Carucci: Bills are 5-1, but Josh Allen can’t seem to win no matter what he does

YoloinOhio

Good stuff from QB coach Ken Dorsey and Matt Barkley in here on Allen’s mindset 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/24/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-vic-carucci-nfl-football/

I think, in terms of Josh and who he is, he's a confident guy and doesn't let that stuff bother him. But I think, at the end of the day, the most important thing to him is the team. The best part about Josh is he really doesn't care if he throws the ball 50 times or he throws the ball 20 times or he throws the ball five times. The most important thing to him is the team and whatever you can do to help the team."

Neither Dorsey nor Barkley has noticed any signs that Allen is stressed over an inability to be all quarterback things to all people. In the meeting room, they see someone only concerned about finding ways to improve his performance and beat the next opponent.

Except for the session devoted to reviewing the previous game, the discussion is always about what's immediately ahead.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is good to have confirmation from Dorsey and from Barkley. I had a feeling this was the case with Josh. With an attitude and behavior like this he will most certainly continue to get better. That said, it is a shame that more fans will not embrace him for the character quality he exudes and the professionalism he puts into becoming better. The man deserves this and much more.

Of course, we know his talents. We understand he possesses all the tools required. We heard that he has the work ethic. As a young professional athlete, you really cannot ask for any more.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Allen has a good coach, a very good D, and a decent run game.  ONLY thing he needs to fix, correction, the offense needs to fix is turning the ball over.  I think Brady said it best “You want every possession to end in a kick, a point after, FG, or Punt. “  he stated that this year stating with this defense his job is just not to put them in a bad position... I dare say that Allen would agree with this as well.

Allen is a good QB and shown the IT factor being able come from behind in the 4th.. like almost all young QBs he just has to learn take care of the ball better. 

Edited by PatsFanNH
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

the point here I think is  this

The Haters are gonna hate and Josh will never be the best of his draft class no matter what

That's fair, on the same note Jim Kelly was not the best of the class of 83 (Marino, Elway) but he lead the most exciting offense in the NFL and is in the HOF.  Best is nice, I'd rather see Josh improve and stay a gamer who can shake off the bad choices and get the 4th quarter win.  Just like #12

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

At the end of it all, I wonder who will be the best in that heralded QB class?  Baker and Sam currently playing poorly. Rosen in no mans land. Lamar and Josh are in front right now. Sam has played well at times - very up and down.

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Baker and Sam currently playing poorly. 

I don't think it's a stretch to say a large part of the reason Mayfield and Darnold are playing poorly is because neither has a coach who can help develop them. Kitchens is a new HC and has zero experience dealing with a rookie QB, let alone an NFL team. Darnold got saddled with Gase, which I believe will prove to be one of those hires the Jets will regret for years. He could wreck Darnold like we wrecked JP and EJ. (No, JP and EJ do not = Darnold...I'm just saying, they needed hand-holding development, and they didn't have the right people to get it done.)

I know there are a number of Bills fans who think Beane and McDermott are in over their heads, but they have been very purposeful building this team around Allen and it shows. More parts are needed, and it's going to take another year or two to be a consistently respected contender, but the process for Allen is much better than it is for Darnold or Mayfield.

What's critical is for Allen to keep getting better. Maybe not every single week, but through the season, you want to see the mistakes getting minimized from under center. It's undoubtedly happening. Is just needs to KEEP happening.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

I don't think it's a stretch to say a large part of the reason Mayfield and Darnold are playing poorly is because neither has a coach who can help develop them. Kitchens is a new HC and has zero experience dealing with a rookie QB, let alone an NFL team. Darnold got saddled with Gase, which I believe will prove to be one of those hires the Jets will regret for years. He could wreck Darnold like we wrecked JP and EJ. (No, JP and EJ do not = Darnold...I'm just saying, they needed hand-holding development, and they didn't have the right people to get it done.)

I know there are a number of Bills fans who think Beane and McDermott are in over their heads, but they have been very purposeful building this team around Allen and it shows. More parts are needed, and it's going to take another year or two to be a consistently respected contender, but the process for Allen is much better than it is for Darnold or Mayfield.

What's critical is for Allen to keep getting better. Maybe not every single week, but through the season, you want to see the mistakes getting minimized from under center. It's undoubtedly happening. Is just needs to KEEP happening.

It’s way to early to determine anything. But the narratives will ebb and flow on these guys 

I want the Bills to be the best. Individual records are nice but in the end all you need at the end of a game is more points than the other team!

In Kelly's first game with the Bills, he split game MVP honors with Ken O'Brien, but the Bills LOST. 

Just now, Jerry Jabber said:

I'd really wish people would just stop being greedy. The Bills averaged between 6/10 - 7/9 for 17 years, now that the Bills have a great defense again, have a winning record at 5-1, that is still not good enough for some fans.

the season isn’t over. We’ve been 5-1 in the last 17 years.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

the season isn’t over. We’ve been 5-1 in the last 17 years.

Agreed.

I'm not down on Allen or the offense as the Bills revamped the offense, have four new starters on the O-line, all new RB's and TE's and three new WR's. It's taking time for the offense to gel and we've been seeing improvement from them. The Bills haven't developed a good QB since the 1980's [Kelly], so people need to be patient and give Allen some time before you try and run him out of town.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Definitely agree. The good part is I don’t think he cares. Only cares about wins. 

kid is humble, mindful and respectful of the game.....has size, speed, agility and a cannon arm.......knows where he needs to improve and works his tail off with Palmer & Dorsey to do so.....not for ME but for WE and the Bflo fan base....quote was, "this is OUR team and OUR family"......already active in the community and stuck around during the bye week...other than those few MINOR points, he sucks.....SMH.........

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The single best thing they can do right now for Allen is extend Daboll or do whatever it takes to keep some consistency for the offense over the next few years.  Changing offensive schemes is often a huge setback for many young QBs. 

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Not with this level of coaching , defensive output or QB potential.

Something something before they hatched.

11 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Agreed.

I'm not down on Allen or the offense as the Bills revamped the offense, have four new starters on the O-line, all new RB's and TE's and three new WR's. It's taking time for the offense to gel and we've been seeing improvement from them. The Bills haven't developed a good QB since the 1980's [Kelly], so people need to be patient and give Allen some time before you try and run him out of town.

I can’t name a QB on the Bills who was ran out of town too early. Let’s hope Allen is the guy, but history suggests if he gets run out of town, he’ll back up somewhere for a while then retire.

• Like (+1) 1