How to beat Cover 0 - New England

Protocal69

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

It's infuriating!

Like, you don't have time for your receivers to run 10-15 yard routes when they're sending the house. 

Screens, draws, quick slants and a bludgeoning running game would help.

The only team that possessed any of these elements against NE, was Buffalo.

And if Allen didn’t get KO’Ed, the Bills might win that game. A

• Like (+1) 1

As much as I hate to say this, the Patriots D is the best in the league right now.  If they keep playing like that I don't see anyone beating them.  I'm an amateur like everybody else, but you can tell when everyone on a defense is playing together and on the same page.  Everyone on the D understands the scheme and everyone knows what everyone else is going to do.  When they're playing like that it doesn't really matter what adjustments an offense makes.

• Like (+1) 1

It won't matter what the Bills do to prepare if Belichek is watching them practice.  They have been caught before and I THINK they are still doing it one way or another. 

Belichek is a Navy brat, surveillance is historically the primary Naval strategy isn't it?

Run real practices indoors and run fake practices outdoors.   That strategy won the Eagles a Superbowl against the Pats.   

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think he was claiming that "Beat Cover 0" is all that a team's gotta do for the W

Sure.... I guess my thought is cover 0 works for New England because it forces low percentage throws. Add the Belichick scheme where he mans his best corner on the opposing best(or sometimes second best wr) the brackets the other side, clogs the middle and sends disguised pass rushes... it becomes even lower percentage. 

Only the best QB and WR tandems can take it on well.  And the list of good experienced QBs isn’t backfilling. 

I do think the the other way to beat it, is spread 5 wide and attack the best match up. Bubble screen, jet sweeps.  Got spread it out enough to take away some of the ability to disguise.  Honestly I’d look for film on how Beli attack’s cover 0. It would propel help explain how the defense work in his head. 

So you might hit here or there, but it’s not going to win games. 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Amendola used to kill us with those catches on 3rd down late in the game

2013 Season Opener comes to mind.   EJ had Pats down 21-20   3-8 with 1.20 on the clock he makes a 10yd catch..    2015 week 2 Bills Down 37-32 and momentum he makes a 29 yd catch over A Williams.. I was at both games and he killed us both games 

2 hours ago, gobillsinytown said:

As much as I hate to say this, the Patriots D is the best in the league right now.  If they keep playing like that I don't see anyone beating them.  I'm an amateur like everybody else, but you can tell when everyone on a defense is playing together and on the same page.  Everyone on the D understands the scheme and everyone knows what everyone else is going to do.  When they're playing like that it doesn't really matter what adjustments an offense makes.

Returned 10 starters which they haven't done for years on that side. 

5 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

you beat the cover 0 with screens, Jet sweeps, play actions and lots of pre-snap motion. Also, you need to keep a RB in the backfield. The Jets kept going empty backfield, which is a recipe for disaster.

Jet sweep right into the blitzing defenders off tHe edge?  Yeah that’s incorrect.  Cover zero pressure relies on your hot WR beating his man 1v1 and the QB recognizing it and delivering an accurate ball. 

Edited by CaptnCoke11

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Jet sweep right into the blitzing defenders off tHe edge?  Yeah that’s incorrect.  Cover zero pressure relies on your hot WR beating his man 1v1 and the QB recognizing it and delivering an accurate ball. 

Who said the defender is blitzing off that edge? That's for the QB to read pre-snap. Also, there's always someone rushing the edge when you run a Jet Sweep. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread since it’s basically the issue the Bills offense had with Cleveland and that they will continue seeing until they beat it. 

There has has to be some play that counters it. And I’m not talking about chucking an arm punt up for the fastest guy to get to. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Was mentioned in the presser by Daboll, Josh made correct read and described the Wr then does a go route or back shoulder based on the single corners play.  The CB play set up back shoulder as the executed vs Jets and in other times they just missed on this one 

Brown said he messed up.  As for the it Beasley was wide open the read is to the one on one match w/Brown

its not a deep throw it’s an untermediate route that Josh and Smoke had success w before that one. 

3 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Was mentioned in the presser by Daboll, Josh made correct read and described the Wr then does a go route or back shoulder based on the single corners play.  The CB play set up back shoulder as the executed vs Jets and in other times they just missed on this one 

Brown said he messed up.  As for the it Beasley was wide open the read is to the one on one match w/Brown

its not a deep throw it’s an untermediate route that Josh and Smoke had success w before that one. 

Beasley said it previously: "It's not the play calling, its the Jimmys & Joes." 

Can you imagine Brady and [fill in any Patriot's receiver you like] not being on the same page?

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Bumping this thread since it’s basically the issue the Bills offense had with Cleveland and that they will continue seeing until they beat it. 

There has has to be some play that counters it. And I’m not talking about chucking an arm punt up for the fastest guy to get to. 

Actually, I just watched the Chiefs do a variation of what you described Vs TEN and it worked like a charm. Didn’t seem like anything Allen couldn’t do either. They used motion to draw a defender to the right side of the field , leaving the left side wide open. Hill ran a corner route to the open ( left) side. Perfect, and uncoverable according to Romo. One read, two second throw. Another WR was open in the middle of the EZ, but looked like Mahomes knew he was throwing the corner the whole time. There were about 7 mins left in the 3rd quarter. Perfectly designed cover zero beater. Any speed WR could beat that coverage, although obviously Hill is great at it. Would have been an easier completion than the route they tried vs CLE imo 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Actually, I just watched the Chiefs do a variation of what you described Vs TEN and it worked like a charm. Didn’t seem like anything Allen couldn’t do either. They used motion to draw a defender to the right side of the field , leaving the left side wide open. Hill ran a corner route to the open ( left) side. Perfect, and uncoverable according to Romo. One read, two second throw. Another WR was open in the middle of the EZ, but looked like Mahomes knew he was throwing the corner the whole time. There were about 7 mins left in the 3rd quarter. Perfectly designed cover zero beater. Any speed WR could beat that coverage, although obviously Hill is great at it. Would have been an easier completion than the route they tried vs CLE imo 

motion works beautifully against this coverage and i agree, it is way better than the back shoulder or over the top throw (we are 3 for 10 on them against Cover 0). I think you need to show that you can consistently do both and to date, the only other time I recall us using motion was the Singletary play earlier in the drive where the pass was deflected - he would have had a massive gain. I put the miss on that on Josh throwing it into the defender instead of putting enough air under it - he panicked and rushed it.

I still feel like WR is such a glaring weakness for us, we have 2

• Like (+1) 1