Accents

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i highly doubt that in private people are speaking English if it's their 3rd language

No...in public they quite often do. I think thats it pretty cool to see Middle Eastern people speaking English among themselves in public. I find it interesting because I once lived and worked in Saudi Arabia.

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

No...in public they quite often do. I think thats it pretty cool to see Middle Eastern people speaking English among themselves in public. I find it interesting because I once lived and worked in Saudi Arabia.

i said private....

in Toronto it's a mix in public conversation, my neighbourhood is heavy Eastern Euro and they speak their native language quite open and freely and loudly

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

that is where my wife was born.  and her Auntie still lives.

the only accent that gets stronger the longer you live in another country  :D

Edited by row_33

Just now, row_33 said:

i said private....

in Toronto it's a mix in public conversation

Well of course. Just because they have become assimilated in western culture, it takes nothing away from tradition. Interesting though.

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Well of course. Just because they have become assimilated in western culture, it takes nothing away from tradition. Interesting though.

assimilated can mean many things, not much of a switch for Russians or Serbs or Poles

I find the most interesting of English accents to be the South African accent.

Very unusual, difficult to imitate, and straight up weird sounding.

I like all English accents for the most part, with a few exceptions.

I can't stand a NYC accent; it hurts my ears.

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

assimilated can mean many things, not much of a switch for Russians or Serbs or Poles

Many Russians and other Eastern Europeans make the transition well. I know several holding various positions. Fit right in.

For me, it comes down to two.

The only thing I love as much as a Scottish accent is hearing those lovely Wahines up in French Polynesia talk to me.

In the 14+ years we’ve been living in New Zealand, I have been asked hundreds of times where I come from.  At least 9 out of 10 times, people will ask “Where in Canada are you from?” instead of “where in the US are your from?”

For what it’s worth, people always tell me how much they love my accent.  I tell ‘em that I don’t have an accent… THEY do!

Fun fact… when we moved here, our kids were 2 and 5 years old.  The 2 year old wasn’t even really talking at that point.

Fast forward to now.  My daughter is 16 and totally sounds like an American.  Barely any Kiwi accent at all, which I think is a shame.

That said, the Kiwi accent is far nicer on the ears than a fair dinkum Aussie accent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/24/2019 at 11:01 AM, HopsGuy said:

One of my oldest friends moved to Australia ~30 years ago. We talk on occasion on VOIP. His accent isn’t full on “Crocodile Dundee” but you’d never think he was ever an American. It’s kinda funny when he uses words I hadn’t heard in that context. Been a while. I should call him.

Grew up in WNY, then school in Cincinnati. After college I moved to Hilton Head, SC and lived there for years, working with people from all over SC. The first time I caught the word “y’all” coming out of my mouth I gasped! But it does happen......

On 10/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, Gugny said:

There was a girl at work a few years ago.  Had a South African accent.  And a hooker name.  And she was smoking hot.

I'll go with South African.

Is this because of the actual accent, or your proclivity for hookers? 

Edited by Augie