Jump to content
Reed83HOF

R Talbot (via ESPN) - bills on the hunt for a WR

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  While I really hope we don’t trade our 1st or 2nd rd picks, if that’s what it takes to get a WR that can REALLY help, I’m in.  Sucks that Duke got hurt last week and we didn’t see more of him.  He might be that guy....but he might not be.  We’re 5-1.  I don’t know of a 5-1 team that doesn’t think they they’re super bowl contenders. 2020 Draft picks don’t help us win a super bowl in 2019 unless we trade them.  
 

IMO, the question is:  How close does Beane think this team is to winning this year.

I think it’s time to stop pretending these JAGs and cast offs can be the ”guy.” Carolina pretended that having tomato cans at WR was sufficient for years and they only made it to one SuperBowl and wasted much of Cam’s career.

 

You just need playmakers. Brady can beat you with anybody. Everyone else can’t. If Beane and co thought a slow UDFA CFL player was the answer at WR, they need their heads examined.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

AJ Green will be a Bill by Monday, heard it here first. 


AJ Green will NOT be a Bill by Monday.

 

You heard it here first.

  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

 

Why in the world would you post this? It literally says in his profile, "I'm not the former running back."

It is his son and dad liked it

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think it’s time to stop pretending these JAGs and cast offs can be the ”guy.” Carolina pretended that having tomato cans at WR was sufficient for years and they only made it to one SuperBowl and wasted much of Cam’s career.

 

You just need playmakers. Brady can beat you with anybody. Everyone else can’t. If Beane and co thought a slow UDFA CFL player was the answer at WR, they need their heads examined.

I don’t really think we need a “true #1”.  I think John Brown is quite possibly the most underrated player in football.  We stole him in free agency.  He gets open and catches everything.  
 

I just don’t think we’re going to run an offense that utilizes their “#1” to give them 100+ catches and 1300 yards.  I think Brown is doing just about as well as any other “#1” would be.

 

I think we need a bigger Red zone threat WR.  Not necessarily a “a #1”.  Although duke could be that guy.

 

Other than Aj, maybe Marvin Jones?  Would they trade him?  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  While I really hope we don’t trade our 1st or 2nd rd picks, if that’s what it takes to get a WR that can REALLY help, I’m in.  Sucks that Duke got hurt last week and we didn’t see more of him.  He might be that guy....but he might not be.  We’re 5-1.  I don’t know of a 5-1 team that doesn’t think that they’re super bowl contenders. 2020 Draft picks don’t help us win a super bowl in 2019 unless we trade them.  
 

IMO, the question is:  How close does Beane think this team is to winning this year.

Thank you! That is what I have been saying all week! Where does Beane see this team at this point? How close are they? What moves must be made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, njbuff said:


AJ Green will NOT be a Bill by Monday.

 

You heard it here first.

So you're going on record and saying it will happen by Sunday. Got it!

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the Bills been actually linked to any player yet thats currently available? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

So you're going on record and saying it will happen by Sunday. Got it!


Ummmm

 

not at all

 

🤓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t really think we need a “true #1”.  I think John Brown is quite possibly the most underrated player in football.  We stole him in free agency.  He gets open and catches everything.  
 

I just don’t think we’re going to run an offense that utilizes their “#1” to give them 100+ catches and 1300 yards.  I think Brown is doing just about as well as any other “#1” would be.

 

I think we need a bigger Red zone threat WR.  Not necessarily a “a #1”.  Although duke could be that guy.

 

Other than Aj, maybe Marvin Jones?  Would they trade him?  

He’s getting $9M per which is pretty good. 

 

The #1 thing is a meme. Playmakers are playmakers. Having one good receiver is a good thing. Having two is better. The Bills have one. Beasley is a slot/short route guy but he can’t play on the boundary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Have the Bills been actually linked to any player yet thats currently available? 

 

Well, they were apparently negotiating for Emmanuel Sanders (along with New Orleans) but were outbid by the Niners. Beane has been remarkably good at keeping a lid on things. There's rarely any leaks or things like that. Aside from Sanders, though, I haven't seen anything else linking them to any player aside from speculation. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

He’s getting $9M per which is pretty good. 

 

The #1 thing is a meme. Playmakers are playmakers. Having one good receiver is a good thing. Having two is better. The Bills have one. Beasley is a slot/short route guy but he can’t play on the boundary. 

considering what sammy watkins is getting paid, Brown is a steal.  I’ll take brown over sammy every day of the week.
 

And the jury is still out on Duke.  He’s really the wild card.  We could be ok if he turns out to be a healthy reliable target that can get open.  Having WRs that can be effective at the route L’s that brown and Beasley are deficient.  
 

edit: mckenzie is a “playmaker” as well.  His importance to our offense can’t be understated imo. 

Edited by NewEra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Have the Bills been actually linked to any player yet thats currently available? 

Emmanuel Sanders, so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

considering what sammy watkins is getting paid, Brown is a steal.  I’ll take brown over sammy every day of the week.
 

And the jury is still out on Duke.  He’s really the wild card.  We could be ok if he turns out to be a healthy reliable target that can get open.  Having WRs that can be effective at the route L’s that brown and Beasley are deficient.  
 

edit: mckenzie is a “playmaker” as well.  His importance to our offense can’t be understated imo. 

Oh yeah, Watkins contract is horrendous though. You can see the NFL arms race in it though. Having a guy who can take it 50 yards or multiple guys is worth its weight in gold. That’s the guy the Bills need. McK is too small and too gadgety. I like him but he’s a role player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

considering what sammy watkins is getting paid, Brown is a steal.  I’ll take brown over sammy every day of the week.
 

And the jury is still out on Duke.  He’s really the wild card.  We could be ok if he turns out to be a healthy reliable target that can get open.  Having WRs that can be effective at the route L’s that brown and Beasley are deficient.  
 

edit: mckenzie is a “playmaker” as well.  His importance to our offense can’t be understated imo. 

Well if the Bills are on the hunt for a wr, the whole league is certainly aware by now. Perhaps this is causing other gm's to rethink their rosters. Maybe their is an unexpected wr on his way to Buffalo.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Green is a great receiver. My one and only worry with him is how much he would care about this season when he stands to make untold guaranteed millions as a ufa. I think that whether or not he would go all out is a tossup.

Next year might be the deepest wide receiver draft I have ever seen. We might be able to pick up 2 very good wrs. if we keep our picks.

Indeed, a tough call for 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Green is a great receiver. My one and only worry with him is how much he would care about this season when he stands to make untold guaranteed millions as a ufa. I think that whether or not he would go all out is a tossup.

Next year might be the deepest wide receiver draft I have ever seen. We might be able to pick up 2 very good wrs. if we keep our picks.

Indeed, a tough call for Beane.

Here's the issue. WR is one of the biggest learning curve positions in the NFL . They don't have 2 or 3 seasons to wait for the rookies to do well. This Defense is Championship caliber right now. Is the offense one stud receiver away from championship caliber? ( I don't think it is) 

If they think so they give up draft capitol to get their boy right now today . if not this year win it all  then next. We know how fast that window closes. I think it's next year but I'm sitting on a couch so...

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

Here's the issue. WR is one of the biggest learning curve positions in the NFL . They don't have 2 or 3 seasons to wait for the rookies to do well. This Defense is Championship caliber right now. Is the offense one stud receiver away from championship caliber? ( I don't think it is) 

If they think so they give up draft capitol to get their boy right now today . if not this year win it all  then next. We know how fast that window closes. I think it's next year but I'm sitting on a couch so...

I agree with the learning curve aspect. I do think this offense is another stud receiver away from championship caliber. If this offense can produce 20 pts a game, this defense can hold teams to 17 or less. A Von Miller or even Carlos Dunlap on defense can make this unit more dominant. I'd love for the Bills to go pilfer the Bengals roster. Green/Boyd, Dunlap would make this team a serious threat in the AFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think it’s time to stop pretending these JAGs and cast offs can be the ”guy.” Carolina pretended that having tomato cans at WR was sufficient for years and they only made it to one SuperBowl and wasted much of Cam’s career.

 

You just need playmakers. Brady can beat you with anybody. Everyone else can’t. If Beane and co thought a slow UDFA CFL player was the answer at WR, they need their heads examined.

Even Brady cannot win with Nobody's....He still had  elite players in Edelman and Rob.  Hopefully, the Bills found one in Brown,  Colesly and Knox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BeefCurtns said:

Here's the issue. WR is one of the biggest learning curve positions in the NFL . They don't have 2 or 3 seasons to wait for the rookies to do well. This Defense is Championship caliber right now. Is the offense one stud receiver away from championship caliber? ( I don't think it is) 

If they think so they give up draft capitol to get their boy right now today . if not this year win it all  then next. We know how fast that window closes. I think it's next year but I'm sitting on a couch so...

Good points. I would hate to be inside Beanes's head right now. When is the right time to decide the right time! Is this team ready now or a year away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that the Chiefs got Hill back, I'm sure they'll be cool to part ways with Sammy for 5th or something ;)

If not, I hear Kelvin Benjamin is a great redzone threat, and he's available! Get it done OBD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BeefCurtns said:

Here's the issue. WR is one of the biggest learning curve positions in the NFL . They don't have 2 or 3 seasons to wait for the rookies to do well. This Defense is Championship caliber right now. Is the offense one stud receiver away from championship caliber? ( I don't think it is) 

If they think so they give up draft capitol to get their boy right now today . if not this year win it all  then next. We know how fast that window closes. I think it's next year but I'm sitting on a couch so...

 

Good points, but at the same time, good organizations can build a strong foundation that keeps that window open for as long as you have that franchise QB.

The Pats window hasn't been closed for 20 years, so you really never know. The Seahawks, Saints, Steelers, Chargers, Packers, Vikings, Chiefs, etc. have all been relevant or at least in the conversation for quite a while, even if they have their down years. 

Hopefully the Bills can become like that and have a strong enough core that we just have to rotate parts & assemble players on rookie contracts that can keep your prospects up. All of that is contingent on having a stable QB though.

So it depends on how you view Josh. If he's going to be a guy that can't ever elevate the talent around him & needs to be propped up by skill position players, then no, I don't think you try to push for a big trade now.

Yes, the defense is great now, but you have to be the ELITE of the elite to have one of those seasons where the defense dominates everyone on the way to a Super Bowl while the offense just does enough not to lose. The way the offense turns the ball over, this defense won't have the opportunity to do that.

Not to mention the defense is relatively young and can still stay here for a while. There's no reason we can't resign guys who's contracts expire while still improving even further. I don't think our defense has hit its full potential yet, and can still get much better, which is a scary & awesome thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He was fantastic last year before suffering a toe injury. He was playing at an all-pro level through his first 8 games. He's only 31 and can still play. 

 

I understand your viewpoint on Green last year, but he has not played a down of football this year, and presumably the injury that has sidelined him has interfered with his being in "game shape" to some extent.

 

We seem to be talking about the 8-9 game rental of an elite WR returning from injury (which is not the same thing as an elite WR in game shape and ready to rumble).  In addition, Green has been a Bengal playing in a WCO his entire career.  We'd bring him in midseason into an offense with very different terminology where a number of players struggle to transition and where along with learning the plays, he'd have to develop timing and chemistry with a new QB

 

I could be wrong, often am, but I don't think Beane will see the value here.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Kelvin Benjiman still available? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Not to mention the defense is relatively young and can still stay here for a while. There's no reason we can't resign guys who's contracts expire while still improving even further. I don't think our defense has hit its full potential yet, and can still get much better, which is a scary & awesome thought.

We could lose the following starters on defense after this season

Shaq Lawson -  FA

Jordan Phillips -  FA

 Jordan Poyer  -  FA 

Alexander -  Retiring 

 

And the following could get cut:

Trent Murphy 

 

That is a lot of potential changes to the Defense in 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I understand your viewpoint on Green last year, but he has not played a down of football this year, and presumably the injury that has sidelined him has interfered with his being in "game shape" to some extent.

 

We seem to be talking about the 8-9 game rental of an elite WR returning from injury (which is not the same thing as an elite WR in game shape and ready to rumble).  In addition, Green has been a Bengal playing in a WCO his entire career.  We'd bring him in midseason into an offense with very different terminology where a number of players struggle to transition and where along with learning the plays, he'd have to develop timing and chemistry with a new QB

 

I could be wrong, often am, but I don't think Beane will see the value here.

Myself personally, If a trade was made for Green the move would be more about the playoffs and beyond IMO. Giving Green plenty of time to develop chemistry with Allen along with getting acclimated to the new system. ( IMO )

 

On the other hand as easily as Beane sent Sammy Watkins packing the value of an elite WR may not be as high in the young GM's mind as I would like to believe. 

 

 

Edited by Figster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...