Looking for a reason why Beane should make a big trade before the deadline? Look no further than John Dorsey.

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Hold on to our picks and sign our own guys with contracts coming up.  

I like the way we draft, and I value our picks immensely. Having said that, if our FO feels like there’s a deal worth making....I’ll trust them and hope for the best. What other choice do I have? 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, vorpma said:

The fire McBeane crowd will show again, wait for a loss, they will be acreaming that we should have signed Antonio Brown or Beckham, won the Super Bowl this year then drop into mediocrity like we did for 15 years; it's coming!

Man they want it now!

Why not - gives you freedom to make the "RIGHT" move!

No one can seem to define the “right move” except for Beane not doing anything.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No they don't. They already extended Hughes and Hauschka.  Poyer and Hyde are under contract. 

They have basically said they arent bringing Shaq back with how he is being used. Nsekhe and Feliciano signed two year deals.

That leaves Spain and nobody else. 

I for one think Poyer is not going to be resigned. With the flashes that J. Johnson showed during preseason he will be groomed to take Poyers spot.

Im not saying Poyer isnt good but i dont see him as a game changer. 

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

No one can seem to define the “right move” except for Beane not doing anything.

It’s been tough for me, for some reason the other GM’s are not taking my calls!  Go figure? 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

I for one think Poyer is not going to be resigned. With the flashes that J. Johnson showed during preseason he will be groomed to take Poyers spot.

Im not saying Poyer isnt good but i dont see him as a game changer. 

I'm not so sure about this.  I think Poyer will be retained; him and Micah Hyde are among the best safety tandem in the league, and are the quarterbacks of the defense.  That is not something that McD would want to break up.  If anything, I think a CB is expendable.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm not so sure about this.  I think Poyer will be retained; him and Micah Hyde are among the best safety tandem in the league, and are the quarterbacks of the defense.  That is not something that McD would want to break up.  If anything, I think a CB is expendable.

You might be right. Im just going on a hunch from seeing J. Johnson make plays in his limited preseason debut. That along with the fact you cant pay everyone top dollar for their production.

And that McBeane is following New England's cap strategy having the two top paid safetys in football doesnt seem very economical. And Hyde is the better player and more important of the two.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He's not going anwhere....

But since you brought it up,

1. He created the cap mess with his trades/cuts

2. So far so good with Allen but still has a long way to prove his is a franchise QB

3. Oline is average but all in all the players he signed have done well. He cant be blamed for Incognito and Wood. But he continued his practice of overpaying for guys(see Star and Murphy) Morse is highest paid center in the league and he barely makes the top 10 in performance.  Feliciano is far better than I thought. Nsekhe is below average. Long is a waste of money. 

4. WR group is a mess but he had a significant hand in making. He traded away Watkins and traded for KB( a move I thought was good at the time). He made great signing in Brown. Beasley so far is ok. 

Don't agree with not picking up 5th year option on Lawson.  

Wallace is looking like a great find. Foster not so much anymore. Duke is TBD.

I am admittedly biased to win now mode. They will never have a better schedule, they are relatively healthy, and they have a chance for a deep playoff run in a weak AFC. I don't care about draft picks next year, I want a proven pass rusher and a player that can stretch the defense. 

No he didn't create cap issues. He repaired them.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

Honestly, do you think a 12-4 season that doesn't end up in the Super Bowl is going to get Beane fired?

Beane is running this franchise not to be a one and done flash.  He wants to create a long-term, winning team.  He does not expect to win it all this year although obviously he would take it if it happened.  He's thinking about 3 and 4 years from now, when next spring's draft picks are the core of the 2023 team.  This is the process they're always talking about.

Draft picks are important from a cap management standpoint.  Teams use draft picks as relatively cheap labor for a few years.  The players who prove themselves get retained, and those who are marginal performers are replaced with the next batch.  Even the players who get cut get to come on board and make a lot more than most people make for a few years, so it's not like these are retail store managers who get burned and turned.

However, that five year process fails, if you don't get a Franchise QB.   Everything pivots around having a successful Franchise QB

30 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No he didn't create cap issues. He repaired them.

He created them first. We were not in cap hell. We had a lot of our money spent, sure, but we were far from in hell and that money was spent on good players. But they were not the players McDermott and Beane wanted. I don't criticise them for doing the tear down before they started to rebuild. It was my preferred method too but had they simply tried to build on the roster that was here there was enough cap flexibility to do that. They created the dead money and by Beane's own admission it was a "rip off the band aid" approach. 

We had this conversation ad nauseam in the summer but the tear down was a choice. It wasn't obligatory. I happen to think it was the right choice and that results in the long run will show that. 

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

They would be well advised to keep that duo together. It because they have those two they are able to change coverages so late before the snap. Their communication (including non verbal) with one another on the field is a sight to behold. Their level of understanding borders on telepathic.  Hyde is the more complete of the two but I have no doubt they both make each other better. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Physically yes. But those trades/cuts were necessary as those players were over-hyped and over paid.   None of them have gone on to be all-pro's for any teams.

2. So far so good with Allen but still has a long way to prove his is a franchise QB

Agreed.  Time will tell

3. Oline is average but all in all the players he signed have done well. He cant be blamed for Incognito and Wood. But he continued his practice of overpaying for guys(see Star and Murphy) Morse is highest paid center in the league and he barely makes the top 10 in performance.  Feliciano is far better than I thought. Nsekhe is below average. Long is a waste of money. 

Agreed.  Beane has tried hard this year on the OL after doing nothing last year. However, the results have been mixed.  We are yet to see a solid OL that is winning CONSISTENTLY in the trenches.  That is the hallmark of great teams.    Our OL play has been underwhelming for the money poured in it.

4. WR group is a mess but he had a significant hand in making. He traded away Watkins and traded for KB( a move I thought was good at the time). He made great signing in Brown. Beasley so far is ok. 

Agreed. They also traded for that Cleveland WR  (forget his name) and still we are lagging behind in this spot.  Jones did not work out as a high draft pick that also required additional draft capital for a trade up. 

This is a tricky one.  You can't pay 12M to a guy who has under performed.  You are setting wrong expectations especially when your stars like Hyde and Poyer are making peanuts.

I am admittedly biased to win now mode. They will never have a better schedule, they are relatively healthy, and they have a chance for a deep playoff run in a weak AFC. I don't care about draft picks next year, I want a proven pass rusher and a player that can stretch the defense. 

The important point is that Beane is TRYING.  If you don't even try, then how do you expect to win.   Has he been successful; at this point I would say less than stellar...but if Allen turns out to be a Franchise QB, then all wiill be forgotten.    What Beane has done is take the formula of building the team with good draft picks that can last their 4-5 rookie contract.  After all a GM and HC get only around 4 years to turn a team around.

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The season Record is not always the reason GMs are fired. However Beane has been on his role 2.5 years. 

In that time hes:

- completely resolved the cap.  

- Drafted a high potential QB for the offense and the defense. 

- solidified the back up QBs position  

- put/kept together a top defense with young talent 

- rebuilt an offensive line from trash to treasure

- completely overhauled a WR corp, RB room and tight end room 

Is the winningest Bills gm since John Butler (that’s 20 years ago folks) 

Anyone thinking he’s going anywhere anytime soon for job performance is delusional 

This.

I expect Beane to see full term and re-upped prior to term expiring.

He’s a keeper. 

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You’re an example of a “live in the moment “ kind of person. I’m thankful you aren’t our Gm.

Bean gets it.... great leaders are ones that plan for longevity and now for the immediate show. Those that live for the moment are people that flame out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, fishgrappler said:

You’re an example of a “live in the moment “ kind of person. I’m thankful you aren’t our Gm.

Bean gets it.... great leaders are ones that plan for longevity and now for the immediate show. Those that live for the moment are people that flame out.

We’ve seen all we need to of that. From gm to hc hires. Good riddance 

• Like (+1) 1