Tre White - a keeper

The lead of today's TBN article sums him up well. "Honestly, I don’t think I’ll be validated until the end of my career,” White said. “You can’t measure the success of a defensive back three years into his career. You’ve got to wait on down the line. Because it’s a year-to-year thing with defensive backs, so you’ve got to come out with your A game each and every year.”

This guy is everything; enthusiastic, confident yet humble, extremely talented with a serious self-critical focus. I don't usually enjoy the commitment of big contracts, but I am looking forward to Tre getting paid and being a Bills for a very long time.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tre has  been an elite shut-down corner since he entered the league. If there was one weakness  the past two years, it was that he didnt get his hands on the ball enough. This season, he will likely set a personal record for INTs. I think you can safely add "Ball Hawk" to "Shut-Down Corner" now. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

If there was an expansion draft tomorrow and the new team could pick one player from all 32 NFL rosters with no protections that new team would pick Tre White. He is right there in elite company. He is the only player on this team of whom that is true as we sit here today. 

• Like (+1) 2

Here are White's interception stats relative to draft peers. Notice his steady improvement year to year - while his peers are the same or have become worse

College Games INTs Games per INTs NFL first two seasons INTs Games per INTs NFL this season INTs Games per INTs
White 48 6 8.00 32 6 5.33 6 3 2.00
Humphrey 29 5 5.80 30 4 7.50 7 2 3.50
Lattimore 16 4 4.00 29 7 4.14 7 1 7.00
Jones 40 8 5.00 10 0 - 5 1 5.00
Wilson 39 6 6.50 20 2 10.00 6 0 -
Conley 35 6 5.83 17 3 5.67 6 1 6.00
Tabor 37 8 4.63 22 0 - 0 0 -

It was a travesty that he did not make the Pro bowl last year. This year even his worst critic cant keep him away.

17 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Here are White's interception stats relative to draft peers. Notice his steady improvement year to year - while his peers are the same or have become worse

College Games INTs Games per INTs NFL first two seasons INTs Games per INTs NFL this season INTs Games per INTs
White 48 6 8.00 32 6 5.33 6 3 2.00
Humphrey 29 5 5.80 30 4 7.50 7 2 3.50
Lattimore 16 4 4.00 29 7 4.14 7 1 7.00
Jones 40 8 5.00 10 0 - 5 1 5.00
Wilson 39 6 6.50 20 2 10.00 6 0 -
Conley 35 6 5.83 17 3 5.67 6 1 6.00
Tabor 37 8 4.63 22 0 - 0 0 -

It was a travesty that he did not make the Pro bowl last year. This year even his worst critic cant keep him away.

And those top 3 are all in the top 10 in the NFL at the position. It was an outstanding class of DBs. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Not only that, he seems to be a terrific guy. We’ve had some awesome players over the years and you know they are just focused on getting the next big contract with another team. I don’t see that with White. He’s a high character guy. 

I’m not sure that they focus on a big contract “elsewhere.” They focus on a big contract “anywhere.” Guys aren’t just trying to get out of Buffalo. They are trying to get paid. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tre is ELITE. His game has no holes and he is a high character guy. He’s one of the best players in football.

Buffalo's former CB Stephon Gilmore, now with the Patriots, is arguably the best DB in the game. In my opinion TW isn't as good as Gilmore but he is in the same elite echelon. Where I would give Tre the advantage is his ability to tackle. Gilmore is less willing to mix it up. As good as Gilmore is Tre White is more suited to a McDermott defense because he is more willing to come up and make a tackle. Gilmore was inclined to shy away from that form of physicality. 

There are some nice people (NYC Bill) who don't value the DB position as much as they should. When you have an elite CB you have a prized possession. They also can be costly. 

• Like (+1) 1