R Talbot (via ESPN) - bills on the hunt for a WR

Reed83HOF

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'm going to say guys like Golden Tate (NYG), Nelson Agholor (PHI), Devante Parker (MIA), AJ Green (CIN) and Corey Davis (TEN) are some names coming up in talks. I just can't see AJ Green though with the injury.

There was twitter video of AJ practicing in pads yesterday and he went on their London trip.. buy low !!!!!!  Lots of talk that he really wants out of Cinci, so they will want an asset before he walks in FA at end of year. They are fighting for the #1 draft pick, so why wouldn’t they deal him even if it’s for less value than they want because it beats nothing. Some really good smart team like the Saints, Packers, or Pats will sign him if we don’t.....

Edited by Locomark

37 minutes ago, Locomark said:

What about Godwin in Tampa ? Would you trade a first and get back a 3rd for him? He is on pace for 1700 yards. 

Actually, I like Godwin. I'd be happy to get him. I'd give up our #2 and maybe something else to get him. (just not the #1)

Godwin by the way still has a year left on his rookie contract. If we could trade for him and sign him to an extension I'd be very pleased.

Edited by DefenseWins

I thought Kenny Stills was the guy to get, perfect fit with Josh, but that ship has sailed.  Will Fuller is another I'd give up a good pick for, but he is hurt. The other guy, at least in my mind is Robbie Anderson, but I wonder if the Jets will trade in division or not. 

23 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not sure where people got the idea that Evans is available as well?

Evans is at least not on his rookie contract anymore, but yeah, I would be genuinely shocked if they traded him either (unless they got like multiple first round picks or close to it).

If you think Tampa wants to move on from Jameis, it would make sense for them to keep both of them so that their new QB has arguably the best WR duo in the league to work with (especially considering they have nobody behind them at the WR position). If you think they might still have faith in Jameis, it would make sense for them to keep both so that they can continue trying to get the absolute best out of him.

• Like (+1) 1

Man, guys, if you look around the league it is starting to be a buyers' market.  Teams are getting better in these trades and not giving up a whole lot...well, unless you are the Rams.

I don't want the Bills to overpay, but I will obviously reserve the judgment until they actual make a move.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man, guys, if you look around the league it is starting to be a buyers' market.  Teams are getting better in these trades and not giving up a whole lot...well, unless you are the Rams.

I don't want the Bills to overpay, but I will obviously reserve the judgment until they actual make a move.

If the Bills do make a trade, it will interesting to see how it effects their 2020 draft. Are they seeking intermediate help for a season or two, or will they seek players young enough to grow with the current team? Beane has to be taking a really hard look in assessing this team.

19 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

YUP

image.thumb.png.54ad5e09b7687e50bf173f2a0d2b15f5.png

Route running: It's hard to argue against Allen being the best route runner in the league. Allen has elite, short-area quickness that allows him to create separation at the top of the route, whether he's in the slot or on the perimeter.

According Next Gen Stats, over half of Allen's receptions came on passes where he created at least 3 yards of separation. That's impressive.

"I get open against any coverage," Allen said. "I don't see anybody covering, or no two people covering me."

For me, Brown also has to be in the conversation because he consistently creates separation, particularly with his ability to get off press coverage. I also like Doug Baldwin of the Seattle Seahawks.

Hands: Hard to go with anyone other than Larry Fitzgerald here. In the last three years, according to ESPN Stats & Information, Fitzgerald has 325 receptions for 3,394 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns, and just six drops. Brown also is impressive with just eight drops over the past three seasons. Allen had six drops just in 2017.

Run after catch: According to ESPN Stats & Information, Detroit Lions receiver Golden Tate leads the league in yards after the catch over the last three seasons with 1,764. Miami Dolphins receiver Jarvis Landry (1,719) is second, followed by Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce in a surprise third (1,580).

Last season, Tate led all receivers with 629 yards after the catch. Allen was third with 513 yards. Both Tate and Allen are similar in that they are like running backs once they catch the ball out in open space and consistently make defenders miss. Beckham also belongs in the conversation, but I'll take Tate here.

Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen has been the NFL’s most productive pass catcher this season, and it isn’t even close.

Allen has a league-leading 29 catches, a league-leading 404 receiving yards, a league-leading 20 receiving first downs and a league-leading eight catches of 20 yards or more.

The 27-year-old Allen has made the Pro Bowl each of the last two years, but his big start this year has him on pace for the best season of his career, by far. He has at least eight catches and at least 98 receiving yards in all three games this season.

Allen is, through three games, the best receiver in the league.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-keenan-allens-unmatched-route-running-skillset-is-easily-one-of-the-nfls-best

It’s no secret that Allen has been one of the NFL’s most potent route-runners in recent years, and he’s often doing it against opposing teams’ No. 1 cornerback. It doesn’t always work out in Allen’s favor, though. New England Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore held him to one reception on five targets (granted, it did go for a touchdown), and Cincinnati Bengals corner William Jackson III limited Allen to one catch on three targets for one yard.

When Allen gets going, though, he’s nearly unstoppable. Against the Baltimore RavensJimmy Smith, the Denver Broncos’ Chris Harris Jr. and the Pittsburgh SteelersJoe Haden — all considered to have at least shared the responsibility of being their respective team’s No. 1 corner in 2018 — Allen was ruthless. To the tune of 12 catches on 15 combined targets against the trio, he racked up 143 yards and two touchdowns.

The point is, you don’t have to watch much film before finding a clip of Allen turning a defensive back around or darting past them at the line of scrimmage with his innate quickness.

In PFF’s prototypical wide receivers list, Allen was tabbed as the NFL’s model route-runner due to his unmatched ability to create separation and then produce on those plays. On routes when Allen had at least a step of separation or more during the 2018 regular season, he caught the fourth-most first downs (51), produced the third-most yards per route run (3.6) and had the highest completion percentage (93.8%). In nearly every meaningful category relating to route-running, Allen was near the top. 

Good information on Allen. It reads 

3 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

Unless either Mike Evans or Mike Williams becomes available no way Beane trades his #1 pick, nor should he. The Bills are having a fine season and barring injury to Josh Allen they should be favorites to grab a wild card slot but they are not one player away from a Super Bowl appearance. There is no way that A J Green is worth a #1 at this stage of his career. He is a 31 yr old player trying to recover from torn ligaments in his ankle, whose best days are most likely behind him. 

The highest I would go with AJ Green is a 4th rd pick. He is 31 and is coming off another injury, plus we are taking on that contract. 

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

What about Godwin in Tampa ? Would you trade a first and get back a 3rd for him? He is on pace for 1700 yards. 

Absolutely worth a first he is extremely talented and young and we would have some time to lock him up.

Godwin plays the slot. He's really good, but the reason he's utterly dominating statistically is that Evans draws the CB1 on the outside, and he works against nickel corners in the slot. Great player, but slot WR isn't as much of a need for us as a true WR1 on the outside.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The highest I would go with AJ Green is a 4th rd pick. He is 31 and is coming off another injury, plus we are taking on that contract. 

If considered healthy which I realize is still a gamble. I'm expecting the Bills young GM to top the 3's with a 2.  Then If all goes well manufacture the Buffalo Bills into another mid round selection.

The time is now...

34 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Sanu just got traded for a 2.  I think the Bengals hang up the phone laughing on a 4th.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Sanu just got traded for a 2.  I think the Bengals hang up the phone laughing on a 4th.

They're definitely not taking a 4th back for Green when they get a comp 2021 3rd if he walks this offseason.  I could see them trading him for a 2020 3rd though.  I don't know who's offering a 2nd for a contract year, older, oft-injured AJ Green. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Pretty sure they will get a 3rd round compensatory pick if he walks so would need to at least offer that 

3 hours ago, Locomark said:

There was twitter video of AJ practicing in pads yesterday and he went on their London trip.. buy low !!!!!!  Lots of talk that he really wants out of Cinci, so they will want an asset before he walks in FA at end of year. They are fighting for the #1 draft pick, so why wouldn’t they deal him even if it’s for less value than they want because it beats nothing. Some really good smart team like the Saints, Packers, or Pats will sign him if we don’t.....

Part of me says it will be awesome to see AJ Green in a Bills uniform but the realist in me says he's not the same AJ Green anymore. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Part of me says it will be awesome to see AJ Green in a Bills uniform but the realist in me says he's not the same AJ Green anymore. 

The numbers while on the field before the last injury suggested little to no drop off.

Emphasis on before the last injury...

21 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Pretty sure they will get a 3rd round compensatory pick if he walks so would need to at least offer that 

Not that simple. Unless they already know they plan to dump more players and not sign any free agents in the offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

The numbers while on the field before the last injury suggested little to no drop off.

Emphasis on before the last injury...

It's a gamble. I wouldn't offer more than a third, but I think I'd offer that. Only player that tempts me to spend a first is Von Miller on the other side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1