R Talbot (via ESPN) - bills on the hunt for a WR

Reed83HOF

46 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So you think a third gets it done? ?

Lol. It's a joke until he becomes a Bill.

Mike Evans would be an upgrade at WR obviously, but anything more than a 3rd and Bills' fans will begin losing sleep at night at some point, wondering if the team got its money's worth.

Mike Evans has never had a season with a catch % of 60 or better more than once and the season he did, it was slightly lower than Sammy Watkins' best season with the Bills; Sammy Watkins didn't feel like a go-to receiver even in his best season with Buffalo. 

I'm just sayin'.

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

When he was drafted he was considered by all to be the rawest QB with the highest upside. We are basically one full year of starts into his tenure as our starting quarterback and people seem surprised that he needs to develop. Actually .. in many ways he appears to be ahead of schedule. He is a leader on and off the field and while he needs to deliver consistently he has shown that he can deliver especially in crunch time.  "139.6 = NFL-leading fourth quarter passer rating

If you were a wrong Josher because he was never going to develop accuracy .. well he has certainly grown in that area and you probably need to give him time to see where he ends up in a year or so. If you were a right Josher you signed up that he was a developmental guy and you should be happy with the progress. 

I feel like we are actually watching Josh Allen turn the corner as we speak. His development this season has been wonderful, and with a light schedule, he should gain valuable experience against weaker opponents. That will propel the Bills into the late season showdown against the Patriots, hopefully for the division crown!

Getting back to the thread subject, I wonder which guys in the league at WR are "process" guys. Any ideas there? I'm sure Mike Evans would fit into the culture, but we could have had him in the draft. I will think of the trade up for Sammy Watkins when we talk receivers for the next decade or so.

Lastly, I expect a move before the trade deadline from Beane, but I don't necessarily think it'll be at wideout. OLB & DE/Edge are strong contenders, too.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Lol. It's a joke until he becomes a Bill.

Mike Evans would be an upgrade at WR obviously, but anything more than a 3rd and Bills' fans will begin losing sleep at night at some point, wondering if the team got its money's worth.

Mike Evans has never had a season with a catch % of 60 or better more than once and the season he did, it was slightly lower than Sammy Watkins' best season with the Bills; Sammy Watkins didn't feel like a go-to receiver even in his best season with Buffalo. 

I'm just sayin'.

Consider Evans QBs!! I, personally, would love the acquisition for the simple fact I could pull my #83 jersey from the moth balls

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep another poster thinking 14-10 wins is the way to go..... 

Thankfully I can PVR games & channel surf, because while they are winning, the games are not particularly fun to watch.

Ughhhhhh.  

Ahhh.  One of those guys who aren't happy with wins.  In this pass happy league where scoring 30+ points is becoming the norm, you've gotta find a way to shut that down.  Defense wins games.  Our offense will come together.  they're still incredibly young who just need to gel like the defense has.  Our defense is in their 3rd year playing together which is why they're so successful right now.  Our offense is entirely new.  Just relax already with not scoring much.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep another poster thinking 14-10 wins is the way to go..... 

Thankfully I can PVR games & channel surf, because while they are winning, the games are not particularly fun to watch.

Ughhhhhh.  

just when I think you cant get anymore embarrassing....

go ahead and keep channel surfing. find something else to do.... and quit commenting on it

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

I think if Beane were to make a splash move (such as Green or Evans) it will likely come after the Eagles game.  This game is going to be a good gauge for this team - with a win he has got to like their chances this year (and into the near future given current composition of the team and cap situation) and draft capital may feel like it's more expendable.  With a loss it may temper expectations and expose some flaws with the team that need addressed before making a serious run in 2020/2021, at which point I'm sure he'd value having as much draft capital as possible.  I don't think you make a big time move unless you have your sights set on something more than just a wildcard birth.  This game will go a long way to show what the ceiling for this team could be - and I'd expect Beane to respond accordingly.

WR and QB require chemistry, it does not happen overnight.

Unless you got a Tom Brady throwing or a seminal talent: ala Antonio Brown, I think a mid-season WR trade is very likely to yield little, and we know AB ain't comin' here--thank God. Two firsts for a blue chip WR seems insane to me, even a single first, unless it is a Mike Evans type, but personally, I think that guy is so full of himself, tends to be a malcontent and does not get separation. His talent is undeniable though.

If we want to help this team, we get a legit pass rusher, another linebacker to backup Milano or look for value, high possible upside cast-offs. But every new addition means someone has to go.

Two firsts for a certain DE/LB in Denver, that is a pool I'd swim in, maybe.

Edited by foreboding

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

It has been said a thousand times, Denver is NOT trading Miller

In this league, every player is on the market if the price is right.  It doesn't matter how many times we hear that a team won't trade a player, if the price is right, that team will make a move.

12 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

IMO I think Beane is going to think twice before trading a high draft asset for rent-a-player.  So some of these name that have been thrown around like Mike Evans....it’s not going to happen.  

The 2020 draft is supposed to be very high on WR’s and I can’t see him giving away a premium pick to have a WR play on the roster for a half a season.  

As much as I’d love to see AJ Green on the time, I don’t think I’d trade a 1st or even 2nd round pick for him

I don't think Tampa would trade Evans, but if for some reason they did, he certainly wouldn't be a rent-a-player. He has 4 or 5 years left on his contract (which is probably one of the main reasons Tampa wouldn't trade him in the first place).

Does anyone have a good idea about what's really going on with Foster? He was so good (relative to what anyone could have expected) last season, and given Allen's deep throwing this season, I can only conclude that he was sporting some sort of homing beacon for Allen's deep balls last year. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Does anyone have a good idea about what's really going on with Foster? He was so good (relative to what anyone could have expected) last season, and given Allen's deep throwing this season, I can only conclude that he was sporting some sort of homing beacon for Allen's deep balls last year. 

He was also cut and his effort was questioned.  I'd say he's probably not "wired" the way McD likes.

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

He was also cut and his effort was questioned.  I'd say he's probably not "wired" the way McD likes.

Yeah, I know that, but does anyone have any info on what's really going right now? I assume he's hurt and simply not able to perform at 100 percent, and if his speed game isn't there, he's not much use. But I don't really know.  

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

Consider Evans QBs!! I, personally, would love the acquisition for the simple fact I could pull my #83 jersey from the moth balls

Jameis isn't great, but he's roughly an average starting QB. He's not so bad that you can write off a disappointing Evans stat due to the presence of Jameis.

In reality though, the reason Evans' catch rate is relatively low is because the throws that come his way are generally low probability throws. Deep balls in general are low-percentage; add in the fact that Evans tends to get contested deep balls and it makes it even more low percentage. He's still a great, possibly even elite WR though. Having said that, I highly highly doubt Tampa has any interest in trading him. Worst case scenario (from their point of view), him and Godwin are exactly what they want in place for a new QB next year. Best case scenario is that Jameis settles in the 2nd half of the year and they have a great offense and an average or below-average defense.

If Buffalo wants to trade for a WR, I would think there's at least some chance of getting the following guys:

Difference makers:

• AJ Green
  • Corey Davis

Under-the-radar:

• Marqise Lee
  • Nelson Agholer
  • Paul Richardson

I'd be fine with taking a flier on any of these guys depending on the price.

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think they are dangling him as trade bait.