PFF is failing to mention....Allen related

Reader

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I have done the same. And you are right there are times it doesn't quite seem to stack up. I think it is because they don't do it game by game. Rather they weight by snap counts. So say week 1 you play 40 snaps and then week 2 and week 3 you play 20 snaps. Your overall grade is more heavily weighted by your week 1 performance. But then week 4 you play 50 snaps. Suddenly the extent to which your week 1 grade is weighted in the overall is significantly reduced.

Nah I was weighting it for snap counts when I was doing it too. It's definitely something else.

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You think PFF don't watch the games?

I mean the whole game, the way scouts do...live.  They talk to the people around the scene and get to know so much more than watching cut-ups of individual plays.

So let me ask you, does PFF have a live rep at the games scouting the way NFL teams do?  How many?  Do they meet with coaches and trainers to get data?

This type of info has value, but it has limits.  Makes guys say dumb things like:

"a parody of an NFL quarterback prospect" and "the battleground old-school scouts are going to die on."

20 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

I think what's kind of happening is Allen is waiting too long to throw it, and he's able to do so because his arm allows it.  He's waiting for the WR to be already past the defender to launch it, instead he needs to trust his receivers' speed and soon as he's even, he's leavin'.  I don't have the statistics but it's safe to surmise that the completion percentage of long balls that go 40-50 air yards is vastly better than long balls that traveling 50-60 yards in the air.  Allen makes it harder for himself

I think he tried that in thee NE game and did not work. He was not able to lead the WR to the spot.  Instead he under threw repeatedly and was picked off.  Probably the "Ghosts" of NE is haunting him now and we should not "air" it  ?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Aireskoi said:

I mean the whole game, the way scouts do...live.  They talk to the people around the scene and get to know so much more than watching cut-ups of individual plays.

So let me ask you, does PFF have a live rep at the games scouting the way NFL teams do?  How many?  Do they meet with coaches and trainers to get data?

This type of info has value, but it has limits.  Makes guys say dumb things like:

"a parody of an NFL quarterback prospect" and "the battleground old-school scouts are going to die on."

They watch the whole game. Yes. Not live, no. And they don't pretend to do all the other stuff you suggest. 

On 10/23/2019 at 1:01 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, PFF didn't mention kumquats either. Damn them. They leave so many things out.

Whenever you hear, "they left out," it's almost always something not necessarily relevant, but important to the kibitzer. Same in this case, IMO.

And it really doesn't make much sense to say PFF doesn't know what they're doing. They do. And the proof of that is that nearly every NFL team buys their materials. They wouldn't do that if they didn't know what they are doing. PFF gets a lot of crap here and most of it is of the "I don't like the message, and here's the messenger standing right here ... wait, I've got an idea" variety.

Agreed that Allen is trending up a bit the last two games, but this last game was a lot better than the Pats game but not really a very good game for him. He still has a long way to go, looks to me.

They forgot Sasquatch and the Heat Mizner also

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/23/2019 at 3:49 AM, Doc Brown said:

This is bizarre considering what we thought his strengths and weaknesses were coming into the season.  I am really encouraged with him putting touch on his short passes and his pass to McKenzie last week was the perfect example of this as he hit him with a touch pass in stride.  On the other hand, he's missed wide open WR's down the field who were behind the defense that would've been touchdowns.  It may be he gets overly excited and that extra adrenaline causes the ball to sail.  Or maybe his accuracy problem is most pronounced on the long ball.

the problem is not taking a fraction of a second to plant his feet before throwing. seems like he never has 2 feet on the ground on those and he's just chuckin it.

when he stays in the pocket and starts hitting the quick outes, he's much better.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think he tried that in thee NE game and did not work. He was not able to lead the WR to the spot.  Instead he under threw repeatedly and was picked off.  Probably the "Ghosts" of NE is haunting him now and we should not "air" it  ?

Not true at all but ok.

He's been throwing the deep ball relatively the same way his entire career.  But I guess a game 3 weeks ago has altered everything for him lmao.

The underthrow to Zay was because Ford whiffed his block and he tried to throw it off his backfoot all arm because zay was open

the pick by McCourty was the same play that almost was to Foster in the Bengals game that got broken up.  He didn't see the weakside safety at all and he rolled over to pick off the deep post...which is his best deep ball route he throws.  He's 0/14 career on go/fly routes, with 3/14 on target (at least two were drops by Foster (Vikings 2018 and 2nd Patriots game 2018))

On 10/23/2019 at 1:44 AM, Laughing Coffin said:

I think what's kind of happening is Allen is waiting too long to throw it, and he's able to do so because his arm allows it.  He's waiting for the WR to be already past the defender to launch it, instead he needs to trust his receivers' speed and soon as he's even, he's leavin'.  I don't have the statistics but it's safe to surmise that the completion percentage of long balls that go 40-50 air yards is vastly better than long balls that traveling 50-60 yards in the air.  Allen makes it harder for himself

Even waiting that extra second, hes still overthrowing his guys though

On 10/22/2019 at 6:08 PM, billsfan89 said:

Before the Pats game PFF was saying how they might have to eat some crow on Josh Allen. So they aren't dogmatic in how they hate him, but there certainly is a bias. 

There is some inherent bias among the writers, but the fact that his numbers have trended up throws some cold water on the idea that the metrics themselves are biased/worthless. If there was some grand anti-JA conspiracy, the grades would reflect that. I look at the numbers; not the writer's extrapolations.

On 10/23/2019 at 6:49 AM, buffalobillswin said:

PFF doesn’t like my QB so I think they stink!

This.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1