Is Star Lotulelei A Liability on the DL?

Ok, Star stinks. On that touchdown run in the second half he was laying on the ground 2 yards back from the LOS. 

If McDermott learns how to be more results oriented when it comes to players, he will be a great coach. Star is collecting a check. I don’t care how often he trains and is around the facility. Star isn’t an effort guy on game day.

Besides being a bald family man, something McDermott has a hard on for, Tent Murphy is useless.

Dull Star Lotulelei? Invisible and when you actually watch him, on skates. 

Hughes? Always 1 second too late but at least he is giving it his all every snap. 

The sad part is our best DL right now are back ups. 

Ed Oliver has talent but isn't making an impact, this is why you trade first round picks if the right guy is available. Our window will begin to close. This D will not last forever and will Allen start winning games for us?

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Ok, Star stinks. On that touchdown run in the second half he was laying on the ground 2 yards back from the LOS

If McDermott learns how to be more results oriented when it comes to players, he will be a great coach. Star is collecting a check. I don’t care how often he trains and is around the facility. Star isn’t an effort guy on game day.

They had 3 rushing tds in the 2nd half, mind if I ask which one was this?

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Probably all of them. But the one from the three yard line. I don’t really want to go back and look it up. 

The 1st td run of the 2nd half, Hyde and Milano both got blocked by ONE guy and that's what the rb took advantage of. The 2nd one from the 4 yd line was Peko and Phillips(Phillips got manhandled) and the 10 yd run to the 4 just that lead to that td was with Peko and Oliver in there. On the last scoring drive for Philly, Howard had a 20 yd run from our 41 to our 21 with Peko and Oliver in there. The subsequent td was run to Star's side and he was pushed 2 yds off the line. He actually didn't play bad, especially in the 1st half. The sack by Lawson in the 1st half was all Star. This is not meant to argue, but he was probably the best interior lineman today and wasn't as bad as made out to be by buscaglia vs. the dolphins. Peko is horrible, Phillips was trucked a few times and doesn't even play the same position as Star. Oliver is undersized and better used when we have a lead and need qb pressure. Star is the least of our problems on the dline.We do miss Harrison. Just my take.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Dopey said:

The 1st td run of the 2nd half, Hyde and Milano both got blocked by ONE guy and that's what the rb took advantage of. The 2nd one from the 4 yd line was Peko and Phillips(Phillips got manhandled) and the 10 yd run to the 4 just that lead to that td was with Peko and Oliver in there. On the last scoring drive for Philly, Howard had a 20 yd run from our 41 to our 21 with Peko and Oliver in there. The subsequent td was run to Star's side and he was pushed 2 yds off the line. He actually didn't play bad, especially in the 1st half. The sack by Lawson in the 1st half was all Star. This is not meant to argue, but he was probably the best interior lineman today and wasn't as bad as made out to be by buscaglia vs. the dolphins. Peko is horrible, Phillips was trucked a few times and doesn't even play the same position as Star. Oliver is undersized and better used when we have a lead and need qb pressure. Star is the least of our problems on the dline.We do miss Harrison. Just my take.

There's a 6 minute video above that shows the DL on running plays vs Miami.  It ain't pretty.   

If Peko sucks so much and Star is the least of our problems, why are Peko's snaps going up and Star's going down?

Matthew Fairburn article after the Eagles loss (athletic, paywall):

https://theathletic.com/1328600/2019/10/27/this-is-probably-the-loss-that-feels-the-worst-where-do-the-bills-stand-after-getting-pounded-by-the-eagles/?redirected=1

“I’m concerned any time a team can run the ball like that on our football team,” Sean McDermott said after the game. “That’s concerning.”

That concern didn’t reach Lotulelei in the locker room. The defensive tackle, who is in the second year of a five-year, $50 million contract, said he wasn’t frustrated by the way the Eagles ran the ball. When asked to clarify that he, the man paid handsomely to stop the run, was not frustrated by the Eagles trampling his team, Lotulelei seemed offended.

“No,” he said.

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/2018-buffalo-bills-all-22-in-review-defensive-tackle

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/01/bills-lorenzo-alexander-says-star-lotulelei-earned-every-bit-of-big-contract.html

"But Buffalo linebacker Lorenzo Alexander, who called Lotulelei “disruptive,” said that the former Panthers tackle was well worth it and is going to be a staple on the team for years to come. “Obviously he (doesn’t play) a sexy position, but he allows other people around him to make plays,” Alexander said. “I’ve definitely been able to have a pretty good year this year. A lot of it is contributed to what he’s been able to do as far as keeping guys off me, allowing me to run free. “In the pass rush, people can’t step up. On first or second down I know a couple of guys that have gotten sacks throughout the year just because Star has gotten that great push. He’s earned every bit of what he’s got with that five-year deal.”

It’s hard to argue with the results that the Bills defense had this season, finishing the year ranked second in the NFL in total defense and No. 1 in pass defense.

Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier raved about Lotulelei’s first 16 games in Buffalo and explained that his unselfishness allows others to thrive and young players, like linebackers Tremaine Edmunds and Matt Milano, to develop. “He demands a double team which allows our linebackers to run free and make some of the tackles that people might think the nose tackle should be making,” Frazier said. “That has been a plus for us, helping our linebackers to improve. But also to help our run defense. He’s done a good job of commanding attention from their interior, their center and their guards. It’s hard to block him one-one-one and that’s what we needed and he’s given us that.”

Alexander said he shows others how to succeed because of the example he sets. “He’s a great leader. He doesn’t say a lot but the way he works and the way he goes about his business and the way he relates to guys in this locker room goes a long way,” Alexander said.

I know what Star's roll is on the team, he is supposed to be the Casey Hampton of our DL, I get that, eat up blocks so the more talented players can get to the QB. My question is that I'd actually want to know if he's doing his job since there is no way of really telling this stat. Again we just got gashed for over 200 yards on the ground against a solid Eagles team, how does this happen if Star is doing his job correctly? We also don't get many sacks and I was watching Star like a hawk in this Eagles matchup, he was getting pushed around on many plays where he actually went backwards.

9 hours ago, Dopey said:

He was also moved completely out of the play on the long TD run. 

He isn't our only problem. Peko is utter garbage and our middle linbacker couldn't the right hole if it was flashing and sounding an alarm... but Star is also nowhere near the least of our problems. He is an average run stuffer and a below average everything else. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Ok, Star stinks. On that touchdown run in the second half he was laying on the ground 2 yards back from the LOS. 

He's wrapped around the leg of the ball carrier. You can complain that he didn't do his job well enough.

But that he's not an effort guy is flat-out nonsense.

1 hour ago, QCity said:

Star was a train-wreck against the Eagles. The loss of Harrison Phillips is really starting to show. I would expect Beane to bring in another 1-tech before Tuesday's trade deadline.

Train wreck? Please. That is a wild exaggeration, typical for the folks on your side of the argument. He had some really good plays. And at least a few bad ones too that I saw

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was also moved completely out of the play on the long TD run. 

He isn't our only problem. Peko is utter garbage and our middle linbacker couldn't the right hole if it was flashing and sounding an alarm... but Star is also nowhere near the least of our problems. He is an average run stuffer and a below average everything else. 

He was out of the play there, but he was moving towards where the RB headed when he got the ball. Looked to me like he was in the right gap and covering it.

But I'd like to have seen him turn his momentum around when he saw the RB cut back. He should've been able to at least squeeze the hole there, and he didn't.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I know what Star's roll is on the team, he is supposed to be the Casey Hampton of our DL, I get that, eat up blocks so the more talented players can get to the QB. My question is that I'd actually want to know if he's doing his job since there is no way of really telling this stat. Again we just got gashed for over 200 yards on the ground against a solid Eagles team, how does this happen if Star is doing his job correctly? We also don't get many sacks and I was watching Star like a hawk in this Eagles matchup, he was getting pushed around on many plays where he actually went backwards.

Looked to me like a bad game. Casey Hampton had them too. Everyone does. Just checked a couple of years on Hampton and saw a few games when the Steelers got gashed on the ground despite Hampton playing. In the 2007 Jax game, they allowed 227 yards on the ground, for instance.

And you can see that Alexander and Frazier are very clear on how very well he did his job last year.

I'm not clear on how he's doing over the whole year this year. Has he regressed? It's not clear to me yet how well he's done over the whole year. Joe B. looks at all the tape and says he's not doing as well. And again, is he injured? Regressing? Attempting to do too much? It's not clear yet.

As for how it could happen if Star is playing well, well, it could easily happen if the other players in the front seven are getting beat. Or it could happen when Peko is playing and Star is on the bench. You can't blame all defensive problems against the run on Star. Only the ones he's to blame for. Again, I'm not clear, and I've made my unclarity pretty clear. Maybe it's time for you to either believe Joe's opinion or go back and start watching film like a maniac.

One thing for sure is that as happens after bad losses, the default for fans will be wild overreaction. Same as after good wins most overreact to that as well.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's wrapped around the leg of the ball carrier. You can complain that he didn't do his job well enough.

But that he's not an effort guy is flat-out nonsense.

You have a different perception of the play. I’m fine with it. Star just isn’t living up to his contract.