R Talbot (via ESPN) - bills on the hunt for a WR

Reed83HOF

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t really think we need a “true #1”.  I think John Brown is quite possibly the most underrated player in football.  We stole him in free agency.  He gets open and catches everything.  

I just don’t think we’re going to run an offense that utilizes their “#1” to give them 100+ catches and 1300 yards.  I think Brown is doing just about as well as any other “#1” would be.

I think we need a bigger Red zone threat WR.  Not necessarily a “a #1”.  Although duke could be that guy.

Other than Aj, maybe Marvin Jones?  Would they trade him?  

He’s getting $9M per which is pretty good. 

The #1 thing is a meme. Playmakers are playmakers. Having one good receiver is a good thing. Having two is better. The Bills have one. Beasley is a slot/short route guy but he can’t play on the boundary. 

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Have the Bills been actually linked to any player yet thats currently available? 

Well, they were apparently negotiating for Emmanuel Sanders (along with New Orleans) but were outbid by the Niners. Beane has been remarkably good at keeping a lid on things. There's rarely any leaks or things like that. Aside from Sanders, though, I haven't seen anything else linking them to any player aside from speculation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

He’s getting $9M per which is pretty good. 

The #1 thing is a meme. Playmakers are playmakers. Having one good receiver is a good thing. Having two is better. The Bills have one. Beasley is a slot/short route guy but he can’t play on the boundary. 

considering what sammy watkins is getting paid, Brown is a steal.  I’ll take brown over sammy every day of the week.

And the jury is still out on Duke.  He’s really the wild card.  We could be ok if he turns out to be a healthy reliable target that can get open.  Having WRs that can be effective at the route L’s that brown and Beasley are deficient.  

edit: mckenzie is a “playmaker” as well.  His importance to our offense can’t be understated imo. 

Edited by NewEra

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

considering what sammy watkins is getting paid, Brown is a steal.  I’ll take brown over sammy every day of the week.

And the jury is still out on Duke.  He’s really the wild card.  We could be ok if he turns out to be a healthy reliable target that can get open.  Having WRs that can be effective at the route L’s that brown and Beasley are deficient.  

edit: mckenzie is a “playmaker” as well.  His importance to our offense can’t be understated imo. 

Oh yeah, Watkins contract is horrendous though. You can see the NFL arms race in it though. Having a guy who can take it 50 yards or multiple guys is worth its weight in gold. That’s the guy the Bills need. McK is too small and too gadgety. I like him but he’s a role player.

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Well if the Bills are on the hunt for a wr, the whole league is certainly aware by now. Perhaps this is causing other gm's to rethink their rosters. Maybe their is an unexpected wr on his way to Buffalo.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Green is a great receiver. My one and only worry with him is how much he would care about this season when he stands to make untold guaranteed millions as a ufa. I think that whether or not he would go all out is a tossup.

Next year might be the deepest wide receiver draft I have ever seen. We might be able to pick up 2 very good wrs. if we keep our picks.

Indeed, a tough call for 

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Green is a great receiver. My one and only worry with him is how much he would care about this season when he stands to make untold guaranteed millions as a ufa. I think that whether or not he would go all out is a tossup.

Next year might be the deepest wide receiver draft I have ever seen. We might be able to pick up 2 very good wrs. if we keep our picks.

Indeed, a tough call for Beane.

Here's the issue. WR is one of the biggest learning curve positions in the NFL . They don't have 2 or 3 seasons to wait for the rookies to do well. This Defense is Championship caliber right now. Is the offense one stud receiver away from championship caliber? ( I don't think it is) 

If they think so they give up draft capitol to get their boy right now today . if not this year win it all  then next. We know how fast that window closes. I think it's next year but I'm sitting on a couch so...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

Here's the issue. WR is one of the biggest learning curve positions in the NFL . They don't have 2 or 3 seasons to wait for the rookies to do well. This Defense is Championship caliber right now. Is the offense one stud receiver away from championship caliber? ( I don't think it is) 

If they think so they give up draft capitol to get their boy right now today . if not this year win it all  then next. We know how fast that window closes. I think it's next year but I'm sitting on a couch so...

I agree with the learning curve aspect. I do think this offense is another stud receiver away from championship caliber. If this offense can produce 20 pts a game, this defense can hold teams to 17 or less. A Von Miller or even Carlos Dunlap on defense can make this unit more dominant. I'd love for the Bills to go pilfer the Bengals roster. Green/Boyd, Dunlap would make this team a serious threat in the AFC

3 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think it’s time to stop pretending these JAGs and cast offs can be the ”guy.” Carolina pretended that having tomato cans at WR was sufficient for years and they only made it to one SuperBowl and wasted much of Cam’s career.

You just need playmakers. Brady can beat you with anybody. Everyone else can’t. If Beane and co thought a slow UDFA CFL player was the answer at WR, they need their heads examined.

Even Brady cannot win with Nobody's....He still had  elite players in Edelman and Rob.  Hopefully, the Bills found one in Brown,  Colesly and Knox

1 hour ago, BeefCurtns said:

Good points. I would hate to be inside Beanes's head right now. When is the right time to decide the right time! Is this team ready now or a year away!

1 hour ago, BeefCurtns said:

Good points, but at the same time, good organizations can build a strong foundation that keeps that window open for as long as you have that franchise QB.

The Pats window hasn't been closed for 20 years, so you really never know. The Seahawks, Saints, Steelers, Chargers, Packers, Vikings, Chiefs, etc. have all been relevant or at least in the conversation for quite a while, even if they have their down years. 

Hopefully the Bills can become like that and have a strong enough core that we just have to rotate parts & assemble players on rookie contracts that can keep your prospects up. All of that is contingent on having a stable QB though.

So it depends on how you view Josh. If he's going to be a guy that can't ever elevate the talent around him & needs to be propped up by skill position players, then no, I don't think you try to push for a big trade now.

Yes, the defense is great now, but you have to be the ELITE of the elite to have one of those seasons where the defense dominates everyone on the way to a Super Bowl while the offense just does enough not to lose. The way the offense turns the ball over, this defense won't have the opportunity to do that.

Not to mention the defense is relatively young and can still stay here for a while. There's no reason we can't resign guys who's contracts expire while still improving even further. I don't think our defense has hit its full potential yet, and can still get much better, which is a scary & awesome thought.

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He was fantastic last year before suffering a toe injury. He was playing at an all-pro level through his first 8 games. He's only 31 and can still play. 

I understand your viewpoint on Green last year, but he has not played a down of football this year, and presumably the injury that has sidelined him has interfered with his being in "game shape" to some extent.

We seem to be talking about the 8-9 game rental of an elite WR returning from injury (which is not the same thing as an elite WR in game shape and ready to rumble).  In addition, Green has been a Bengal playing in a WCO his entire career.  We'd bring him in midseason into an offense with very different terminology where a number of players struggle to transition and where along with learning the plays, he'd have to develop timing and chemistry with a new QB

I could be wrong, often am, but I don't think Beane will see the value here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Not to mention the defense is relatively young and can still stay here for a while. There's no reason we can't resign guys who's contracts expire while still improving even further. I don't think our defense has hit its full potential yet, and can still get much better, which is a scary & awesome thought.

We could lose the following starters on defense after this season

Shaq Lawson -  FA

Jordan Phillips -  FA

Jordan Poyer  -  FA 

Alexander -  Retiring 

And the following could get cut:

Trent Murphy 

That is a lot of potential changes to the Defense in 2021

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand your viewpoint on Green last year, but he has not played a down of football this year, and presumably the injury that has sidelined him has interfered with his being in "game shape" to some extent.

We seem to be talking about the 8-9 game rental of an elite WR returning from injury (which is not the same thing as an elite WR in game shape and ready to rumble).  In addition, Green has been a Bengal playing in a WCO his entire career.  We'd bring him in midseason into an offense with very different terminology where a number of players struggle to transition and where along with learning the plays, he'd have to develop timing and chemistry with a new QB

I could be wrong, often am, but I don't think Beane will see the value here.

Myself personally, If a trade was made for Green the move would be more about the playoffs and beyond IMO. Giving Green plenty of time to develop chemistry with Allen along with getting acclimated to the new system. ( IMO )

On the other hand as easily as Beane sent Sammy Watkins packing the value of an elite WR may not be as high in the young GM's mind as I would like to believe. 

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Myself personally, If a trade was made for Green the move would be more about the playoffs and beyond IMO. Giving Green plenty of time to develop chemistry with Allen along with getting acclimated to the new system. ( IMO )

On the other hand as easily as Beane sent Sammy Watkins packing the value of an elite WR may not be as high in the young GM's mind as I would like to believe. 

Sammy Watkins was a bad egg here by the time Beane got involved. It was a divorce move, not one because we didn’t need WR help. He traded for Benjamin 7-8 weeks later.

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Sammy Watkins was a bad egg here by the time Beane got involved. It was a divorce move, not one because we didn’t need WR help. He traded for Benjamin 7-8 weeks later.

Clearly a bad egg working with Tyrod Taylor throughout the off season for the betterment of the team.

I like Tyrod Taylor, his leadership, work ethic. The only problem was Taylor struggled in the passing game.  Buffalo didn't throw the football as often as most NFL teams so we have an above average WR in Sammy Watkins that wasn't going to get enough touches to satisfy anyone.

Watkins was traded...

Edited by Figster