Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Dies

TSNBDSC

I hope for this opportunity every time I board. Damn straight i can land this pig!

I have hundreds of hours of simulator time (real airline full motion simulators) - even smoothly landing a 777 on its roof. Simulators dont lie. Man that was a fun job!!! Spent more time ***** off pretending to fly than actually working.

1 hour ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I hope for this opportunity every time I board. Damn straight i can land this pig!

I have hundreds of hours of simulator time (real airline full motion simulators) - even smoothly landing a 777 on its roof. Simulators dont lie. Man that was a fun job!!! Spent more time ***** off pretending to fly than actually working.

I've got a few thousand hours on the 777, and I'd like to know how you can "land it on it's roof."

Such a thing is not possible in the real world.

Where did you do this, and for who?

Edited by sherpa

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

I've got a few thousand hours on the 777, and I'd like to know how you can "land it on it's roof."

Flight Safety Simulator Systems DIvision Broken Arrow OK. That was the first 777 simulator. (1995) She was a hangar queen for at least the three three years while I was there.

777 can maintain altitude inverted,  and according to 1997 software.......that was fun!

The Bell 412 helicopter was even more fun.!!!!!

I got fired, for having too much fun.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

26 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Flight Safety Simulator Systems DIvision Broken Arrow OK. That was the first 777 simulator. (1995) She was a hangar queen for at least the three three years while I was there.

777 can maintain altitude inverted,  and according to 1997 software.......that was fun!

The Bell 412 helicopter was even more fun.!!!!!

I got fired, for having too much fun.

It can do so briefly, but such a thing is ridiculous, and it absolutely cannot be done for any period of time.

I'm not sure how much time you have in the real world inverted, but such a thing requires -1G, which would not only make it nearly impossible to fly for anyone without a great deal of fighter experience, but the trash that would be in your eyes would be amazing.

Your claim is that you could land it inverted, if that's what you meant by landing it "on the roof."

Doing so would, of necessity, rip off the vertical stabilizer and shortly thereafter, the horizontal stabilizer, giving it no lateral or longitudinal control.

If you could do this, and somehow survive, that would truly be amazing, and I guarantee the airplane wouldn't.

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

It can do so briefly, but such a thing is ridiculous, and it absolutely cannot be done for any period of time.

I'm not sure how much time you have in the real world inverted, but such a thing requires -1G, which would not only make it nearly impossible to fly for anyone without a great deal of fighter experience, but the trash that would be in your eyes would be amazing.

Your claim is that you could land it inverted, if that's what you meant by landing it "on the roof."

Doing so would, of necessity, rip off the vertical stabilizer and shortly thereafter, the horizontal stabilizer, giving it no lateral or longitudinal control.

If you could do this, and somehow survive, that would truly be amazing, and I guarantee the airplane wouldn't.

I swear. That one time  in the simulator Twas awesome!

I had hundreds of nights in the sims 

1 hour ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Agreed Sherpa, ridiculous,  but a 777 can fly up side down and hold altitu *so says the sim 

Try it next time you are   simming.

I flew the thing for years, and am very familiar with the fuel system and items in the accessory gear box of the engines, like oil, hydraulics etc., and it can't.

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

Cool.  I got to do an F-15E sim one time, that was fun.  Don't think I exactly brought it in unscathed!

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

I flew the thing for years, and am very familiar with the fuel system and items in the accessory gear box of the engines, like oil, hydraulics etc., and it can't.

Yeah, well, who am I to believe? A 90's model computer, or a veteran pilot???

J/K,  I dont doubt you, but the sim allowed it. Lol.

4 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Yeah, well, who am I to believe? A 90's model computer, or a veteran pilot???

J/K,  I dont doubt you, but the sim allowed it. Lol.

I'm sure that's a bug in the simulator software. Probably nobody thought to test a condition where the plane lands on its roof.