Levi Wallace against bigger, stronger receivers

WideNine

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I saw it the same way. Wallace was playing deep (too deep) consistently and Fitz was pitching the short out with tremendous accuracy and touch. It didn't appear to be size/strength issue from my viewpoint. 

Well, we will see the next time he goes up against a bigger physical receiver who can high-point the ball.

Just something to keep an eye on 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

He only goes like 175, but that does not tell the whole story. I am just not sure if being physical is his game or it may be that he is just more used to playing zone up to now.

He plays off receivers a bit, is lanky, has deceptive recovery speed, and takes great angles - plenty of times QBs have thought there was something there that Wallace has been able to shut it down at the last second. He has only gotten better and is a good complimentary corner to White.

I kind of knew starting this thread may start the chicken little comments, but I do think Preston was eating his lunch till that fumble and it made me wonder if the Bills have a similar situation how they respond - do they give Wallace another shot or do they match-up one of our safeties on him. Also thought I would move the conversation away from Allen for a bit of a refreshing look at other areas of the team.

We also need a solution for backing up Milano - curious if Beane pulls the trigger before the deadline on the 29th.

This can not be emphasized enough. Levi is exclusively a zone corner where Tre is proficient in both zone and man. Not having our best cover LB Milano  in coverage minimizing passing windows really exposed Levi and his shortcomings against bigger WRs, especially on slants where he's easily shielded. That game really showed how important Milano is to this defense.

4 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Levi will be fine. Fitzpatrick was dropping dimes into coverage with great touch and accuracy. Even good corners get beaten on occasion when a QB is hot.  Wallace has been steady and even spectacular on a few occasions and is getting the job done.  

Williams going 6 catches for 83 yards, no touchdowns and a fumble is an OK day for a WR.  His big gainer (35 yards)  was perfectly delivered by Fitz to beat pretty good coverage.  Not really a reason to be down on Wallace. 

Often times Wallace was right there, he just couldn't get the hand in there in time.  He's doing well, all in all.  We're good at CB 2.

It was concerning this week, but not time to panic. He will be watched closely, and, yes, I'm sure other teams will try to physically miss-match him. If there is continued success (for the opposition), then time to rethink the line-up. NFL players cannot get overpowered on a regular basis, that is a ticket to the unemployment line. Stay tuned.

8 hours ago, WideNine said:

Was not saying that Levi has not been solid for us, and has come up big in games, just that going up against bigger stronger receivers may be something he will struggle with as he likes to play off of receivers rather than having receivers come right at him and out-muscle him.

Those dimes were just 50/50 jump balls and Levi was losing those to Williams. Just something to watch the next time he is matched up against a bigger more physical receiver - such as N'Keal who was out of the lineup last time we played NE.

I was expecting some more over help during the game. But Bills seem okay with what he gave up.

They do have Johnson still if they need personnel matchups i suppose.

its a fair point. but i think Bills are fine with Levi. He just got targeted Sunday. He will work on leverage tech or Frazier will get him help to let him play the ball . They are not going to throw at White and this is how it goes having a real  # 1 corner Offenses are not going to throw at 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I was expecting some more over help during the game. But Bills seem okay with what he gave up.

They do have Johnson still if they need personnel matchups i suppose.

its a fair point. but i think Bills are fine with Levi. He just got targeted Sunday. He will work on leverage tech or Frazier will get him help to let him play the ball . They are not going to throw at White and this is how it goes having a real  # 1 corner Offenses are not going to throw at 

Yeah, I saw in Frazier's presser how he was fine with Wallace giving up the 6 to 8 yard curls and slants. Seems it is more schemed for Wallace to give that cushion and keep it all in front of him. Not sure I like the idea of being fine giving up 8 yard chunks, but it has been working for them.

the Bills will look for a CB in the next few years in the draft in the event they can't keep White (which not doing so would be a mistake)... I bet we use a 1st or 2nd in the next 2 years on another CB.  McDermott's D needs at least 1 lock down corner, and White is that, but I see then planning just in case they can't keep him. 

Outside of that Levi is fine, he's not amazing, but he's fine.  It's harder than it sounds to have 2 CBs like White since he's top 5 in the NFL. 

If we’re talking about improving pass D In the future (or even in the present) I’d suggest that you’d get a much bigger bang for your buck by acquiring another edge rusher who’s better/healthier than Murphy. Unless Johnson can become that guy. I’m very happy with the secondary as a whole. I think it is a great unit. 

I don't get this Levi Wallace wasn't good against Miami. Are people referring to the 3-4 catches he gave up?

Preston Williams had 6 catches for 82 yards for ****s sake. If that's what gets you upset............. I mean, how did you survive the past 20 years? 

he gave up 2 comebacks and a 30 yard pass.. it's going to happen in the NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, WideNine said:

Yeah, I saw in Frazier's presser how he was fine with Wallace giving up the 6 to 8 yard curls and slants. Seems it is more schemed for Wallace to give that cushion and keep it all in front of him. Not sure I like the idea of being fine giving up 8 yard chunks, but it has been working for them.

I suppose it has to be considered in the scheme of the whole game and adjustments.

Bills never panicked and neither did Levi , even though he was clearly targeted by Miami.

Poyer and Hyde have said , keep everything in front of them. That they were okay to give up as you call them "chunks" : )
Our Redzone is pretty decent and we have been lucky against field goals.

as long as nothing gets past our safeties? i suppose i will accept it.

thanks WideNine : )

9 hours ago, MR8 said:

the Bills will look for a CB in the next few years in the draft in the event they can't keep White (which not doing so would be a mistake)... I bet we use a 1st or 2nd in the next 2 years on another CB.  McDermott's D needs at least 1 lock down corner, and White is that, but I see then planning just in case they can't keep him. 

Outside of that Levi is fine, he's not amazing, but he's fine.  It's harder than it sounds to have 2 CBs like White since he's top 5 in the NFL. 

we had 3  CBs who were challenging Levi for that spot.

he has earned his spot it seems.

rough days will occur.
i only saw one missed tackle on a pass  play. how many were on the stat board.

he seems decent against the run with good instincts

7 hours ago, Sunshower said:

Levi is a good corner but I think a great corner would take our defense into the stratosphere. I’d love a Patrick Peterson opposite to Tre and we could definitely use a dominant pass rusher and more depth at LB. We got a good team but we’re still missing a few pieces, still very very good though.

geesh.

• Like (+1) 1

Even the almighty Tre White has had bad games here and there.

It's just part of the job as a corner back.

Wallace has had a very good season so far and this one hiccup is not going to define him.

7 hours ago, Sunshower said:

Levi is a good corner but I think a great corner would take our defense into the stratosphere. I’d love a Patrick Peterson opposite to Tre and we could definitely use a dominant pass rusher and more depth at LB. We got a good team but we’re still missing a few pieces, still very very good though.

Can't have all pros at every position. How many teams have two great corners?

On 10/22/2019 at 6:04 PM, JM57 said:

I don't think it's just the size/strength of Williams that got the best of Wallace. Williams was undrafted, but he was undrafted for being a turd off the field, despite having massive talent on it. Wallace was undrafted due to his limitations as a player and a matchup like this shows it. 

Yet Wallace statistically before the Miami game was having he best season of any DB on our team.  Despite 19 more targets against him, he had given up less yards than Tre.  And he gives up half as many yards per completion as Tre did.  QB rating vs him was lower too.  

Lets not all over exaggerate off one game, and Wallace wasn't terrible in this game anyway.  

We have the best secondary in football, and Wallace is a big part of that too.  Doesnt matter HOW you get to the NFL, it matters what you do on the field once you are here.  And Wallace balled all last year and all this year, including surrending ZERO completions against the Brady and the Patriots despite 10 targets against him.   

19 hours ago, Nelius said:

The legend of Preston Williams around here lately. I wouldn't mind him as a receiver either, but I'm not worried about Levi Wallace right now.

No kidding right?  I mean...he had 6 catches for 82 yards and all of a sudden everyone is panicked about that?  LOL.  And not all 82 were even against Wallace.  

The "defensive struggles" against Miami are being GREATLY exaggerated this week because the game was closer than people felt it should have been.  Reality is we only gave up 14 points (which is pretty dam good) when the game mattered.  Up 2 scores, with little time on the clock and no timeouts, we played soft on D to allow the Dolphins to run clock time off.  Ended up getting another score because of it, but that was mostly due to the fact we again were letting them catch stuff in front of our defenders to keep the clock running.

Our team was flat in the first half, than we blanked them in the 2nd half until a final last second TD while up multiple scores.  People need to calm down. 

Edited by Alphadawg7