Levi Wallace against bigger, stronger receivers

WideNine

I like Levi, but after watching him against Preston Williams who had a significant height and weight advantage, I think Frazier is going to have to rethink how he matches him up.

You can bet that Beligoat noticed and with N'Keal healthy he will be looking to exploit that match-up.

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Is that the first time he has gone up against a big receiver?

Frazier was saying in his presser this week that he was finally feeling confident and it was good to let Wallace handle man coverage as he has locked down that #2 corner role. And that it was nice not having to move White around and such....have to listen to it again.

But he is like a generous 178 and Preston goes 215 or so, but he was getting pushed around, and man handled, screened, and out- jumped.

It was a mismatch out there.

I don't think it's just the size/strength of Williams that got the best of Wallace. Williams was undrafted, but he was undrafted for being a turd off the field, despite having massive talent on it. Wallace was undrafted due to his limitations as a player and a matchup like this shows it. 

15 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Frazier was saying in his presser this week that he was finally feeling confident and it was good to let Wallace handle man coverage as he has locked down that #2 corner role. And that it was nice not having to move White around and such....have to listen to it again.

But he is like a generous 178 and Preston goes 215 or so, but he was getting pushed around, and man handled, screened, and out- jumped.

It was a mismatch out there.

Ok fair enough..

I agree he had a poor game but has been pretty good this year.... don't know yet if its a case of one poor game or he cant fill that role..

To the OP point, Preston Williams used his body to both gain inside position and separation a lot against Levi.  Giving up almost 40 pounds and 4" in height will do that.  We had good seats to view this.  This is film all the Bills opponents will now study so Levi has to figure out techniques that will allow him to stay inside of bigger receivers.  You all may laugh, but Leodis McKelvin was really good at this at times.  Maybe pop in some old McKelvin film.....

Levi will be fine. Fitzpatrick was dropping dimes into coverage with great touch and accuracy. Even good corners get beaten on occasion when a QB is hot.  Wallace has been steady and even spectacular on a few occasions and is getting the job done.  

Williams going 6 catches for 83 yards, no touchdowns and a fumble is an OK day for a WR.  His big gainer (35 yards)  was perfectly delivered by Fitz to beat pretty good coverage.  Not really a reason to be down on Wallace. 

• Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Levi will be fine. Fitzpatrick was dropping dimes into coverage with great touch and accuracy. Even good corners get beaten on occasion when a QB is hot.  Wallace has been steady and even spectacular on a few occasions and is getting the job done.  

Williams going 6 catches for 83 yards, no touchdowns and a fumble is an OK day for a WR.  His big gainer (35 yards)  was perfectly delivered by Fitz to beat pretty good coverage.  Not really a reason to be down on Wallace. 

Was not saying that Levi has not been solid for us, and has come up big in games, just that going up against bigger stronger receivers may be something he will struggle with as he likes to play off of receivers rather than having receivers come right at him and out-muscle him.

Those dimes were just 50/50 jump balls and Levi was losing those to Williams. Just something to watch the next time he is matched up against a bigger more physical receiver - such as N'Keal who was out of the lineup last time we played NE.

Edited by WideNine

7 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Levi has been absolutely awesome this year, one game where hes lackluster, and now hes a liability?

Jeez folks, can we not just talk about our players without hitting the all or nothing alarm bells.

Never said Levi sucked, just that I saw something against larger more physical receivers that other teams that have those kind of receivers will look to exploit. Not every team has those receivers, and it does not mean that Wallace has not played well up to this point.

43 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Levi is 6 foot which is tall for a corner.  I know there are bigger ones but I would say 5”10 is probably the average....I think.

He only goes like 175, but that does not tell the whole story. I am just not sure if being physical is his game or it may be that he is just more used to playing zone up to now.

He plays off receivers a bit, is lanky, has deceptive recovery speed, and takes great angles - plenty of times QBs have thought there was something there that Wallace has been able to shut it down at the last second. He has only gotten better and is a good complimentary corner to White.

I kind of knew starting this thread may start the chicken little comments, but I do think Preston was eating his lunch till that fumble and it made me wonder if the Bills have a similar situation how they respond - do they give Wallace another shot or do they match-up one of our safeties on him. Also thought I would move the conversation away from Allen for a bit of a refreshing look at other areas of the team.

We also need a solution for backing up Milano - curious if Beane pulls the trigger before the deadline on the 29th.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

I saw it the same way. Wallace was playing deep (too deep) consistently and Fitz was pitching the short out with tremendous accuracy and touch. It didn't appear to be size/strength issue from my viewpoint.