Is Star Lotulelei A Liability on the DL?

It's not like the Eagles didn't have a past history against Star.  Seems to have been a repeat of their last game against him.

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Star was far from the only person (and not even the main person) to blame in that play but it was his channel the ball was run through and they kept hitting that inside left zone channel from that point on. Eventually if you are the team's premier run stuffer you gotta take the view that it is your job to get in there make a play and cut off that route. 

From The Athletic - "That concern didn’t reach Lotulelei in the locker room. The defensive tackle, who is in the second year of a five-year, $50 million contract, said he wasn’t frustrated by the way the Eagles ran the ball. When asked to clarify that he, the man paid handsomely to stop the run, was not frustrated by the Eagles trampling his team, Lotulelei seemed offended.

“No,” he said."

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

It's not like the Eagles didn't have a past history against Star.  Seems to have been a repeat of their last game against him.

That concern didn’t reach Lotulelei in the locker room. The defensive tackle, who is in the second year of a five-year, $50 million contract, said he wasn’t frustrated by the way the Eagles ran the ball. When asked to clarify that he, the man paid handsomely to stop the run, was not frustrated by the Eagles trampling his team, Lotulelei seemed offended.

“No,” he said.

Just Collecting his check

2 minutes ago, GG said:

That concern didn’t reach Lotulelei in the locker room. The defensive tackle, who is in the second year of a five-year, $50 million contract, said he wasn’t frustrated by the way the Eagles ran the ball. When asked to clarify that he, the man paid handsomely to stop the run, was not frustrated by the Eagles trampling his team, Lotulelei seemed offended.

“No,” he said.

$8 million cap hit if he's cut before next season, but that's less than $10 million cap hit he'd be if he's on the team. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/star-lotulelei-12294/

I think that this might be the last year of Star. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GG said:

From The Athletic - "That concern didn’t reach Lotulelei in the locker room. The defensive tackle, who is in the second year of a five-year, $50 million contract, said he wasn’t frustrated by the way the Eagles ran the ball. When asked to clarify that he, the man paid handsomely to stop the run, was not frustrated by the Eagles trampling his team, Lotulelei seemed offended.

“No,” he said."

nice find.

6 minutes ago, GG said:

“No,” he said."

Yea it is a pathetic attitude and honestly it doesn't scream process to me..

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

$8 million cap hit if he's cut before next season, but that's less than $10 million cap hit he'd be if he's on the team. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/star-lotulelei-12294/

I think that this might be the last year of Star. 

Yup, discussed it earlier in the thread.  Cap hit won't be that big, especially if it's a post-June designation.  Realistically they will probably restructure at a much lower salary and he becomes a role player.

10 minutes ago, GG said:

Yup, discussed it earlier in the thread.  Cap hit won't be that big, especially if it's a post-June designation.  Realistically they will probably restructure at a much lower salary and he becomes a role player.

We could have some fun defining that role.

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just how he is. Going all the way back to Carolina w/Panthers, people didn't like him because he never showed any fire and played a position that doesn't pop on screen. 

He's a known quantity by McD and staff. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

C'mon Dopey. 

A guy can express frustration "it was a frustrating game all around" or "we had them 3rd and long, we just didn't finish, we've got to look at the tape and get to it" without throwing his teammates under the bus.  As for "smart enough not to play the media's game", if he doesn't know that saying "no" he wasn't frustrated by a big defensive flaw that contributed to our loss, is in fact directly playing into the media's game, he's not that media-smart.

I hear ya. He said he's not frustrated. A simple statement like that seemed to get twisted to mean he doesn't care. Can't really twist "no" around too much. Smart call in my mind. Keep the emotions out after a loss and there's not much to expound on. 

A quote from your post: "That concern didn’t reach Lotulelei in the locker room." That doesn't me he doesn't care, he's just not frustrated. So what now, portray the player and coach are not on the same page? That's why less is more in this case to me. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No kidding. Star has never been a vocal guy since he’s been here, but this optically is a lack of accountability to me. They’ll brush it off and say he’s accountable to the team and is a “pro’s pro”. You aren’t frustrated and don’t want to explain why you aren’t frustrated? Great, but that’s pretty shocking and worth and explanation. Drop the ‘tude Star. Everyone is just curious and looking for answers. 

Edited by TheProcess

It's one thing for the media to be pissed that he didn't give them material, but someone here?! He shows frustration and the media pounces on that. Some of you to follow the media like it's the pied piper. You know about his attitude from that little write up?!

Oh, I forgot, it's overreaction Monday. Which began last night, no last week.

Edited by Dopey

24 minutes ago, Dopey said:

It's one thing for the media to be pissed that he didn't give them material, but someone here?! He shows frustration and the media pounces on that. Some of you to follow the media like it's the pied piper. You know about his attitude from that little write up?!

Oh, I forgot, it's overreaction Monday. Which began last night, no last week.

No I just expect my guys to be professional when dealing with the media. When I coached it was regional press with a readership of thousands not millions and I would still be pissed if one of my guys gave that answer. 

• Like (+1) 1

No I just expect my guys to be professional when dealing with the media. When I coached it was regional press with a readership of thousands not millions and I would still be pissed if one of my guys gave that answer. 

Skates Lotulelei just collecting checks at this point 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Star was far from the only person (and not even the main person) to blame in that play but it was his channel the ball was run through and they kept hitting that inside left zone channel from that point on. Eventually if you are the team's premier run stuffer you gotta take the view that it is your job to get in there make a play and cut off that route. 

I'm watching this play and I think we had wrong playcall in on defense, 2nd and 8 passing down...to me that's a called stunt w/Oliver that didn't get communicated properly on a normal pass down. Lotulelei is down blocking to try to take two guys away, he doesn't get moved initially or put on skates or whatever is being claimed here. I think that was just the wrong play call...

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm watching this play and I think we had wrong playcall in on defense, 2nd and 8 passing down...to me that's a called stunt w/Oliver that didn't get communicated properly on a normal pass down. Lotulelei is down blocking to try to take two guys away, he doesn't get moved initially or put on skates or whatever is being claimed here. I think that was just the wrong play call...

the Skates Apologists. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

the Skates Apologists. 

I swear I am not being an apologist here. I seriously don't think Lotulelei is the problem. 

Did you see the big completion to Jeffery (one of the turning points for me) in the third when it was still a 4 point game? I think teams have started seeing certain DT combinations Bills are using and taking advantage of the fact that only Lotulelei can stand up to a double team but doesn't have a solid pass rush move, and he's really the only effective 1tech the Bills have right now. Watch how they decide to double Phillips instead of Lotulelei and what happens.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I swear I am not being an apologist here. I seriously don't think Lotulelei is the problem. 

Did you see the big completion to Jeffery (one of the turning points for me) in the third when it was still a 4 point game? I think teams have started seeing certain DT combinations Bills are using and taking advantage of the fact that only Lotulelei can stand up to a double team but doesn't have a solid pass rush move, and he's really the only effective 1tech the Bills have right now. Watch how they decide to double Phillips instead of Lotulelei and what happens.

it isn’t a coincidence that Skates get his most snaps of the season and Philly rips of 218 after not being able to run all season. 

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Medermott said that play was a bad fit, which would line up more with your assertion than the ‘blame the DT’ crowd... but what does the coach know? 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He gets moved. I am sorry there is just no way around it. If you don't think he does we are never going to agree on what is expected of him. He is not the main reason that play happened. But he is eased out of the play. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Medermott said that play was a bad fit, which would line up more with your assertion than the ‘blame the DT’ crowd... but what does the coach know? 

yeah why not make Excuses for his Top UFA Target. Question when have you ever heard McD call out a player?  He surely isn’t going to call our Skates