Josh Allen fined for throwing ball into stands

YoloinOhio

Just now, Braedenstearns said:

Wondering the same thing 

14 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Does a player get fined when they keep the ball after s touchdown?  Or if they give the football to someone in the stands?

No. There’s no brouhaha for a ball given specifically to one person. Heave a ball into the crowd? Someone’s gonna get hurt.

21 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

All of the NFL sucks in this thread is hilarious. As noted, it’s the rule, “always” has been.

Why?

Fights/injuries in the stands.

Finite # of balls/team/game. I’d have to go back to deflategate to get the number of balls each team prepares before a game. 7? 10? Might seem like a lot, but not in a bad weather game.

Because of deflategate I believe that the balls need to be made available to the refs post game.  

Maybe Josh tossed an under inflated ball into the stands?

But this gets back to the question:  If a player keeps a ball because it represents a personal milestone, does he get fined?  What about if he just flips the ball into the stands?

10 hours ago, judman said:

Can Newton and the Panthers players are always putting footballs into the stands.  Are they fined?

Tossing a ball to a fan in the front row is acceptable but not launching it 3-4s of the way out of the stadium. 

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

All of the NFL sucks in this thread is hilarious. As noted, it’s the rule, “always” has been.

Why?

Fights/injuries in the stands.

Finite # of balls/team/game. I’d have to go back to deflategate to get the number of balls each team prepares before a game. 7? 10? Might seem like a lot, but not in a bad weather game.

Because of deflategate I believe that the balls need to be made available to the refs post game.  

Maybe Josh tossed an under inflated ball into the stands?

way to underestimate there buuudy 

In an NFL game, each club must provide 24 game balls for inspection two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff.

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....yup....this will show 'em....14 grand for wearing capris?.....seriously?......SMH.....

Odell Beckham fined $14K for wearing pants above knees

See, this is where I don't think players can possibly take a big fine for an illegal or dangerous hit seriously.

If you're fined similar amounts for a helmet-to-helmet hit or kneecapping a guy as for wearing your pants wrong, who could take it seriously?

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See, this is where I don't think players can possibly take a big fine for an illegal or dangerous hit seriously.

If you're fined similar amounts for a helmet-to-helmet hit or kneecapping a guy as for wearing your pants wrong, who could take it seriously?

Poor instance. OBJ knew he was breaking league rules. That’s WHY he does crap like that.

19 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Tossing a ball to a fan in the front row is acceptable but not launching it 3-4s of the way out of the stadium. 

way to underestimate there buuudy 

In an NFL game, each club must provide 24 game balls for inspection two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff.

Point stands buuuuuuudy. 24 is in fact a finite amount.

and, of the 24 twelve are designated primary, 12 backup.

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But this gets back to the question:  If a player keeps a ball because it represents a personal milestone, does he get fined?  What about if he just flips the ball into the stands?

Flips into the stands...yes.

Ignoring the other reasons given, I suppose that if said keepsake player refused to make the ball available for play (the other 11 primary balls were kaput) then he’d be fined.  I stress suppose, because WTHK?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Players are permitted to hand footballs to fans but not to throw them because of safety reasons. The NFL worries about potential crowd control issues from balls tossed into the stands."

Fines aren't arbitrary--every player is given a well defined list of fineable infractions and the set schedule of fines for each.  They each have agreed to this.  Every player should already be aware he will be fined if he throws the ball into the crowd.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Players are permitted to hand footballs to fans but not to throw them because of safety reasons. The NFL worries about potential crowd control issues from balls tossed into the stands."

Fines aren't arbitrary--every player is given a well defined list of fineable infractions and the set schedule of fines for each.  They each have agreed to this.  Every player should already be aware he will be fined if he throws the ball into the crowd.

Certainly Josh's presser and things he said previously made it seem like he knew what would go down.  But it does seem as though players sometimes toss balls into the stands and we don't hear about fines for it.  I take the point that a little flip vs being on the pointy end of a Josh Allen bullet would be justly seen as different.

• Like (+1) 1

Starting in 2012, fine minimums will increase by 5 percent each year as stipulated in the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement. The increases continue throughout the duration of the current CBA.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/nfl-rules-enforcement/fines-appeals/

Damn!  Don't put your hands on a ref!  First offense is $35K!!

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Starting in 2012, fine minimums will increase by 5 percent each year as stipulated in the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement. The increases continue throughout the duration of the current CBA.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/nfl-rules-enforcement/fines-appeals/

Damn!  Don't put your hands on a ref!  First offense is $35K!!

Brady and Belicheat do that every game. 

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....yup....this will show 'em....14 grand for wearing capris?.....seriously?......SMH.....

Odell Beckham fined $14K for wearing pants above knees

By Jeremy Bergman

Around The NFL Writer

Published: Oct. 22, 2019 at 12:38 a.m.

Updated: Oct. 22, 2019 at 12:51 a.m.

On Monday night, Odell Beckham Jr. made headlines for a hemline.

The Cleveland Browns receiver posted a photo on Instagram of a fine letter sent to him by the NFL for a uniform violation. The letters notes that OBJ was fined $14,037 because, during Cleveland's Week 6 loss to Seattle on Oct. 13, Beckham's "pants failed to cover the knee area."

The letter reads, in part: "Rule 5, Section 4, Article 3, Item (4) of the 2019 Official Playing Rules of the National Football League states that pants must be worn over the entire knee area; pants shortened or rolled up to meet the stocking above the knee are prohibited."

Beckham called the fine "ridiculous", noting the pants regulation is "NOT gonna protect me from anything."

This is not OBJ's first run-in with NFL officials this season. Beckham was fined $14,000 for unsportsmanlike conduct stemming from his much-publicized dustup with Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey in Week 4. He was also briefly removed from Cleveland's Week 2 win over the Jets because he was wearing an unregulated visor.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001068452/article/odell-beckham-fined-14k-for-wearing-pants-above-knees

Beckham got dinged for $14K because it was his second uniform violation.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Beckham got dinged for $14K because it was his second uniform violation.

....yup...I know...BUT....still ridiculous BS.....can't get effin' officiating right but they're worried about visors and capris?....seriously?...SMH.......