The lose-lose media narrative vs Eagles

15 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

The criticism right now is fair.  Let's face it, the Bills offense is a player short of being considered a contender. They only have scored 121 points and that isn't going to get you very far, no matter how good your defense is. That is 20.2 points per game. You are not beating good teams with this offense.

You are when you have the number 3 defense and if you don’t turn the ball over. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

I'm always baffled by people who care about what the media thinks of the Bills.  Do they have dreams about us getting 5 night games every year and Al Michaels waxing poetic about Josh Allen on SNF?

Mostly we just get completely ignored because of our small market, which is fine by me as long as the Bills keep winning most of their games. 

I'm baffled by the small market talk.  Green Bay and Kansas City are on prime time a lot.  The Bills get ignored because they have been middling-to-bad for a long time.  Super Bowl years they were a fixture on prime time.   If the Bills win consistently, they'll be on prime time again.  If the Bills get a transcendent player that can get them on prime time more as well.

16 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

The criticism right now is fair.  Let's face it, the Bills offense is a player short of being considered a contender. They only have scored 121 points and that isn't going to get you very far, no matter how good your defense is. That is 20.2 points per game. You are not beating good teams with this offense.

The offense is still gelling, as with our still-wet-behind-the ears QB. 

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why do so many people care what the media says?  If we win, we’re 6-1. If we lose, we’re 4-2. That’s all that matters.

I have no idea C.Biscuit. I am adding "media persons unspecified" to my list of people we must hate. 

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That is probably what it would take.  I don’t know if McBeane gives up that much.  But if you figure those are low 1sts, not a bad deal for one of the best pass rushers in the nfl.  I agree that an elite pass rusher would make a very good defense into a great one.  It’s the one thing they are missing. 

I will vomit if the Bills trade two firsts for a 31-year old defender.  Von Miller is nowhere near what he was a few years ago.  At least the Rams traded for a guy who’s in the prime of his career.  It would also mean spending yet more assets spent on an already great defense, while Josh Allen is left high and dry, and we get to watch a bunch of 13-6 football games.

16 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

I'm always baffled by people who care about what the media thinks of the Bills.  Do they have dreams about us getting 5 night games every year and Al Michaels waxing poetic about Josh Allen on SNF?

Mostly we just get completely ignored because of our small market, which is fine by me as long as the Bills keep winning most of their games. 

The media is a powerful tool in shaping public opinion. With the media always drooling over their favorite teams year in and year out, the not-so-subtle message is, "those

other teams just don't matter."

16 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I think the OP is saying that the record isn't speaking for itself like it would for other teams

Rather look back in January and say we HAD an easy schedule.

Tomorrow may be difficult from a weather standpoint.  Hi 62 with rain, but the wind is forecast WSW 24 with gusts to 46.  Not quite snow but where else would we rather be?

1 minute ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Rather look back in January and say we HAD an easy schedule.

Tomorrow may be difficult from a weather standpoint.  Hi 62 with rain, but the wind is forecast WSW 24 with gusts to 46.  Not quite snow but where else would we rather be?

the schedule is what it is and I’m not making any excuses. I guarantee the Pats*** fans don’t give a shite. 

as to the weather. that cuts both ways. 
A look back in LATE January would be awesome 

17 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Anyone who thought it wouldn't take at least a half this season to get this offense gelling was fooling themselves. Personally, I think the offense is on track and is only getting better as the season progresses.

I agree Pokeball and see you’re relatively new to TBD, so welcome.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, benderbender said:

You are what your record says you are. Unless you’re the Buffalo Bills. Then you are what the national media thinks you are: the 52nd ranked media market. It’s quite inconvenient for sports journalists that the 4th largest in Philadelphia to be on the outside looking in not even halfway through the season. 

Based on what I’ve heard from the usual suspects of sports talking heads, the spin has already begun for two possible outcomes on Sunday. Either the Eagles snap out of their funk against outclassed Buffalo pretenders, or the Eagles, their super bowl caliber coach and quarterback beset on all sides by injury, will have a game stolen from them. 

Is it merely pandering to the larger media market for clicks? Residual benefit of the doubt given to a Super Bowl winner two years removed? On paper the Eagles gave good win against the Packers on the road. But they’ve traded away one of the few names in their secondary in Peters who promptly had a pick 6 for his new team the vet next game. And there’s multiple reports about the apparent discord in their locker room.

I just have a hard time seeing the reasoning of so many rolling with a team on a two game losing streak, on the road, in a hostile environment. I’m hoping for a convincing Bills win if only to see the talking heads stammer their way around it next week. 

One way that you can upset that narrative is to completely dominate the Eagles and win by a decisive margin. here's hoping that's what happens on Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

just win .... I don't care if Josh Allen throws 5 interceptions and the Eagles rack up 300 rushing yards .... just win

Well, I care to the effect that 4 INTs would make the win much less likely and would reflect bad field vision or decisions that would bite us later on.

But I take your point.  As I said, if we win, we get the W.  The media and the Eagles can have the "worst 6-1 team in NFL history" moral victory.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

AMEN. Nailed it! If the offense doesn't step it up the Bills lose. Winning ugly only takes you so far. True test this weekend. Put up or shut up! 

i've got a feeling dabol is going to look to take a lot more deeper shots. if we can get good yards on 1st down, we can gamble. this could be one of those games where we make a statement on offense....(see also vs. minn. 2018)

Edited by billsredneck1

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

I do. But what good does it do to pine for a QB who is not on your team?

What's more, a QB who is not on your team, and on IR thus not playing for the team that he's on, either

32 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i've got a feeling dabol is going to look to take a lot more deeper shots. if we can get good yards on 1st down, we can gamble. this could be one of those games where we make a statement on offense....(see also vs. minn. 2018)

Dude.  New Era.  20 mph winds.  They get in there and swirl.

That's a plan where you lose your hat  - and any plan where you lose your hat is a Bad Plan