R Talbot (via ESPN) - bills on the hunt for a WR

Reed83HOF

9 hours ago, CommonCents said:

If the Bucs were smart they would consider it, their defense is improved. Dumping Evans would allow them to replace Jameis and add a few more significant pieces in the same draft. Godwin looks like the real deal, he could fill out WR1.

Maybe.  Don't forget, in this theoretical circumstance, that other teams might be willing to pay more of a price if Evans were available, for the very reason you stated.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

YUP

image.thumb.png.54ad5e09b7687e50bf173f2a0d2b15f5.png

Route running: It's hard to argue against Allen being the best route runner in the league. Allen has elite, short-area quickness that allows him to create separation at the top of the route, whether he's in the slot or on the perimeter.

According Next Gen Stats, over half of Allen's receptions came on passes where he created at least 3 yards of separation. That's impressive.

"I get open against any coverage," Allen said. "I don't see anybody covering, or no two people covering me."

For me, Brown also has to be in the conversation because he consistently creates separation, particularly with his ability to get off press coverage. I also like Doug Baldwin of the Seattle Seahawks.

Hands: Hard to go with anyone other than Larry Fitzgerald here. In the last three years, according to ESPN Stats & Information, Fitzgerald has 325 receptions for 3,394 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns, and just six drops. Brown also is impressive with just eight drops over the past three seasons. Allen had six drops just in 2017.

Run after catch: According to ESPN Stats & Information, Detroit Lions receiver Golden Tate leads the league in yards after the catch over the last three seasons with 1,764. Miami Dolphins receiver Jarvis Landry (1,719) is second, followed by Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce in a surprise third (1,580).

Last season, Tate led all receivers with 629 yards after the catch. Allen was third with 513 yards. Both Tate and Allen are similar in that they are like running backs once they catch the ball out in open space and consistently make defenders miss. Beckham also belongs in the conversation, but I'll take Tate here.

Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen has been the NFL’s most productive pass catcher this season, and it isn’t even close.

Allen has a league-leading 29 catches, a league-leading 404 receiving yards, a league-leading 20 receiving first downs and a league-leading eight catches of 20 yards or more.

The 27-year-old Allen has made the Pro Bowl each of the last two years, but his big start this year has him on pace for the best season of his career, by far. He has at least eight catches and at least 98 receiving yards in all three games this season.

Allen is, through three games, the best receiver in the league.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-keenan-allens-unmatched-route-running-skillset-is-easily-one-of-the-nfls-best

It’s no secret that Allen has been one of the NFL’s most potent route-runners in recent years, and he’s often doing it against opposing teams’ No. 1 cornerback. It doesn’t always work out in Allen’s favor, though. New England Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore held him to one reception on five targets (granted, it did go for a touchdown), and Cincinnati Bengals corner William Jackson III limited Allen to one catch on three targets for one yard.

When Allen gets going, though, he’s nearly unstoppable. Against the Baltimore RavensJimmy Smith, the Denver Broncos’ Chris Harris Jr. and the Pittsburgh SteelersJoe Haden — all considered to have at least shared the responsibility of being their respective team’s No. 1 corner in 2018 — Allen was ruthless. To the tune of 12 catches on 15 combined targets against the trio, he racked up 143 yards and two touchdowns.

The point is, you don’t have to watch much film before finding a clip of Allen turning a defensive back around or darting past them at the line of scrimmage with his innate quickness.

In PFF’s prototypical wide receivers list, Allen was tabbed as the NFL’s model route-runner due to his unmatched ability to create separation and then produce on those plays. On routes when Allen had at least a step of separation or more during the 2018 regular season, he caught the fourth-most first downs (51), produced the third-most yards per route run (3.6) and had the highest completion percentage (93.8%). In nearly every meaningful category relating to route-running, Allen was near the top. 

Rivers >>> Winston 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Just thinking out loud here: the Bills have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2 5ths, and 3 6ths next year (9 picks in all). Let's assume for a second that the Bills pick between 9-12 (WC team). I'd consider trading a 2nd, a 5th, and a 6th for him with the expectation that you can move that ~10 overall pick for a late first and a late second. There are always teams that want to move up. That's a plausible outcome, and still leaves the Bills with 7 picks and one in every round except 7.

In your scenario, would signing him to an extension be a prerequisite?

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Just thinking out loud here: the Bills have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2 5ths, and 3 6ths next year (9 picks in all). Let's assume for a second that the Bills pick between 9-12 (WC team). I'd consider trading a 2nd, a 5th, and a 6th for him with the expectation that you can move that ~10 overall pick for a late first and a late second. There are always teams that want to move up. That's a plausible outcome, and still leaves the Bills with 7 picks and one in every round except 7.

Color me confused but if they are a wild card team they’ll be picking in the mid/upper 20s not 9-12 ??‍♂️

Playoff teams are slotted in picks 21-32 

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Color me confused but if they are a wild card team they’ll be picking in the mid/upper 20s not 9-12 ??‍♂️

Yea...not sure where Bill pulled that out there. They’ll probably be picking around 9 if they don’t win another game.

5 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

In this league, every player is on the market if the price is right.  It doesn't matter how many times we hear that a team won't trade a player, if the price is right, that team will make a move.

Exception being prime years HOF level QBs. No way a GM isn’t drawn and quartered in the street by fans without getting at least six 1st round picks, and even then he’s gonna have to check for car bombs. 

12 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

There's 12 teams that make the playoffs.

So playoff teams pick 21-32....you are correct sir.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

They get a comp pick if they let him walk.

Not true. Look up comp picks. It's about volume.

Nobody seems to know how that works these days, not totally your fault. 

Cincy has horrible FA's that nobody wants,  lol.

Edited by r00tabaga

11 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

Cincy manages to get multiple comp picks most years...

I think they know how to play this game..

I think they will get the comp pick for Green if they lose him in free agency...

They got 3 this year and 4 in the 2018 draft...

Edited by Aussie Joe

7 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

you are 100% correct. From overthecap:

compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1994, I’ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with an adjustment for playing time and a smaller adjustment for postseason honors.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Corey Davis has a few Eric Moulds traits that I would be happy to have. Not sure what the Titian’s would want for him. 

Compensation would be interesting.  I mean he's only 24 and was the 5th pick in the 2017 draft.

I listed some guys that I would think are available earlier, but more to the point of who I would target (assuming no big names), I'd potentially be eye-balling the following:

• Corey Davis - not sure he's actually available/might be too big of a name for this list, but I'd definitely be pursuing him
  • Donte Moncrief - Was quickly buried in Pittsburgh, but he's been solid for some other teams and can easily get out of his contract at the end of the year if it doesn't work out
  • Marqise Lee - Think this makes sense as a buy-low option. Another guy where you can get out of his contract at the end of the year if you aren't impressed but he's played at a much higher level than Moncrief in the past.
  • Anthony Miller - I don't particular believe the rumors, but I've seen his name floated as potentially being available and I think that would be a no-brainer if it's true.
  • Geronimo Allison - Free agent at the end of the year, seems like Lazard has surpassed him in Green Bay and I've heard they're interested in taking a swing at a bigger name WR in the trade market so I wouldn't be surprised if Geronimo is available.

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Corey Davis has a few Eric Moulds traits that I would be happy to have. Not sure what the Titian’s would want for him. 

I only wish they would give him up, he fits this team really well. Read this article the other day.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2019/10/03/titans-corey-davis-stats-fantasy-football/3789578002/

7 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Lol. It's a joke until he becomes a Bill.

Mike Evans would be an upgrade at WR obviously, but anything more than a 3rd and Bills' fans will begin losing sleep at night at some point, wondering if the team got its money's worth.

Mike Evans has never had a season with a catch % of 60 or better more than once and the season he did, it was slightly lower than Sammy Watkins' best season with the Bills; Sammy Watkins didn't feel like a go-to receiver even in his best season with Buffalo. 

I'm just sayin'.

It's definitely something to consider, but he definitely has had Winston and other QBs forcing him the ball to see if can get 50/50 balls or worse.  He has really good adjustment and goes after the ball - also consider his production.  He is almost always the best DBs assignment, and can be a matchup nightmare if you have other threats on the field.  Mike Evans isn't a black hole in the Bucs' passing game that kills drives.  He is a guy that QBs throw to regardless of whether he is covered.

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I listed some guys that I would think are available earlier, but more to the point of who I would target (assuming no big names), I'd potentially be eye-balling the following:

• Corey Davis - not sure he's actually available/might be too big of a name for this list, but I'd definitely be pursuing him
  • Donte Moncrief - Was quickly buried in Pittsburgh, but he's been solid for some other teams and can easily get out of his contract at the end of the year if it doesn't work out
  • Marqise Lee - Think this makes sense as a buy-low option. Another guy where you can get out of his contract at the end of the year if you aren't impressed but he's played at a much higher level than Moncrief in the past.
  • Anthony Miller - I don't particular believe the rumors, but I've seen his name floated as potentially being available and I think that would be a no-brainer if it's true.
  • Geronimo Allison - Free agent at the end of the year, seems like Lazard has surpassed him in Green Bay and I've heard they're interested in taking a swing at a bigger name WR in the trade market so I wouldn't be surprised if Geronimo is available.

Moncrief and Lee? Aww hell naw. :lol: Moncrief has been an underachiever no matter where he has been, plus he has the dropsies. Lee might as well be driving around a motorized cart like you see at the local grocery store because the guy in NEVER healthy. Allison? Meh. Corey Davis? Absolutely. Anthony Miller? He had a bunch of TD's last year, but this year he has been nothing more than a shadow on the field. Not sure what his deal is, but I can't see Chicago cutting bait in his 2nd season. 

55 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Doh! Yes, of course. Too many years of drafting between 9 and 12 has done that to me!

• Haha (+1) 1