The Mandalorian Season 2 - official trailer [ed title]

Fixxxer

On 12/21/2019 at 2:56 AM, LeGOATski said:

IG-11 is going to come in guns blazing. I assume they programmed it to protect baby Yoda before setting off on their mission. After the ending, I was thinking that it was stupid of the scout troopers to not check the ship before speeding back. But, scout troopers have never been too bright.

IG-11 to the rescue

I loved the opening scene banter between the Scout Troopers

Reasons I don’t really like The Mandalorian. 

- Poor “plot.” Baby Yoda is not much more than a McGuffin; a reason to place the Mandalorian in different settings. 
- Overall the scripts felt like they were made up on the fly by middle school boys. “What next?” “You know what would be cool . . .”

- As many have noted, it’s basically a space western. However, it’s like a dull good guys vs bad guys 1950s tv show. Save the village, prison break, etc. 

- The Mandalorian is a naive idiot. How many times can he be double-crossed?

- Each episode is simplistic. Get into situation, blast your way out of it. How did the characters survive so long without getting killed?
- It was Disney safe without emotion, 2D characters with zero surprises. The worst Star Trek episodes had more depth

- Especially poor when compared Watchman (which blew me away). 

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

Reasons I don’t really like The Mandalorian. 

- Poor “plot.” Baby Yoda is not much more than a McGuffin; a reason to place the Mandalorian in different settings. 
- Overall the scripts felt like they were made up on the fly by middle school boys. “What next?” “You know what would be cool . . .”

- As many have noted, it’s basically a space western. However, it’s like a dull good guys vs bad guys 1950s tv show. Save the village, prison break, etc. 

- The Mandalorian is a naive idiot. How many times can he be double-crossed?

- Each episode is simplistic. Get into situation, blast your way out of it. How did the characters survive so long without getting killed?
- It was Disney safe without emotion, 2D characters with zero surprises. The worst Star Trek episodes had more depth

- Especially poor when compared Watchman (which blew me away). 

I don't entirely disagree with you.

But it was still fun nerdy Sci-Fi

Well okay the one part I disagree with you

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

The worst Star Trek episodes had more depth

Have you ever watched Star Trek Voyager?  There was some good stuff but also some really gawd awful crap

Like dev, I don’t necessarily disagree with the points. But this is the intro material that builds character/s for what will hopefully be a long-running series.

I prefer the simplistic run-down of: Mando is a jaded bounty-hunter in a moral-relativism world who finally faces an ethical quandary.

He must take jobs where he’s putting himself at risk (what you call naivety) because he is now being hunted by his former employer/coworkers and can’t pick and choose. That slaver ship doesn’t run on hopes and dreams.

Baby Yoda is hardly a McGuffin plot device. Mando / Din Jarryn has been tasked with returning BY to his home planet / species. After such a long time of knowing nothing about the Yoda-species, there is now insight and more on the horizon. 

Space western: £#€¥ yeah!!!! Old scores to settle. Desert planets. Shootouts. .... There aren’t that many types of story about justice, which is essentially the question at the heart of SW (light and dark, lawless outer rim and ordered, organized federation) and the quest for a balance. Malcolm Gladwell appeared on Jos Rohan’s podcast recently and they discussed the topic, centered around police procedural dramas but can be extended here... where Gladwell points to four main story types: the Western, The Eastern, the Northern, the Southern. 

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/joe-rogan-and-malcom-gladwell-posed-a-mind-blowing-theory-about-crime-shows.html/

Edited by UConn James

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, UConn James said:

I saw an article the other day that reported that The Child doll cost $5M to make. ?

I heard $4M, and someone compared it to the Jabba puppet which took multiple puppeteers to operate and cost less even when figuring in inflation.....

Although I wonder if it costs more because of animatronics? I would assume this puppet is mostly remote controlled where as the Jabba one while large in size, is controlled by puppeteers?

I really enjoyed it and yeah its basically a old school western with Star Wars trappings.  Compared to Rise of Skywalker its Oscar worthy.  I wish Hollywood would quit hiring JJ Abrams for classic material  .  He's a recycler and its tiresome.  Looking forward to both the Clone wars new season and Obi Wan next year?

40 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I really enjoyed it and yeah its basically a old school western with Star Wars trappings.  Compared to Rise of Skywalker its Oscar worthy.  I wish Hollywood would quit hiring JJ Abrams for classic material  .  He's a recycler and its tiresome.  Looking forward to both the Clone wars new season and Obi Wan next year?

I've got a bad feeling about the Kenobi series.  It's going to be taking an already established character and putting him into some new storyline.  Kinda like the Solo movie

What made Mandelorian and Rogue One so good was they were all new content and new characters in the Star Wars universe.

13 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I've got a bad feeling about the Kenobi series.  It's going to be taking an already established character and putting him into some new storyline.  Kinda like the Solo movie

What made Mandelorian and Rogue One so good was they were all new content and new characters in the Star Wars universe.

Agreed,  it is a concern  .Clone Wars was very good so I hold out hope they can get it right using some of known Kenobi history only as a layout.  I really hope they stay far away from the already told stories.  This last trilogy was soulless regurgitated rubbish  They did not need to redo New Hope for a new audience and alienate the old but they sure did it anyways

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

One good thing about the Kenobi series is that McGregor is still in the role, for continuity's sake anyway. I'm not sure what story they're telling, since so much has already been covered by the animated series. I'm guessing it covers the timeframe of Luke's pre-Kenobi life and there will be cameos of boy Luke. I think an Old Kenobi story is easier to make and receive than a Young Kenobi or Young Han story.

50 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Might be some more bad news about Kenobi, I just read something earlier saying it may have just been scrapped and they aren't going to go through with it.

Ehh that might free them up to do something all new  I like the idea of the main part of the story/characters being all new with minor cameos/easter eggs tying it in.  Less existing continuity to be chained to might make for a more interesting story.  Heck give us a star wars storyline several hundred years before a New Hope

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.