job is based on how well our defense plays. His offense is too complicated andhis plays take way too long to develop. He continues to shove the JA designed runs down our throats. Even at the risk of injury or fumbles. He's never taking this offense to the next level and he's wasting precious time in Josh's development. 

That designed run garbage makes zero sense. They talked about having Allen run less and pass more  all offseason, and then this crap starts back up. It's almost like Daboll has no clue what to call and just falls back on a designed QB run

The Offense needs to play with a purpose.  They don't.

The Bills need to see what they have in Josh Allen & play with purpose to score 30 points.  

They don't, were down and when they needed a stop didn't get it and then looked completely lost, which is pretty much what I expected seeing McClappy's offensive coaching philosophy.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree back atcha.  But add a third:  while we had some ineffective play from our O, that 8 1/2 minute drive we gave up in the 4th was a back breaker.

I think the will wad broken and the bodies were tired by that stage. I almost had given up the game. The drives when it still mattered hurt much more. 

I don't really put today on Allen but it was noticeable that he was less effective once the Eagles knew we had to pass to try and get back in the game. 

I dunno. I feel pretty down on the team as a whole after that. There was a way to lose that game that I would still have found some encouragement in. That was not, however, the way the Bills lost. They are going to get a licking from the talking heads this week and Bills fans should not feel offended by that. It is deserved. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the will wad broken and the bodies were tired by that stage. I almost had given up the game. The drives when it still mattered hurt much more. 

I don't really put today on Allen but it was noticeable that he was less effective once the Eagles knew we had to pass to try and get back in the game. 

I dunno. I feel pretty down on the team as a whole after that. There was a way to lose that game that I would still have found some encouragement in. That was not, however, the way the Bills lost. They are going to get a licking from the talking heads this week and Bills fans should not feel offended by that. It is deserved. 

If their will was broken and their bodies tired by that stage, then we really aren’t all that good on defense after all.  That is a place where a legit top D has got to dig deep, make the stop, and give their offense a chance to get back in it.  

45 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

. Daboll relied too much on our D, and today we paid for it

Right? Ya know, him being the OC and all, Daboll might want to rely on the other side of the ball—maybe the side for which he’s responsible.

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

Average. Their stats will even out to show that.

Possibly below average.  Not encouraging.

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This game is just more data suggesting we are still right on track...

...to make the playoffs as a wildcard team, but then lose the first game.

That's as far as this QB/offense will take us.

Or the D right?  Pretty obvious the D blew the game today and almost lost to Miami last week.  Allen isn't the problem.  Ironically, right now the D is.

Was so tired of being shouted down when I and others say they want to see what the offense has & that 14-10 wins are not sustainable.

This team was 5-1 and I was upset with how they play & the coaching philosophy and today it was on full display. 

5 ugly wins and today no sense of purpose until the third quarter.   The drive to get it to 17-13 was the only time the Bills looked really in-sync.  

I want the Bills to come out wanting to throw for 300+ & score 30+ points.

Been a long time since that was the mindset (yes scored over 40 vs. NYJ & Miami last year)......  

• Like (+1) 2