College basketball 2019-20

YoloinOhio

So I will watch most B1G games this year and Bill Walton broadcasts, I want to get some grasp of context about this sport and I have lost it with the 1-and-done era

and it’s no fun when top matchups at 9pm don’t start on TV until at least 8 minutes into the game....

i watch until garbagetime, usually defined as a 20 point lead

So, Northwestern went on some dire cold streaks to hold off Providence, the factoid is their top player Spencer was a legend of lacrosse before switching to hoops

and Rutgers TKO’d Niagara quick and painlessly, 21-6 after 10 minutes and a final of 86-39.  Unable to discern much for individual players in this type of sad hammering.

----------

saw my first T for flopping in the Hawaii/Illini game last night

you get a warning and then T'd up on your second dive

this will be inconsistently applied more than any other panic-stricken innoviation

the jump ball at centre in the NBA is embarrassing as well on their replay mess

Edited by row_33

5 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Duke loses at home to Stephen F Austin.????  Duke got 40 free throws and still couldn't get it done.

We can finally stop hearing about how many home games in a row against non-conference opponents they have won...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

the game has sunk to this level

make it mandatory to play 3 years minimum, please

get them some semblance of an education and learn how to play the game

like in the old days....

I've reconciled myself to the one and done system. It's not going to change. If it is going to change it is gong to change the other way where post high schoolers will be allowed to jump directly to the NBA or the NBA G leaguer or foreign ball. From an economic standpoint it makes sense for the pro ready high schooler to get into the NBA sooner so that he can get to the more remunerative second contract. As far as the counter argument that many kids who make the leap end up not playing my response is that they should be able to make their own decisions whether it is the smart thing to do or not. 

Luka Doncic is in his second year with the Dallas Mavericks. He already is one of the best players in the league at 20 yrs old. He was playing pro ball in Europe when he was in his mid-teens. I'm not arguing that the college game has changed because of the one and done system. But change in the college game is part of the reality of all college sports. A great young golfer, baseball, tennis. bowler, soccer can go directly into the pro ranks. So why not in basketball?  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I've reconciled myself to the one and done system. It's not going to change. If it is going to change it is gong to change the other way where post high schoolers will be allowed to jump directly to the NBA or the NBA G leaguer or foreign ball. From an economic standpoint it makes sense for the pro ready high schooler to get into the NBA sooner so that he can get to the more remunerative second contract. As far as the counter argument that many kids who make the leap end up not playing my response is that they should be able to make their own decisions whether it is the smart thing to do or not. 

Luka Doncic is in his second year with the Dallas Mavericks. He already is one of the best players in the league at 20 yrs old. He was playing pro ball in Europe when he was in his mid-teens. I'm not arguing that the college game has changed because of the one and done system. But change in the college game is part of the reality of all college sports. A great young golfer, baseball, tennis. bowler, soccer can go directly into the pro ranks. So why not in basketball?  

yeah....

how many pro-ready high schoolers are there?  ones that seriously can step in and make a difference without 2-3 years of learning the pro game?

the Euro kids are a different matter, they are honed on the modern game a lot better than their US counterparts

tossing away a chance at an education over a pipe dream of playing in the NBA is not something that the NCAA should be encouraging

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yeah....

how many pro-ready high schoolers are there?  ones that seriously can step in and make a difference without 2-3 years of learning the pro game?

the Euro kids are a different matter, they are honed on the modern game a lot better than their US counterparts

tossing away a chance at an education over a pipe dream of playing in the NBA is not something that the NCAA should be encouraging

There aren't that many young players who will be ready for the pro ranks. That's understood. And it isn't the NCAA that is encouraging kids to leave. The kids,  their families and advisors are making decisions that they believe is in their best interests. For many their pipe dream is an illusion. But they have the right to make that decision for themselves. As far as getting an education or not or delaying it that is also their decision to make. 

Wow, amazing comeback by Oregon to take down Seton Hall. Next up is Gonzaga, then hopefully North Carolina. Brutal schedule in the Battle for Atlantis. Finish the game at 11:40, play tomorrow at 4. Game is same time as the Bills unfortunately but I got the 2nd TV set up in the man cave.?

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

There aren't that many young players who will be ready for the pro ranks. That's understood. And it isn't the NCAA that is encouraging kids to leave. The kids,  their families and advisors are making decisions that they believe is in their best interests. For many their pipe dream is an illusion. But they have the right to make that decision for themselves. As far as getting an education or not or delaying it that is also their decision to make. 

i can't the majority of the time be cynical enough to suggest they completely stop the fake education aspect of college sports.... sometimes i can

the product is in horrible decline, this is total bogus nonsense for top teams to lose like this, they can't stock a decent team any more???

still believe kids with some spark of a brain should be encouraged to earn the chance for an education and give it a shot, it's really important in life for the 998,000 out of the 998,001 hoopsters who won't make a permanent living from pro hoops

Edited by row_33

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i can't the majority of the time be cynical enough to suggest they completely stop the fake education aspect of college sports.... sometimes i can

the product is in horrible decline, this is total bogus nonsense for top teams to lose like this, they can't stock a decent team any more???[/v]

still believe kids with some spark of a brain should be encouraged to earn the chance for an education and give it a shot, it's really important in life for the 998,000 out of the 998,001 hoopsters who won't make a permanent living from pro hoops

I disagree with you that the product is in a horrible decline. The players are better. Where I agree with you is that the product is different with the one and done players. Kids who want to stay in school and are motivated to get an education get it. And kids who aren't motivated to get an education don't get their degrees. That has not changed. I challenge you go through the football rosters of Alabama, Clemson, Florida and Georgia etc and see how many of those student/athletes actually get their degrees, even those who stay for four years. The landscape in college BB has changed, and it is not going back. Even Duke under Coach K has come to that realization and is adjusting to that new reality.  

37 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I disagree with you that the product is in a horrible decline. The players are better. Where I agree with you is that the product is different with the one and done players. Kids who want to stay in school and are motivated to get an education get it. And kids who aren't motivated to get an education don't get their degrees. That has not changed. I challenge you go through the football rosters of Alabama, Clemson, Florida and Georgia etc and see how many of those student/athletes actually get their degrees, even those who stay for four years. The landscape in college BB has changed, and it is not going back. Even Duke under Coach K has come to that realization and is adjusting to that new reality.  

i grew up watching Bill Walton/David Thompson, Bird/Magic/, Ewing/Olajuwon, so the players are clearly not better in a 1 and done scenario

sticking around extra years in college made the college game much stronger with talent, which causes some $$$ concerns and that's understood

and i accept we aren't going back to that

but i seek to watch great talent on display, i have no interest in particular teams winning or doing well, i just want to see what is clearly great talent, and it isn't there....

i'll watch probably 200 games this year, not really caring about names of players (it just doesn't matter for almost all of them) and hoping that i really feel someone is worth tuning in to watch, they exist

so Coach K can't find a kid who can shoot the 3 for another season??

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i grew up watching Bill Walton/David Thompson, Bird/Magic/, Ewing/Olajuwon, so the players are clearly not better in a 1 and done scenario

sticking around extra years in college made the college game much stronger with talent, which causes some $$$ concerns and that's understood

and i accept we aren't going back to that

but i seek to watch great talent on display, i have no interest in particular teams winning or doing well, i just want to see what is clearly great talent, and it isn't there....

i'll watch probably 200 games this year, not really caring about names of players (it just doesn't matter for almost all of them) and hoping that i really feel someone is worth tuning in to watch, they exist

so Coach K can't find a kid who can shoot the 3 for another season??

With respect to the highlighted segment Coach K can definitely find plenty of kids who can shoot the three for addition years. However, this Army grad is smart enough to understand that he can find better three point shooters who will be at his elite academic institution for a one year basketball sabbatical. Coach K may be a traditionalist but he is savvy enough to adjust to the changing business model. The good old days are the good old days. Today is a different era and reality.  

Edited by JohnC

On 11/28/2019 at 10:12 AM, JohnC said:

With respect to the highlighted segment Coach K can definitely find plenty of kids who can shoot the three for addition years. However, this Army grad is smart enough to understand that he can find better three point shooters who will be at his elite academic institution for a one year basketball sabbatical. Coach K may be a traditionalist but he is savvy enough to adjust to the changing business model. The good old days are the good old days. Today is a different era and reality.  

the genius of Coach K to lose to freakin' SFA at home?

applause, eternal applause.... yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the genius of Coach K to lose to freakin' SFA at home?

applause, eternal applause.... yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a useful early season loss for coach K to get the message to his talented team that they aren't as good as everyone makes them out to be. Coach K is one of the best coaches in the business. His teams get better as the season advances. There are plenty of coaches to sneer at---he shouldn't be one of them. He is one of the best in the business. If you don't believe me then check his glorious record. 

Michigan wins the Battle for Atlantis tournament!

They soundly beat both North Carolina & Gonzaga.

They have to get a Top 25 ranking after this. I'm very impressed with how they have been able to score with so many players. Juwan Howard has this team focused.

Now for their reward, they have to go on the road to play Louisville. Yeesh!

• Like (+1) 1