Demarcus Ware Talks Bills on Rich Eisen Show

DefenseWins

16 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

He says Bills have the Best Chance to beat the Patriots...

A few others have said that, including Deion Sanders. The first Bills/Pats game must have made an impression on them. This is coming from two former players who understand the game.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 4

While I like getting some national recognition, he says that they make the other team one dimensional and have to pass because of their great run D. That tells me he doesn't really know what he's talking about given how this D has played vs. the pass the past 1.5 seasons. If there's a weakness on this D it's stopping teams that smash it between the tackles.

• Like (+1) 3

He said the Bills don't make mistakes and highlighted our run D. He added some random platitudes about steak and potatoes. He had no idea what he was talking about. I appreciate people complimenting the Bills, but this interview segment was a joke. 

MDH - Apparently we had the same train of thought.

Edited by Westside Madness
  • Like (+1) 2

I am sorry but Demarcus Ware's appears to be an uninformed opinion - he says we are a great run defense and dont make mistakes and make offenses one dimensional (pass heavy).

The most interesting tidbit from that segment was delivered by Rich Eisen. He said he has heard rumors that the Pats are going after a real big fish before the trade deadline. Much bigger than Mohamed Sanu.

15 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

He said the Bills don't make mistakes and highlighted our run D. He added some random platitudes about steak and potatoes. He had no idea what he was talking about. I appreciate people complimenting the Bills, but this interview segment was a joke. 

MDH - Apparently we had the same train of thought.

The Bills are seventh in the league against the run (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2019&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go).  That makes the opponent one dimensional. 

Look, you can criticize this team until the cows come home but they are 5 and 1. The QB is 9 and 1 when giving the ball up one time or less. They are well coached.  The one thing that people say is lacking is the long ball (I would rather they CONTROL the ball to give our D a break), but Josh is only 6% off from last year on passes longer than 20 yards per WGR. 

To me, Demarcus is spot on. 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

The Bills are seventh in the league against the run (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2019&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go).  That makes the opponent one dimensional. 

Look, you can criticize this team until the cows come home but they are 5 and 1. The QB is 9 and 1 when giving the ball up one time or less. They are well coached.  The one thing that people say is lacking is the long ball (I would rather they CONTROL the ball to give our D a break), but Josh is only 6% off from last year on passes longer than 20 yards per WGR. 

I thought everbody was looking for praise around here! Geez, now that the Bills get some, no one feels worthy! lol!

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills reason for being able to contain the Patriots on offense comes down to 5 players all in the back 7. Poyer and Hyde being a threat and making sure everything stays in front of them allows Tre White to guard their best outside WR(Sanu or Gordon) and shut him down.

The real key guys tho are Edmunds and Milano. Milano being able to cover their shifty RBs on flat and wheel routes as well as Edmunds assisting the slot guy on Edelman or whatever TE now. 

Not many teams have all the athleticism is the back 7, in particular the LBing corps to take away all of their options. 

Now we have to figure out how to score against them

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I am sorry but Demarcus Ware's appears to be an uninformed opinion - he says we are a great run defense and dont make mistakes and make offenses one dimensional (pass heavy).

The most interesting tidbit from that segment was delivered by Rich Eisen. He said he has heard rumors that the Pats are going after a real big fish before the trade deadline. Much bigger than Mohamed Sanu.

I'll trust Ware's football knowledge over IgotBILLStopay.  Thanks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

A few others have said that, including Deion Sanders. The first Bills/Pats game must have made an impression on them. This is coming from two former players who understand the game.

The Bills would have punched in that 1st and goal in the 4th quarter if Allen was on the field.  I am not saying we would have won the game, but we would have made the Pats sweat it out.

28 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

and scoring points.  We have not been able to convert our drives to TDs too often.  Against the Patriots in the 1st half, we drove to their side of the field only to turn over the ball.   Against Miami, we scored FGs and that came back to scare them.   That is tied with Accuracy of the QB...Allen is still a work in progress (albeit a good one)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

The Bills would have punched in that 1st and goal in the 4th quarter if Allen was on the field.  I am not saying we would have won the game, but we would have made the Pats sweat it out.

We will never know if Allen would have rallied the Bills back, but I would like to think that he would have. Ware did have a slightly inflated view of the Bills defense, but another message that he may have been trying to convey was that the Bills team as a whole, was a legitimate threat to the Pats.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MDH said:

While I like getting some national recognition, he says that they make the other team one dimensional and have to pass because of their great run D. That tells me he doesn't really know what he's talking about given how this D has played vs. the pass the past 1.5 seasons. If there's a weakness on this D it's stopping teams that smash it between the tackles.

Not this season.  And this season is all that matters.

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills reason for being able to contain the Patriots on offense comes down to 5 players all in the back 7. Poyer and Hyde being a threat and making sure everything stays in front of them allows Tre White to guard their best outside WR(Sanu or Gordon) and shut him down.

The real key guys tho are Edmunds and Milano. Milano being able to cover their shifty RBs on flat and wheel routes as well as Edmunds assisting the slot guy on Edelman or whatever TE now. 

Not many teams have all the athleticism is the back 7, in particular the LBing corps to take away all of their options. 

Now we have to figure out how to score against them

It's not like NE was lighting up the score board. 

Their defense has been ridiculous keeping every team but the Allen led Bills out of the end zone. That being said, they have given up defensive scores to teams.

I think Jones may have had one TD toss post Allen game too.

Belichick prob has a sour taste in his mouth after the last win they squeeked out against us, he will want a signature beat down to try to ensure the Bills remember their place and get back under their AFC East rock.

That crushing of the Jets and Darnold's confidence was a message about who owns this division.

The goat is not going to roll over and concede anything, a team is going to have to step up and take it from them.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Hopefully they're not going after Trent Williams.  

13 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'll trust Ware's football knowledge over IgotBILLStopay.  Thanks

True dat! Me too.  ?

Just to clarify - when I said uninformed opinion, I did not mean general football knowledge - but knowledge about how the Bills defense has being actually doing on the field. I dont think DeMarcus Ware has watched, recorded and rewatched every single play from every single Bills game like many on this board. You know what I mean?

Here are the statistics for the Bills pass and run defense: 

In yards per rush attempt Bills are 10th at 3.9

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-yards-per-rush-attempt

In yards per pass attempt Bills are 3rd at 5.5

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-yards-per-pass-attempt

Of course, the above stats do not factor quality of opposition into account. So here is how each of our opponents' offense fared overall in yds per rush attempt and yds per pass attempt

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-rush-attempt

NY Giants 4.9

Tennessee 3.8

Miami 3.3

New England (this was a big surprise to me) 3.3

NY Jets 3.2

Cincinnati 2.9

Allowing 3.9 yards per rushing attempt, we have actually done worse in rush defense than other teams against 5 of our six opponents. 

Looking at pass defense,

here is how our opponents' offenses have fared in passing offense:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-pass-attempt

New England 7.0

Tennessee 7.0

Cincinnati 6.2

N.Y. Giants 5.9

Miami 5.4

NY Jets 4.6

Allowing just 5.5 yds per game, we are better in pass defense than other teams against 4 of our six opponents.

Clearly the statistics indicate that pass defense, as compared to run defense, is where our real strength is.