Carucci: Bills are 5-1, but Josh Allen can’t seem to win no matter what he does

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

At the end of it all, I wonder who will be the best in that heralded QB class?  Baker and Sam currently playing poorly. Rosen in no mans land. Lamar and Josh are in front right now. Sam has played well at times - very up and down.

Watch it be the unheralded Kyle Allen. ?‍♂️

6 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

He lost all 4 SB's he ever played in.  Many fans do not look back on those years very fondly due to all the choking, the jokes (Boy I Love Losing Superbowls) etc.

Allen hasn't won anything yet, nor has he even had a great game passing the ball. 

If you’re upset by a joke from 30 years ago, you have issues.  If you’re upset about a poorly crafted (yet humorous) joke crafted by some nudnik that thinks Super Bowl is one word, you have issues and should have paid more attention in grammar school.  Might not be a bad idea to upgrade your friend group as well.  

I don’t know any fans who don’t look on those years fondly, albeit with a deep searing pain directly behind the eyeballs that has faded somewhat over time.  The two are not mutually exclusive.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

6 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..perhaps we know now why they're stuck in "the gallery" with bonafide GM resumes' in hand and the phone ain't ringing off the hook.....certainly creates some great "TBD Theater" with special thanks to "Fisher-Price wi-fi"........

"They" is "us." 

As long as Josh isn't listening to us for advice, that's fine. 

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

At the end of it all, I wonder who will be the best in that heralded QB class?  Baker and Sam currently playing poorly. Rosen in no mans land. Lamar and Josh are in front right now. Sam has played well at times - very up and down.

I wonder how much Baker is trying, and failing, to placate his WR’s. There was that story that Stafford got much better when he wasn’t forcing it to Megatron, even though his WR’s were worse. And Watson threw a ton of picks in college trying to force the ball to Mike Williams.

Too many egos in a locker room can be a bad thing. OBJ struggling to get the ball while in Cleveland is a lot different than in NYC. 

Josh Allen is my guy. He is the young, 2nd year, starting QB of the team I have rooted for since the mid/late 1980's. The young man is going to be special. He may not ever be Drew Brees, or Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning, but he is going to be special for this team and this city for years to come. You see it already beyond being athletically gifted. In his first full season, game wise, as a starter he has led how many game winning drives/4th quarter comebacks? Yeah. His completion percentage is up like 10 points from last year to this year and the team is winning. So what if he doesn't have gaudy numbers yet? I don't care. The guy is clutch and he's got this switch that flips in crunch time like no one else I have ever seen this early in their career. The main problem, as with many of the dead horse threads on TSW, is comparing him to or not being able to let go of the fact we didn't draft Mahomes or Watson even for that matter. It's kind of sad actually that people get stuck on comparisons or blinded by their disdain over the fact someone else isn't here. Makes a lot of you seem like miserable people in general. When he cuts down the turnovers, because he will, and starts putting up more gaudy numbers, because he will, I can't wait to see all of the people backtracking or rationalizing their stance prior to. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, krf139 said:

Let’s be honest. We could easily have lost 4 of the games we’ve won.  Josh has done nothing to distinguish himself.  Excellent D and a bit of luck are covering up what will soon become a huge problem.  

another brilliant contribution . . . and next, "we should have drafted the other Josh"

• Like (+1) 3

What I think frustrates a lot of national media about Allen is that, among all other quarterbacks, he is unique. He can't be lumped in with Cam Newton and the other QBs, or the strong-armed guys. His natural skills off the charts. His strengths AND his flaws are both at the opposite far edges of the charts (for now). His first-half performances have been lacking, his second halves have been great. On one hand,  it makes it impossible to peg him, or rank him against his peers on a comparable scale. On the other hand, he gives his detractors enough ammo to keep taking swings at him. 

What stands out to me are his comebacks. To me, the fact that he's has performed so many fourth-quarter comebacks says more about him than any other metric. The man is clutch. The fact that many of them came against 'lesser' teams is meaningless. You do it this many times, it means something.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, krf139 said:

Let’s be honest. We could easily have lost 4 of the games we’ve won.  Josh has done nothing to distinguish himself.  Excellent D and a bit of luck are covering up what will soon become a huge problem.  

Aside from being the best 4th quarter QB and best red zone QB in the NFL, you're right, he's done nothing to distinguish himself ?

• Like (+1) 4

17 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

He lost all 4 SB's he ever played in.  Many fans do not look back on those years very fondly due to all the choking, the jokes (Boy I Love Losing Superbowls) etc.

Allen hasn't won anything yet, nor has he even had a great game passing the ball. 

The only fans who don't look back fondly on 4 straight years of Super Bowl appearances were either too young or too dumb to appreciate what we had. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, krf139 said:

You might want to pay more attention to the entire NFL. Most games are "coulda, woulda" until the final five minutes. Your "insightful" observation is a Captain Obvious statement for the league. In fact, in those NFL-wide critical final five minutes, Josh Allen has ruled the roost.

21 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

the point here I think is  this

The Haters are gonna hate and Josh will never be the best of his draft class no matter what

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Definitely agree. The good part is I don’t think he cares. Only cares about wins. 

Exactly.  Too many people are hellbent on being, "right," and put that before Bills winning games.  At least enjoying when they do.

I almost feel sorry for them.  Almost.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Aside from being the best 4th quarter QB and best red zone QB in the NFL, you're right, he's done nothing to distinguish himself ?

As Bills fan, we will be always proud of our QB and what he does to win Football games.  However, the national media looks at him as the whole QB and when you do that, he has failed in several categories.   From that perpsective, he is running as an average to below average QB.   Consistency is key in the NFL, especially for a young QB.

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've been watching a lot of the young QBs and they all have their strengths and weaknesses

Lamar has been very much improved but alot of it is very good scheming .. he has also been very close to being destroyed a few times

I like Lamar.  Like Josh, he has made a huge step since what he was last year.  He had a better team around him last year than Josh did, and he got some attention since they went to the playoffs (in an awful game with the Chargers both team tried to lose)

Roman is probably the best mind in the league for crafting a run-centric offense.  He won with Smith before Smith went to Andy Reid QB School aka Chiefs and got magic dust sprinkled on him.  Then he won with Kaepernick.  And Lamar, like Josh, clearly put in a lot of time in the off season.

But what I don't understand is the media narrative that "Lamar Jackson is an MVP candidate" while Josh Allen is still next door to a bust. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

As Bills fan, we will be always proud of our QB and what he does to win Football games.  However, the national media looks at him as the whole QB and when you do that, he has failed is still growing in several categories.   From that perspective, he is running as an average to below average a promising young QB.   Consistency is key in the NFL, especially for a young QB.

FIFY

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh is just wrapping up the equivalent of one (1) full nfl season of games played as a starter—we cannot forget that, which is why I feel like he’s growing as rapidly into his role as we could possibly reasonably expect, plus some gravy to boot! Outside of the evil empire NE, he hasn’t lost a game since Dec 9 of 2018, FWIW

http://www.nfl.com/player/joshallen/2560955/gamelogs?season=2018

• Like (+1) 2