How old is too old to get in a fight?

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It’s just not my style. Besides, you never know which nut job has a knife or a gun. I’m not even going berserk in Atlanta traffic. There be CRAZY out there! 

That's why I'm always the guy with the sword cane.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Just thought of a situation I witnessed a long time ago.  I went to a Syracuse vs Auburn football game at the Carrier Dome.  Auburn had a huge following, and I think they were coming into the game ranked in the top 10.

Anyway, Syracuse upset them and beat them handily.  We were walking out after the game, and this Auburn fan (young, huge dude) ran by us screaming “F Syracuse!!”  “I can’t wait to get out of this scumbag city with all these low life people!!”  Something to that effect.

This older couple (40’s) was walking in front of us, and the wife yelled to the guy “go home!”  This dude, who must have been 6’4” 235, stopped in his tracks, walked up to the couple, and booted the woman right in her lady parts.  She dropped like a ton of bricks screaming and crying, the husband just stood there in shock, and the Auburn fan scampered away.  I will never forget that.  

If the guy was wearing a pretty scarf he might have been Cam Newton.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thebug said:

My wife has big boobs and they are spectacular! If someone grabbed them, I would have no problem knocking that ***** out! 

Congrats!

I’m guessing pics are out of the question? “Spectacular” is a serious claim. Are you familiar with the famous Carl Sagan quote? 

If this offends you in ANY way, please see @Gugny for reparations. 

HEY! YOU brought them up! 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Congrats!

I’m guessing pics are out of the question? “Spectacular” is a serious claim. Are you familiar with the famous Carl Sagan quote? 

Oh, they are spectacular! Sorry, no pics! 

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

Congrats!

9 minutes ago, thebug said:

Oh, they are spectacular! Sorry, no pics! 

I would NEVER ask for pics of Bug's wife!!!!

But I do have a friend who's wondering how much one might cost him.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s just not my style. Besides, you never know which nut job has a knife or a gun. I’m not even going berserk in Atlanta traffic. There be CRAZY out there! 

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Three examples come to mind- friend of mine got into a fight outside a Hard Rock Cafe. Punched the guy in his face, slipped on the sidewalk, fell backwards and hit his head on the curb. Suffered a brain hemorrhage and fell into a coma for 2 weeks. This guy was a trained MMA type guy, very comfortable in a fight.

Second buddy in college, big strong dude, hit a fellow at a bar in the mouth. Knocked him out cold and ended up with a piece of the guy's tooth buried in his knuckles. Got infected, had to have multiple surgeries, and ended up with a choice between paying off the hospital bill or the civil suit the other guy filed.

Third wasn't a friend, but a friend of a friend...drunk at a party and got into an altercation with another guy over something not-very-important. Bad guy got into his face, good guy threw a punch, bad guy pulled out a pistol and ended up shooting someone standing next to them in the leg. 

Fistfights just don't end like you see in the movies or whatever, in my experience. Always way more trouble and mess than they're worth. 

This is why you speak softly and carry a

9 mm.

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Just thought of a situation I witnessed a long time ago.  I went to a Syracuse vs Auburn football game at the Carrier Dome.  Auburn had a huge following, and I think they were coming into the game ranked in the top 10.

Anyway, Syracuse upset them and beat them handily.  We were walking out after the game, and this Auburn fan (young, huge dude) ran by us screaming “F Syracuse!!”  “I can’t wait to get out of this scumbag city with all these low life people!!”  Something to that effect.

This older couple (40’s) was walking in front of us, and the wife yelled to the guy “go home!”  This dude, who must have been 6’4” 235, stopped in his tracks, walked up to the couple, and booted the woman right in her lady parts.  She dropped like a ton of bricks screaming and crying, the husband just stood there in shock, and the Auburn fan scampered away.  I will never forget that.  

This is [not the best but still] a good example of a woman unilaterally taking the risk of talking her man into a beating or worse. You gotta nip that ***** quick.

In the story I mentioned before, that girl put my brother in a bad spot. Imagine if when she got in his face, the dude (they had no idea was Gruden) had called her a ¢#@+, or smacked her. Then my brother's in a position where he feels obligated to fight a guy, who we now know is a former pro athlete who's 6'3" 225 lbs., and possibly that guy's friend, who may also be a former pro athlete.

It's hard to size someone up. I have a buddy that doesn't look all that imposing, but he was a professional MMA fighter. I've put a 300+ pounder on his back, and been pinned by a guy who weighed less than half that.

When you're fighting a stranger the stakes are high and you don't know what you're up against. 

All the "I'd knock that guy out" talk is great until you're the guy who gets knocked out ... or stabbed,  shot, or beaten to death. Imagine if the husband in this scenario fights for his loud mouth wife's honor and gets caught. Would you want to be unconscious, defenseless, and at that guy's mercy?

And even if you win you may end up getting arrested and facing misdemeanor, or even felony charges. 

There are exceptions to the rules, and sometimes people find themselves in situations where they have to fight, but it's usually a good idea to avoid it if you can. Especially if a favorable outcome is uncertain. 

Once you have kids there's too much on the line to play Billy Badass.

Edited by Rob's House
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

One thing that I have noticed with age, I look before I walk around a corner.

I think real hard before turning down the chance to pee at a public restroom before getting in the car or on the subway 

• Like (+1) 1