Bills 13, Eagles 31 postgame thread

Bills defense gave up way to many rushing yards and allowed several 3rd down and long conversions.  Philly played a good game, which I expected.  

Bills offense managed only 53 rushing yards for Gore and Singletary combined (Philly 218 rushing).   A couple diff drives the first play was a dropped pass.  Allen played poorly in the 2nd half but by then the Eagles were containing him pretty well and they didn't have to worry much about the run.  Bills should have been much more aggressive after halftime.  I did not see that many open receivers.  They just don't get a lot of separation.  There were also several plays that seemed to go awry and Allen ended up throwing the ball away.  Not sure whats up with those.  Even when the Bills were down 31-13 their still running 5 yard pass plays and seemed content to punt.  Bills didn't have any urgency in this game.  

Eagles got pasted last week by Dallas and played good this week.  Thats sort of the nature in the NFL.  Can't be to worried about who you beat or lost to, but how you played.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

We were due for this.  The better talented team won today.  As stated, we have been fortunate with our schedule.  

We will see what the staff and players are made of.  They need to rebound.  

We are about were I expected us to be.  5-2 is a good situation fir Buffalo.  

My concerns are:

1. Daboll play calling and Allen not getting passing yards against a very poor backfield.  

2. Inability to adapt to weather and wind at home.  Very unBills-like. They need to make this an advantage.  

3. Defense against the run

4. Poor special teams. 

Need to move on and get a W next week. 

Thanks for your rational post Bob!

Plenty of blame to spread around in this home loss.  I'd add OL (both run and pass protect) is less than average at best.

Penalties still an issue.

Guys got a lot of work to do.  Get back on track with a Win against WASH will help.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

What I don't get... they don't want Josh running with it. They don't want him fumbling it away.   So why keep calling the QB sweep in critical situations?  Why not give it to the HOF, sure handed RB you signed?   It makes no sense to me. 

That was a ######ed play call.

Basically we saw what will happen if the defense has an off day...we have trouble winning because we can't score enough points.

A little concerned with two sluggish performances post bye even with Milano in today who made some outstanding plays...

10 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Agreed! Perfect assessment. Dabol's inadequate scheme has been exposed but with the wins people are less willing to call him out. Now they will. I am sick of winning ugly!!! Need an offense that can create points with designed plays not scrambles and improvisions. 

He has no confidence in his running backs - you don't put added pressure on a young QB by making him run the damn football so many times.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I get the temptation, but Dabol is doing it too much and defenses know it.

Exactly.   That's the type of play you pull out once every few weeks.  Not several times a game.    Just pitch it to Gore and let him get the 2 yrds. That's his job. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

95 % of the people here said this was a LOSS a month ago.

Schwartz is a very good coach.

The Eagles have been a good 3rd QRT team. They showed us the stats how many times? 

Wentz is a good QB.

The Bills are still 5-2 and still hold the WC spot. 

The loss sucked but this isn’t the end all. 

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

i feel like every time the Bills run game gets a little momentum and the O line gets a few good run plays going, Daboll overthinks it, takes Gore out and goes spread formation

It seems like he just uses the run to set upbthr pass.   Once we have some success on the ground, he goes tote passing game and abandons the run.

4 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Wanted it a bit more maybe, have to tip your hat to their defensive line depth too. Had some injuries up front and their backups played well and had our offensive line on their heels for most of the day.

Hopefully Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills learned something today.

The 4th quarter heroics after a bad 3 quarters is not always going to be there to save you.

So how about after a few good Gore runs he stays in the game and if we wanna pass we use play action please. seems like he always comes out we go shotgun and spread the field. Im seeing alot of obvious tendencies with this offense lately. please no more designed QB sweeps and teams have caught on to the jet sweep drop pass play. And we may wanna work on our screen game a bit. If im noticing these tendencies surely pro defensive coordinators are. 

This was a total team defeat from Allen to the D , the STs and the coaches. They were simply outclassed in all areas. I had a bad feeling going into this game as Philly isn't as bad as their record and they have a great coaching staff. Some things that stood out for me or stunk out for me was Daboll's game plan. The guy thinks he is  just too clever and is stubborn about adjusting when things are failing. So many plays on the offense were ill advised. The pressure today was relentless so why hardly any? screens? I think the Eagles D just wasn't tested at all. Allen was mediocre at best, awful at worst. 3 fumbles and on the most important drive of the game down 24-13 was wildly inaccurate.  I don't fault Hauschka for the missed FG but the blocked PAT was unforgivable by our STs unit. The STs this year have actually gotten worse. The final turd served up was by our O line who was overwhelmed by Phillys D line and committed so many unforced errors.  Not to be outdone by the pathetic offense, the D had their worse game of the season. With error after error. So many Philly series could have been snuffed out with some clutch tackles but Wentz again and again was allowed to squirm away. The icing on the cake for this gut punch defeat was the absolute multitude of Philly fans whooping it up in our house. Embarrassing game in all aspects.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That was a ######ed play call.

Yep.  Too many.... wtf play calls.   We're running the ball well. So what do they do to start the 4th quarter?  3 consecutive passes. It's like Daboll just gets too cute and out thinks everyone several times a game. 

Other thing it would be nice to see... a dang WR fight for the ball and make a tough catch.  

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Hopefully Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills learned something today.

The 4th quarter heroics after a bad 3 quarters is not always going to be there to save you.

Yes.  It would be nice to see 4 quarters of sold football. 

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

95 % of the people here said this was a LOSS a month ago.

Schwartz is a very good coach.

The Eagles have been a good 3rd QRT team. They showed us the stats how many times? 

Wentz is a good QB.

The Bills are still 5-2 and still hold the WC spot. 

The loss sucked but this isn’t the end all. 

Go Bills

I completely agree.  It's by no means the end. My criticisms here are just to point out things we need to fix going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1