The lose-lose media narrative vs Eagles

You are what your record says you are. Unless you’re the Buffalo Bills. Then you are what the national media thinks you are: the 52nd ranked media market. It’s quite inconvenient for sports journalists that the 4th largest in Philadelphia to be on the outside looking in not even halfway through the season. 

Based on what I’ve heard from the usual suspects of sports talking heads, the spin has already begun for two possible outcomes on Sunday. Either the Eagles snap out of their funk against outclassed Buffalo pretenders, or the Eagles, their super bowl caliber coach and quarterback beset on all sides by injury, will have a game stolen from them. 

Is it merely pandering to the larger media market for clicks? Residual benefit of the doubt given to a Super Bowl winner two years removed? On paper the Eagles gave good win against the Packers on the road. But they’ve traded away one of the few names in their secondary in Peters who promptly had a pick 6 for his new team the vet next game. And there’s multiple reports about the apparent discord in their locker room.

I just have a hard time seeing the reasoning of so many rolling with a team on a two game losing streak, on the road, in a hostile environment. I’m hoping for a convincing Bills win if only to see the talking heads stammer their way around it next week. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, benderbender said:

You are what your record says you are. Unless you’re the Buffalo Bills. Then you are what the national media thinks you are: the 52nd ranked media market. It’s quite inconvenient for sports journalists that the 4th largest in Philadelphia to be on the outside looking in not even halfway through the season. 

Based on what I’ve heard from the usual suspects of sports talking heads, the spin has already begun for two possible outcomes on Sunday. Either the Eagles snap out of their funk against outclassed Buffalo pretenders, or the Eagles, their super bowl caliber coach and quarterback beset on all sides by injury, will have a game stolen from them. 

Is it merely pandering to the larger media market for clicks? Residual benefit of the doubt given to a Super Bowl winner two years removed? On paper the Eagles gave good win against the Packers on the road. But they’ve traded away one of the few names in their secondary in Peters who promptly had a pick 6 for his new team the vet next game. And there’s multiple reports about the apparent discord in their locker room.

I just have a hard time seeing the reasoning of so many rolling with a team on a two game losing streak, on the road, in a hostile environment. I’m hoping for a convincing Bills win if only to see the talking heads stammer their way around it next week. 

Imagine thinking beating the Eagles but having the media not give us much credit is a “lose” scenario.

Couldn’t be me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The criticism right now is fair.  Let's face it, the Bills offense is a player short of being considered a contender. They only have scored 121 points and that isn't going to get you very far, no matter how good your defense is. That is 20.2 points per game. You are not beating good teams with this offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

The criticism right now is fair.  Let's face it, the Bills offense is a player short of being considered a contender. They only have scored 121 points and that isn't going to get you very far, no matter how good your defense is. That is 20.2 points per game. You are not beating good teams with this offense.

Anyone who thought it wouldn't take at least a half this season to get this offense gelling was fooling themselves. Personally, I think the offense is on track and is only getting better as the season progresses.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm always baffled by people who care about what the media thinks of the Bills.  Do they have dreams about us getting 5 night games every year and Al Michaels waxing poetic about Josh Allen on SNF?

Mostly we just get completely ignored because of our small market, which is fine by me as long as the Bills keep winning most of their games. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

It's been good enough to beat all but one team.  If not for a cheap shot we are likely 6-0 with a win over the SB favorite.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Anyone who thought it wouldn't take at least a half this season to get this offense gelling was fooling themselves. Personally, I think the offense is on track and is only getting better as the season progresses.

On track for what? To be a playoff team or to win a Super Bowl. They are a player away from contending for the entire thing. Without a move to get an AJ Green they are going one and done in the playoffs.  The time is NOW.  Make a move.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Who cares how the media treats us?  Just win, our record will say it all.  For once, we have an easy schedule this year.  

Indeed. I really don't care if the media tries to put the Bills in a bad light. If the Bills lose a lot, they'll deserve the bad angles. If they keep winning, they'll shut them up and most of the media will jump on the bandwagon. Players and coaches control the storyline in the end.

Not worried... unless the Bills lose to the Eagles.

Isn't this what everyone want "Bulletin board material"

Everyone here says "Don't say bad stuff about the Pats b/c they will play harder."

This is good for the Bills means they will play harder b.c no one Billieves in them.

Edited by Boca BIlls

6 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

On track for what? To be a playoff team or to win a Super Bowl. They are a player away from contending for the entire thing. Without a move to get an AJ Green they are going one and done in the playoffs.  The time is NOW.  Make a move.

I hope we dont make a move for AJ Green... Sending future picks for said player will not ensure a SB victory this season or next. 

Keep with the process and build through the draft with low risk trades and unheralded free agent signings.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, ChattanoogaBills said:

I hope we dont make a move for AJ Green... Sending future picks for said player will not ensure a SB victory this season or next. 

Keep with the process and build through the draft with low risk trades and unheralded free agent signings.

He is a free agent next year. You lock him up for a few years and the Bills will contend for a Super Bowl for years to come.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why do so many people care what the media says?  If we win, we’re 6-1. If we lose, we’re 4-2. That’s all that matters.

5-2  :thumbsup:

I agree, talk is cheap, they will decide the outcome come sunday.

but you do have to admit if the eaglets lose it'll be based on a depleted roster with key players out not because the bills are the better team is how they'll spin it. none the less, the best team will win on sunday, lets just hope it's the bills moving on to 6-1.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973