R Talbot (via ESPN) - bills on the hunt for a WR

Reed83HOF

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The WRs taken in the first round in the past 3 seasons (2016-2018 prior to this one) are as follows:

Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson, Will Fuller,  Laquon Treadwell, Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross, DJ Moore, and Calvin Ridley.

Ridley did the best of the bunch as a rookie, and he had just 821 yards as a complementary player to Julio Jones. 

Not a great group in terms of first/second-year production.

Woof. What a list. 

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, what would your top offer be in a year with a draft that is chock full of wide receivers?

If Green appears healthy and I'm Beane, a 2

There's just to much hit and miss with high round WR's IMO. Zay Jones is a good example.

Then you always have to wonder how long a player takes to develop.

I read an article last season about WR's drafted in round 1 the 3 previous seasons. Only one of them had exceeded 40 receptions a season and 1 made the pro bowl If my memory serves me correctly. Out of 13 players.

Thats not very good return fro a 1st round draft pick in my humble opinion. 

Edited by Figster

53 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think we need a really good WR right now, not one in 2-3 years. We can’t wait for a guy to develop. 

Most players aren’t great out of the box. I can’t name the last WR who had 1000 yards as a rookie. Amari Cooper?

Agreed.  While I really hope we don’t trade our 1st or 2nd rd picks, if that’s what it takes to get a WR that can REALLY help, I’m in.  Sucks that Duke got hurt last week and we didn’t see more of him.  He might be that guy....but he might not be.  We’re 5-1.  I don’t know of a 5-1 team that doesn’t think that they’re super bowl contenders. 2020 Draft picks don’t help us win a super bowl in 2019 unless we trade them.  

IMO, the question is:  How close does Beane think this team is to winning this year.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

Agreed.  While I really hope we don’t trade our 1st or 2nd rd picks, if that’s what it takes to get a WR that can REALLY help, I’m in.  Sucks that Duke got hurt last week and we didn’t see more of him.  He might be that guy....but he might not be.  We’re 5-1.  I don’t know of a 5-1 team that doesn’t think they they’re super bowl contenders. 2020 Draft picks don’t help us win a super bowl in 2019 unless we trade them.  

IMO, the question is:  How close does Beane think this team is to winning this year.

Agreed.  The time is now. 

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  While I really hope we don’t trade our 1st or 2nd rd picks, if that’s what it takes to get a WR that can REALLY help, I’m in.  Sucks that Duke got hurt last week and we didn’t see more of him.  He might be that guy....but he might not be.  We’re 5-1.  I don’t know of a 5-1 team that doesn’t think they they’re super bowl contenders. 2020 Draft picks don’t help us win a super bowl in 2019 unless we trade them.  

I think it’s time to stop pretending these JAGs and cast offs can be the ”guy.” Carolina pretended that having tomato cans at WR was sufficient for years and they only made it to one SuperBowl and wasted much of Cam’s career.

You just need playmakers. Brady can beat you with anybody. Everyone else can’t. If Beane and co thought a slow UDFA CFL player was the answer at WR, they need their heads examined.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think it’s time to stop pretending these JAGs and cast offs can be the ”guy.” Carolina pretended that having tomato cans at WR was sufficient for years and they only made it to one SuperBowl and wasted much of Cam’s career.

You just need playmakers. Brady can beat you with anybody. Everyone else can’t. If Beane and co thought a slow UDFA CFL player was the answer at WR, they need their heads examined.

I don’t really think we need a “true #1”.  I think John Brown is quite possibly the most underrated player in football.  We stole him in free agency.  He gets open and catches everything.  

I just don’t think we’re going to run an offense that utilizes their “#1” to give them 100+ catches and 1300 yards.  I think Brown is doing just about as well as any other “#1” would be.

I think we need a bigger Red zone threat WR.  Not necessarily a “a #1”.  Although duke could be that guy.

Other than Aj, maybe Marvin Jones?  Would they trade him?  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  While I really hope we don’t trade our 1st or 2nd rd picks, if that’s what it takes to get a WR that can REALLY help, I’m in.  Sucks that Duke got hurt last week and we didn’t see more of him.  He might be that guy....but he might not be.  We’re 5-1.  I don’t know of a 5-1 team that doesn’t think that they’re super bowl contenders. 2020 Draft picks don’t help us win a super bowl in 2019 unless we trade them.  

Thank you! That is what I have been saying all week! Where does Beane see this team at this point? How close are they? What moves must be made?