Great Article on McDermott's Early Coaching Days

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/33757/bills-sean-mcdermott-recalls-jim-johnson-eagles-days-fondly

Just came across this and wanted to share with you all.  I love seeing how, as a coach, he wants to continue to grow and become better.  He has earned every bit of this opportunity to coach a team and thankfully he took on this job in Buffalo.  I truly believe we have our coach that'll be here for a long, long time. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

17 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I wasn't happy when we hired him but I am very happy we have him now. I think he is doing an excellent job and he seems to be a great human being as well

Beside McDermott, you have to tip your hat to the Pegulas' for learning on their first hire and not making the same mistake twice. The Rex hire (I still shutter when I say that) was a disaster. I get it, I do understand the thought process then, but it quickly became apparent he was not the answer, to anything. All hype, and no substance. They removed him as soon as it was prudent to do so.

In McDermott they hired the polar opposite. An unknown, a high-character guy, a leader of men, someone people instantly trust, a principled person who works his plan (the process), and, of course, a high football IQ. He admitted it would take time, he (and Beane) had a plan and they've stuck to it. The Pegulas' have supported them in that plan, and the results are showing.

Everything he does is the exact opposite of how Rex did it. And that is good! And it is a credit to the Pegula's for taking the risk. They learned the hard way, but once they realized their mistake, they acted swiftly and smartly.

What is the saying? "fire fast and hire slowly." This entire scenario is support to that wisdom. Good work Terry and Kim, and to Coach McDermott and GM Beane.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I wasn't happy when we hired him but I am very happy we have him now. I think he is doing an excellent job and he seems to be a great human being as well

Interesting. Was it simply because you wanted an offensive minded coach?

14 hours ago, MJS said:

Interesting. Was it simply because you wanted an offensive minded coach?

I was a big on Frank Reich, I thought it would be a cool story and being an offensive minded coach was a huge plus for me too

21 hours ago, CSBill said:

Beside McDermott, you have to tip your hat to the Pegulas' for learning on their first hire and not making the same mistake twice. The Rex hire (I still shutter when I say that) was a disaster. I get it, I do understand the thought process then, but it quickly became apparent he was not the answer, to anything. All hype, and no substance. They removed him as soon as it was prudent to do so.

In McDermott they hired the polar opposite. An unknown, a high-character guy, a leader of men, someone people instantly trust, a principled person who works his plan (the process), and, of course, a high football IQ. He admitted it would take time, he (and Beane) had a plan and they've stuck to it. The Pegulas' have supported them in that plan, and the results are showing.

Everything he does is the exact opposite of how Rex did it. And that is good! And it is a credit to the Pegula's for taking the risk. They learned the hard way, but once they realized their mistake, they acted swiftly and smartly.

What is the saying? "fire fast and hire slowly." This entire scenario is support to that wisdom. Good work Terry and Kim, and to Coach McDermott and GM Beane.

Perfectly put! 

• Like (+1) 1